black
    02 trans am

how do i know its an authentic 97 ss???

i have a buddy that bought a 97ss camaro with 44,000 miles from a dealer he cant take it home untill wenseday because is hasnt been inspected he saw it be delivered to the dealership and he bought it. its not t-tops.
    from my understanding the 97 super sports and 97 firehawks came with a lt4 right???
    and does this car have any value even if it doesnt have t-tops???
    i havent seen the car but is there any way of inspecting the car to see if its an authentic ss, besides the emblems???
    the dealership ran a carfax and it came back as a ss but there aways typo errors???
    i personally dont know if the engine looks different from the lt1, so does anybody have any pics off the underhood of a ss or firehawk????

thanks in advance

red
    95 Z28

Only about 100 1997 camaros had the LT4, and about 25 or so Firehawks. Those were special additions from SLP. The camaros that had the LT4 motor were white with hugger orange stripes and white wheels. So most 1997 SS cars had LT1s. Not having T tops wont affect the value of the car too much. As for checking it's authenticity... simple... get the VIN number and call SLP. It wont take long, and they will be able to verify that the car is a real SS, and they can give you the sequence number.

black
    02 trans am

the camaro is white with orange/red stripes, it does't have the white wheels, he said it has some chrome wheels, hes not sure what they looked like either.

i did some reserch on them and it probally isn't possible for it to have the lt4 because its so rare.

thanks

black
    02 trans am

my new question is:
    did all the 97 ss anniv. white with orange stripes come with an lt4 or did some come with an lt1???

thanks

red
    95 Z28

Most white/orange stripe cars were LT1 cars.

red
    96 ss

check the driver side door jam for the slp sticker, ash tray ccover will have the ss tag with its slp number also a slp tag under the hood for the after market parts thay put on that meet oem specs. thats what my 96 has that i have found in the past. also ask if they have the ss car cover that might have came with it.

Mystic Teal Pearl
    1995 Trans Am

the 97 anniversary cars had the option of chrome wheels which was a higher cost so take it how you want it. most cars were with the white wheels so the chrome wheels may give it some extra points. As for the hardtop it will be most definerly rarer car being majority were t-tops. not many ss cars had the hardtops and specially the ss but that shouldnt really reflect anything at a dealership. if it was a private sale then it would be an issue.

is it a auto or 6spd?

6spds were harder to get.

how much is the car?

black
    02 trans am

he just got it today its lt1 ss. auto.

i just came back from a little drive in it but, when he slams on it, the car makes some kind of a grinding noise. maybe the transmission??? that really sucks, he's only had the car for a couple hours and already problems have started. he said when he test drove it didn't do that. it has warrnty for 30 days so hes going to take it back to get it checked out. no check engine light, transmission oil color looks really light orange, i cant really read the level, but it looks alright, it doesn't smell burnt, but when he first pulled up and opened his hood it smelled like oil was burning...

thanks

Mystic Teal Pearl
    1995 Trans Am

well im not a tech guy but that doesnt sound like a good thing at all. you can also verify if it is indeed an anniversary car by looking at the sticker on the door and look for a "Z4C" which is the code for that package.

Thread Information