red
    2005 extreme

Question got a v6 with blown motor????

ok fellas i picked up a 95 v6 with hard top no power etc etc.
    i have done the research 4 the efi v8 swap ,so anyways i have a first gen 350 that is carbed and i thought this might be the cheaper way to go to make this a strip car for my nephew! what i was wanting to know is,
    can i adapt the front suspension to this motor etc will it work would you advise it etc
    i already have plans to throw in a spool in the rear end do axles when they break and put a t350 and beef up the rear suspension and subframes etc!
    any recomendations i would really like to hear from you guys that really know something about do this kind of a project
    my nephews project he will be part of this build also he is 15 this will be a cool project for him
    thanks
    Ed
    Last edited by EXTREME2.8; 01-15-2007 at 03:30 PM.

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Never heard of swapping a 1st gen motor into a 4th gen before but I'm sure it can be done. Will probably need some modification and fabrication. I would think going with an LT1 would be practical.

red
    2005 extreme

Quote Originally Posted by BlackLT1Z28 View Post
    Never heard of swapping a 1st gen motor into a 4th gen before but I'm sure it can be done. Will probably need some modification and fabrication. I would think going with an LT1 would be practical.
    yea well i already have a built 1st gen motor thats built
    besides not a big fan of the reverse flow lt1 motor stuff
    especially being that i already have a built motor
    that sounds more pratical

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

That's understandable, I'm just saying have fun with all the tedious fabrication that will probably be required for the swap.

red
    95 Z28

Well, you're dealing with a motor that has identical external dimensions as an LT1 motor, so not much has to be done. The two big issues you have to tackle (and they arent that big).. is motor mounts and cowl clearance for a standard type small block chevy distributor. The LT1 uses a unique type of motor mount, that is not the same as gen 1 small block. I'm sure someone has modified a stocker, and most aftermarket K member manufacturers offer an option for standard SBC motor mounts. As far as the distributor, you may have to slightly notch the cowl area to clear everything. You'll need a radiator that isnt from an LT1 car (they have the inlet/outlet placed differently than SBC would). Not sure on headers, you may find some to fit the chassis, or you could just use LT1 headers, just make sure your ports line up ok.

There's nothing tedious about any of the fabrication required here.

red
    2005 extreme

5.0this thanks for the input,
    i was cosidering the crank trigger route because i really didnt want to hack the cowl all up but if so,so be it.
    the k member is my only concern really, if needed i could replace it. will the
    v6 member work? i also didnt want the motor sitting to far up in the air either, im assuming that the aftermarket k member are high$$$
    would the best option be to just put a v8 member in it?
    hey thanks once again

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    Well, you're dealing with a motor that has identical external dimensions as an LT1 motor, so not much has to be done. The two big issues you have to tackle (and they arent that big).. is motor mounts and cowl clearance for a standard type small block chevy distributor. The LT1 uses a unique type of motor mount, that is not the same as gen 1 small block. I'm sure someone has modified a stocker, and most aftermarket K member manufacturers offer an option for standard SBC motor mounts. As far as the distributor, you may have to slightly notch the cowl area to clear everything. You'll need a radiator that isnt from an LT1 car (they have the inlet/outlet placed differently than SBC would). Not sure on headers, you may find some to fit the chassis, or you could just use LT1 headers, just make sure your ports line up ok.

There's nothing tedious about any of the fabrication required here.

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by EXTREME2.8 View Post
    5.0this thanks for the input,
    i was cosidering the crank trigger route because i really didnt want to hack the cowl all up but if so,so be it.
    the k member is my only concern really, if needed i could replace it. will the
    v6 member work? i also didnt want the motor sitting to far up in the air either, im assuming that the aftermarket k member are high$$$
    would the best option be to just put a v8 member in it?
    hey thanks once again
    As far as the cowl... Alot of guys have done it. We're not talking about removing half the firewall, in fact, I dont think there's too much to it, and if you need to you could put some metal back in to strengthen it back up if needed.

K members... aftermarket units are typically 300-400$. I'm sure you could adapt a small block chevy style motor mount to the k member you have, or to a stock V8 K member (which could be bought fairly cheap). A welder and some fabrication skills go a long way . Both of these issues wouldnt be a big hurdle though IMO...

red
    2005 extreme

thanks for the input pulled the v6 apart it has a blown headgasket putting it back togather to see how long it takes to really tear it up that will give me some more time to get parts togather and 123
    thanks once again
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    As far as the cowl... Alot of guys have done it. We're not talking about removing half the firewall, in fact, I dont think there's too much to it, and if you need to you could put some metal back in to strengthen it back up if needed.

K members... aftermarket units are typically 300-400$. I'm sure you could adapt a small block chevy style motor mount to the k member you have, or to a stock V8 K member (which could be bought fairly cheap). A welder and some fabrication skills go a long way . Both of these issues wouldnt be a big hurdle though IMO...

Thread Information