fuel pump install, how long for a garage?

How long an operation is it to replace the fuel pump and filter in a 96 lt1 trans am?

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

I don't know, but I know it can get involved. Unless you take the short cut and cut a hole in the trunk to get to the fuel pump, it takes some time. Without cutting anything, you have to drop the rear, then drop the tank to get to the fuel pump I think. So, how ever long that takes...

Red
    1996 Trans Am

really does not take very long if you go through the trunk, if you search you will find a write up on it.

red
    95 Z28

A shop isnt going to go through the floor. That would be an insanely huge liability for them. Not going to happen.

My guess on their billing hours... ~4-7

Yo Da Lin The Valley..... astyles's Avatar

i cut a hole and had it done in 1 hour

fuck it they can cut whatever they want if it saves 5 hours of labor... ill just list it as a weight saving mod if i ever sell ha

Do it right and drop the tank.

I've done a few,,,,it's not that bad,,,sheeeesh. Cutting holes in the floor for a fuel pump is like cutting a hole in the hood to check the oil because I was too lazy to lift the hood up.

Someone with a car lift and a tranny jack can make short work of this. I do them in a couple hours.

You don't have to drop the entire rearend out of the car,,,,,I simply remove the lower shock bolts and pan hard bar and let the rearend lower down,,,this has always given me enough room.

Some people make this out to be worse than it really is.

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Do it right and drop the tank.

I've done a few,,,,it's not that bad,,,sheeeesh. Cutting holes in the floor for a fuel pump is like cutting a hole in the hood to check the oil because I was too lazy to lift the hood up.

Someone with a car lift and a tranny jack can make short work of this. I do them in a couple hours.

You don't have to drop the entire rearend out of the car,,,,,I simply remove the lower shock bolts and pan hard bar and let the rearend lower down,,,this has always given me enough room.

Some people make this out to be worse than it really is.

+1

Red
    94 Pont. Firebird Formula

-1 lol
    i cut into mine... its in an area that is covered by a mat and then another piece of carpet... it doesnt do any major damage to the structure of the car... it can be easily and cleanly sealed up... and it saves a lot of time, and time is money... but its nowhere like cutting a hole in the hood to check the oil lol... it would be best described as not walking over to the tool chest to dig through to find the correct size wrench, and instead taking it off with a pair of channel locks that are sitting right beside you to save the hassle and time... thats my take on it anyway

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by squeals99 View Post
    -1 lol
    i cut into mine... its in an area that is covered by a mat and then another piece of carpet... it doesnt do any major damage to the structure of the car... it can be easily and cleanly sealed up... and it saves a lot of time, and time is money... but its nowhere like cutting a hole in the hood to check the oil lol... it would be best described as not walking over to the tool chest to dig through to find the correct size wrench, and instead taking it off with a pair of channel locks that are sitting right beside you to save the hassle and time... thats my take on it anyway

Wow, you must be a GM chassis engineer to know it doesnt do anything to hurt the structure of the car. In actuality... if you had a bad enough wreck, it most likely would be a weak spot, and could be a place for fuel to leak into the interior of the car. What are the odds of that happening... probably not all that great, but still.. cutting a hole is just being lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by squeals99 View Post
    -1 lol
    Eeeeew,,,,channel locks instead of the correct wrench????? Guess you are used to rounding bolts off?????

Just do it right. When I buy a 3rd or 4th gen one of the things I do is pull the carpet back to look for that dreaded hole cut into the floor. I pass on those cars. Just tells me how the owner treated the car and I start wondering what other corners he cut while performing repairs,,,,that type of mentality on repairing cars is one reason there are some scary/unsafe cars on the road today

Before you go chopping the car,,,bring it over to my shop. I generally change these for people for less than $100 and you can have your car back in a couple hours with all it's original sheet metal intact

Thread Information