Thread: exhaust

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28

exhaust

my friend as a lt1 and he wants to know wht is the best exhaust for him. so what is the best exhaust for lt1s ? sound , and performance.

Black/Black
    96 Vert Z28-RIP/94 TT Z28

Dude that's a question with a hundred answers, everyone has their preferance. My opinion... The flowmaster sounds good but is too common and doesn't flow as well as other mufflers. I have a hooker cat-back on one of my LT1's and I love the sound of it and the low price also. I've heard a few Magnaflow's and I liked the sound and have heard good things about them performance wise and I like they way that system looks. Corsa sounds and looks good but is expensive though, not too loud at idle but sounds good at WOT. I've heard that the Spintech mufflers flow well but I have only heard them on an LS1 but it does sound good at WOT. Search the web for sound clips and have your friend make his decision of what he likes.

red
    95 Z28

Sound is all preference. Most of the 3 inch catbacks will provide almost identical gains (Borla, Corsa, Magnaflow, B&B, SLP, etc). I know I WOULD NOT buy flowdisaster..err... flowmaster.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

ls1 lt1 exhaust is pretty much all the same isnt it? i mean not the kits exactly, but the gains and sound, lt1's do sound a little different though, cant put my finger on it

Mystic Teal Pearl
    1995 Trans Am

LT1engine.com and go to sound librairy.

Thats probubly your best bet at finding the right sound your after. Im either going borla or magnaflow when i get around to switching out mine. Just click on the brand you like and you have a wide range of stock motors with exhaust to mild and extreme mods.

Enjoy!

sunset orange
    1996 formula

Don't buy flowmaster I had it on my 96 m6 formula,and hated it.When down shifting it backfires and popes alot.It sucks......

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

I had a shop do a custom catless 3" system with a Vortex Cherry Bomb and it sounded kick ass on a 95 LT1 M6 with stock manifolds and only costed about $300!

Chich
    Depends on what sound and look. Magnaflow is quieter than most, but I love the look. Dont like any of the smaller dual tips. The sound is very clear. Not loud enough to wake the neighbors on the start up. But once you get it to the street and let her rip its clean and gets louder. Easy to install too.

I just put a Magnaflow on my '95 T/A. It's not as loud as I expected, or wanted, but it sounds good and clean. I like the tips, although my driver's side doesn't center, and is a little bit off. I need to fix that. I had access to a lift and a friend, so installation only took about an hour. Wouldn't take much longer on jackstands. I don't think it can be beat for the money.

Anthony

White
    1996 Camaro Z28

Flowmaster

I've got a 96 z28, 157,000 miles on it. Right at 90,000 I had 3 inch pipes taken all the way to the engine. 3 chamber flowmaster muffler. It was an immediate change in horsepower and torque. Nothing in my midsize town sounds close to my z. I've put alot of money into my z and i'm getting ready to buy an 02 ss. First thing i'm gonna have done is the flowmasters. It cost me less than 500 bucks and nothing else i've done to it has had the kind of performance gain as that did. Go with FLOWMASTER>>>>>I smoke even the new GT's.

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by j_darrin
    I've got a 96 z28, 157,000 miles on it. Right at 90,000 I had 3 inch pipes taken all the way to the engine. 3 chamber flowmaster muffler. It was an immediate change in horsepower and torque. Nothing in my midsize town sounds close to my z. I've put alot of money into my z and i'm getting ready to buy an 02 ss. First thing i'm gonna have done is the flowmasters. It cost me less than 500 bucks and nothing else i've done to it has had the kind of performance gain as that did. Go with FLOWMASTER>>>>>I smoke even the new GT's.

Flowmaster has been proven to have some of the lowest flow numbers in the world of modern mufflers Will it make a huge difference one way or the other?... Probably not, but Flowmaster is still the trailer trash of mufflers, well, maybe just behind cherry bombs

White
    1996 Camaro Z28

Look out, 5.0 in town!!!!!!! Everybody hide your camaros.

Not sure where you live or what you've been reading but I can only speak of my own experience, I wouldn't trade mine for any other. Seems like I may have struck the nerve of a 5.0 owner.

red
    95 Z28

Seems like I may have struck the nerve of a 5.0 owner.

Wow... what can I say to that...

BLACKED OUT
    94 LT1 CAPRICE

afterburner headers from flowtech= non coated 150.00 each/ magnaflow 3'' cats both sides 120.00 for both pn# 94000 and up/ 3'' inch tubing high flow mufflers/ if you can afford and x pipe get one if not get an h-pipe or equalizer put on (35.00).... my tips end underneath the back seat...it sets off alarms and sounds hella mean... its your preference but it costs to bend the pipes and extend them over the rear axle.... i recommend gutting the entire stock exhaust and i gurantee it will be one of the most noticeable upgrades you can do to the car....

Looking for new Fbody

Color of Car
    Year & Model Car

personal preference is the name of the game, as mentioned.

MY perso-preffo is hooker longtubes (or just about any longtube), true duals with dual 21" bullets.....but due to not so stellar performance of the true duals, you might have a better shot of just running it through a single 3"

as for just a cat-back...just get rid of the cats altogether and it'll sound plenty good.

HUNTER S. THOMPSON FAN Raoul-Duke's Avatar
    Not sure where you live or what you've been reading but I can only speak of my own experience, I wouldn't trade mine for any other. Seems like I may have struck the nerve of a 5.0 owner.
    WELL DUDE I AGREE WIT THE 5.0 GUY CUZ HES RIGHT, ITS BEEN PROVEN THAT FLOWMASTER ARE ONE OF THE WORST FLOWING EXHAUSTS OUT THERE AND U PROB THINK THERE THE SH!T FROM UR EXPERIENCE BUT YOU'VE NEVER EXPERIENCED ANY OTHER EXHAUST EITHER NO OFFENSE KID JUST STATIN THE FACTS

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by MIDNITELT1Z
    WELL DUDE I AGREE WIT THE 5.0 GUY CUZ HES RIGHT, ITS BEEN PROVEN THAT FLOWMASTER ARE ONE OF THE WORST FLOWING EXHAUSTS OUT THERE AND U PROB THINK THERE THE SH!T FROM UR EXPERIENCE BUT YOU'VE NEVER EXPERIENCED ANY OTHER EXHAUST EITHER NO OFFENSE KID JUST STATIN THE FACTS

Guys... read my screenname a few times out loud. And then look an inch or two below my screenname in the left column. Do you really think a 5.0 guy would be the moderator of the LT1 section?

HUNTER S. THOMPSON FAN Raoul-Duke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS
    Guys... read my screenname a few times out loud. And then look an inch or two below my screenname in the left column. Do you really think a 5.0 guy would be the moderator of the LT1 section?
    hahahahaha oh sh!t my bad bro

Looking for new Fbody

Color of Car
    Year & Model Car

This moment brought to you by Ron Burgandy, Stay Classy LS1!

Thread Information