Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

candy red
    95 chevy camaro z28

how much horsepower

95 Z28 Borla full exhaust minus cat, hooker headers, k&n full system, TB bypass, performance MAF, msd ign, taylor wires, ac delco platinum plugs, 3:73 gears rear posi, pulley, 160 thermo slp lid....just got the car maybe a week ago in Dayton ohio im from Detroit..the guy told me it had approx 370-380 not sure on torque..... any of you guys have an idea of numbers, because i havent found a shop around to test it out yet...this is my first high performance vehicle

red
    95 Z28

~290 rwhp on a dynojet

red
    96 ss

Quote Originally Posted by 94redmaro View Post
    95 Z28 Borla full exhaust minus cat, hooker headers, k&n full system, TB bypass, performance MAF, msd ign, taylor wires, ac delco platinum plugs, 3:73 gears rear posi, pulley, 160 thermo slp lid....just got the car maybe a week ago in Dayton ohio im from Detroit..the guy told me it had approx 370-380 not sure on torque..... any of you guys have an idea of numbers, because i havent found a shop around to test it out yet...this is my first high performance vehicle
    well if its a auto i'd say 260ish to 270ish , 6 speed 270s to 280's. it all depends on where the car was at the build, i have seen high factory numbers and very low factory numbers, tranny will effect you alot also. a tune would make a hugh differance

Black
    2002 Camaro SS

93-95 Z-28 were rated at 275HP Stock out of the factory 96-97 Had 285HP!
    Borla full exhaust minus cat, hooker headers, k&n full system, TB bypass, performance MAFand SLP Lod all add up to horsepower So I would say 280 to 290 but hey maybe even more u never know It all depends how well kept the camaro has been.

candy red
    95 chevy camaro z28

yea i know ,the guy that sold it to me said it had around 325hp and 360lbs torque but my mechanic said that it was around 310hp 340lbs torque i think it has more than what im saying, it was very well kept and i was actually on the verge of buying a ls1 ws6 and then sorry to say a mustang gt (yea i know) ...and the gt i drove was rated at 260hp and it wasnt really responsive when i pressed the medal down but had a nice sound and probably is faster than alot of supposedly fast regular cars, and then when i drove the ls1 of course it was very impressive, but i fell in love with the Z the borla sounds real nice and it really goes....im already building up a kill list, neighbor 98 corvette, and friends 04 mustang gt(cold air, cat back,k&n), and other friends 03 mercury marauder (cat back, chip)

red
    96 ss

Quote Originally Posted by prietodogg View Post
    93-95 Z-28 were rated at 275HP Stock out of the factory 96-97 Had 285HP!
    Borla full exhaust minus cat, hooker headers, k&n full system, TB bypass, performance MAFand SLP Lod all add up to horsepower So I would say 280 to 290 but hey maybe even more u never know It all depends how well kept the camaro has been.
    by the way i am talking about rwhp, to me flywheel is worthless. its all in what is making it to the ground.

candy red
    95 chevy camaro z28

whats the difference ,im not really that knowledgeable in that area

red
    96 ss

whats the difference ,im not really that knowledgeable in that area
    flywheel horsepower is what the motor actually makes before it looses any to the tranny or drive line. RWHP is what is left over and makes it to the ground. different trannys and different rearends will suck up more hp or less. the reason is the more mass the items have ,the more it will take the motor to turn them. thats why people go to lighter drive shafts, lighter flywheels. they dont MAKE more hp but they allow more to make it to the ground. because the lighter items don't use up as much energy to get the car in motion. i'm trying to keep it really simple in terms, if you wanna know more i'll set you up with a few pages to read.

candy red
    95 chevy camaro z28

oh okay, yea so do these cars come with gears via 3:73 4:10? i notice sometimes when i punch, well more times than not, i fish tail when i punch it. Some one told me to change my gears, and my mechanic said that it wasnt abnormal because my car has so much power/torque.....

red
    96 ss

oh okay, yea so do these cars come with gears via 3:73 4:10? i notice sometimes when i punch, well more times than not, i fish tail when i punch it. Some one told me to change my gears, and my mechanic said that it wasnt abnormal because my car has so much power/torque.....
    when you get into gears you are in altering how fast the rear tires are turning and helping get your motor into its power band quicker. the rear gears changed several times though out the years and tranny gearing combos also changed. if it is breaking traction (when its not cold outside and you don't have kumo tires on it) on a slow roll , i am will to bet they are not stock lol. i might have my stock 3:42's laying around from when i was running a 10 bolt. if i can locate them you can have,if you desire to change them. give me a sec and i'll actually look up the stats for ya , i'm sure it shouldn't be to hard to locate.

The majority of TA's and Z28's had 3.23 gear ration in the automatics, or 3.42 in a manual (thats it yours has the 150 mph speedometer). You can also tell the gear ratio from the RPO codes (located in the glove box):

GU2 - Axle, Rear 2.73 Ratio
    GU4 - Axle, Rear 3.08 Ratio
    GU5 - Axle, Rear 3.23 Ratio
    GU6 - Axle, Rear 3.42 Ratio

Borg-Warner T56:
    1993 3.36 2.07 1.35 1.00 0.80 0.62 (std)
    1993 2.97 2.07 1.43 1.00 0.80 0.62 (G92)
    1994 2.66 1.78 1.30 1.00 0.74 0.50
    1995 2.66 1.78 1.30 1.00 0.74 0.50

if you have anymore questions just pm me. i dont wanna post a bunch of stuff most of the other people already know, but i don't mind answering any questions that i can, if i can't i'll point you to someone who can
    Last edited by jasonisdn; 01-21-2007 at 12:58 PM. Reason: info

candy red
    95 chevy camaro z28

yea see im in michigan and its cold, and from a roll and from a dead stop my rear end fish tails for a sec before i gain good traction, but when i do..well you know, lol.....im not to sure if the gears have been changed on it though, because i just got it approx 2 weeks ago, and have only driven it in the cold whether obviously.....

Green
    1997 ws-6

this websit is probably the most usefull site i have ever seen for the LT1 engine this guy bought a brand new 96 ws6 in 96 and he owns a dyno.it will give you a very good idea of how much power you are getting to the ground and will give you some good ideas what to do and what to avoid. he even averages out every gain of horsepower to how much money he spent. it helps you avoid buying useless shit. take it easy man im guessing you will make atleast 330hp to the ground with that car. drive safe and be ready to spend any extra money you come across as long as you own an F body.

Green
    1997 ws-6

sorry about that the site is ws6project.com

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Badbird View Post
    im guessing you will make atleast 330hp to the ground with that car.

Uh, no he wont. He'll be lucky to break 300rwhp without a dyno tune

When the LT1's were new I saw quite a few bone stockers on chassis dyno's, they always made about 260 to 275 rwhp through a 6 speed pretty regular.
    Only way to tell for sure is get the thing on a dyno and see what happens. Every car is a little different. Larry.

Green
    1997 ws-6

my bad i was under the impression that when you dyno your car you pay for a tune on the dyno. that is what i have heard from a some friends that got their cars dynoed.

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    When the LT1's were new I saw quite a few bone stockers on chassis dyno's, they always made about 260 to 275 rwhp through a 6 speed pretty regular.
    Only way to tell for sure is get the thing on a dyno and see what happens. Every car is a little different. Larry.

275rwhp out of a stock LT1?!?! show me one dyno graph that says that (dynojet, SAE)

260 is pushing it, but I know a few have been there...

candy red
    95 chevy camaro z28

ive been scrolling through the forums and have concluded that getting a tune is essential to performance, and helps alot. How do i go about getting a tune? who does tunes? im confused because i know its different than a tune up which i just recently got.

red
    96 ss

some people use mail order tunes. IMHO you need to do a search in your local area and find someone to do a dyno tune.

Thread Information