Thread: Flexplate

Flexplate

Call me an idiot but can someone explain to me the exact purpose and relationship of a flexplate in the cluth/fly/tranny system? I googled it but it seems that flexplate is the name of a flywheel in an auto tranny...? confused.
    Last edited by grandkodiak; 06-13-2007 at 11:09 AM.

Silver
    1997 camaro z28

Flexplate is what connects the motor to the Torque converter. Its only featured in Automatic cars.

thats what i thought but a mechanic told me the vibration problem i was having might be comming from the flexplate... i guess it never came up in the convo that i had a stick, but it threw me off.

Silver
    1997 camaro z28

The stock automatic cars use weights on the flexplate to balance the crank. Maybe he thought you needed a new flexplate lol.

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

I kinda look at it as the auto's equilivant to a flywheel. The starter torques the flexplate to start the engine.

Talked with the guy I usually go to, he thinks its also related to the rotating mass, particularly he thinks its the clutch and flywheel. The problem started to get bad alittle after I got my last clutch installed at a mechanic i'd never been to before, and they had problems installing it. They said some piece broke when they were removing it so it took 3 days to do the clutch install, as they had to wait for the repair piece. they never told me what it was, but all was well when i got it back and i didnt miss any work so i wasnt too concerned.

but originally i chalked it up to the drivetrain recal, because it was vibration at highway speeds 65+ and got worse the faster i went, but i never notice until the other day that it goes away completly when i engage the clutch! i could be doin 80 where the vibration and noise is horrendous, clutch in, and its quite as anything... onviously if it where the tranny, driveshaft or rear it would continue no matter the status of the clutch position!

i did have the flywheel resurfaced when they did the clutch install... i'm takin it back in a few days to get the opti installed, i'm havin him look at the clutch to see whats goin on for sure.

i cant afford another fuckin clutch though, but a flywheel wont be too bad, plus its somethin i wanted to do anyway... but the opti install is going to set me back a pretty penny and i'm still payin off the big installs i just had done a few months ago!!

Thread Information