Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    lt4ever

Electric Water Pump???

I know this has been discussed to great lengths and I've even seen previous posts on the subject here, but can't recall them now, nor is a search fruitful when you type in "Electric Water Pump".

What are the CONS of running an electric water pump? In other words, what do you need to be mindful of? (high volume, high pressure, get better battery, better amp alternator for increased amperage load???) Also, is it really worth it? For $350, does it free up that much power?

lt4ever
    plz excuz my childish fascination w/ boobies....

red
    95 Z28

They can fail suddenly and leave you stranded. Some people dont get good life out of them. The only advantage IMO is being able to use a standard type double roller timing chain. Only frees up 5-7 hp.

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

I don't know if they are worth it. I used one because I want to cool down the engine quickly at the track without starting the engine.
    Black 1999 Blown Convertible A4
    Forged 383 | ATI D-1SC
    NX MAF Kit | 222/226 .585 115
    AS Stage II 6.0L FI Heads
    Moser 9" | 3.70 | Wavetrac | 35 Spline | Vigilante 3600
    548.0 RWHP - 563.8 RWTQ - 10# - D1

666.0 RWHP - 734.2 RWTQ - 125 Shot - P1

Black 2009 Escalade Hybrid 4WD

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Blown Vert
    I don't know if they are worth it. I used one because I want to cool down the engine quickly at the track without starting the engine.

And that would be IMO the biggest advantage of one... being able to keep coolant flowing without the engine running. A helpful feature if you have a car that sees alot of drag time.

If you do any other kind of racing with sustained high rpms such as autocross or road course, then stay away from EPs. They wont flow as much as a stocker, especially under such conditions, or so I've heard.

lt4ever
    Sounds good to me... didn't really want to drop another $350 anyway.

^^ Sick of it all

CGM/BGC
    98 Z28 / 98 Formula

I had a CSI on one of my past Z28's lasted 2 years. The car had 184,000 when i sold it. I will def. buy another Good Luck!

lt4ever
    So wait a minute.... you're telling me that you bought an electric water pump and it only lasted 2 years and you
    Quote Originally Posted by CJDZ24_Z28
    will def. buy another
    ?????

What am I missing??? That sounds horrible. I'd rather stay with the stock mechanical pump and perhaps replace an impeller seal for a few bucks along the way and have it last indefinately.

^^ Sick of it all

CGM/BGC
    98 Z28 / 98 Formula

No it lasted the 2 years after i installed it and sold the car. Its prob still running to this day

lt4ever
    Ed- what kind of roller chain are you using? Is it a double roller or something a little better than stock like the LT4 extreme duty timing chain? At what point does the power output of the engine require a better timing chain? I'm currently in the process of building a blown 383. Would hate to stretch/ break the timing chain when I could've replaced it while the engine is a part...

Black

Quote Originally Posted by lt4ever
    Ed- what kind of roller chain are you using? Is it a double roller or something a little better than stock like the LT4 extreme duty timing chain? At what point does the power output of the engine require a better timing chain? I'm currently in the process of building a blown 383. Would hate to stretch/ break the timing chain when I could've replaced it while the engine is a part...
    I run the stock LS2 chain.

lt4ever
    Oh yeah that's right, you've got an LS based engine. How much more difference in tensile strength/ stability would you think the LT4 extreme duty timing chain (my current chain) and the stock LS2 chain have? Any ideas??

teal
    95 z/28 m6

I put a meziere on my 95 and i traded out to a double roller chain cloyes clo-9-3145 i did have to clearence my timing cover nothing major works great but you have a 96 and a crank sensor you have to ditch the sensor and have a tune disabling the crank sensor to get rid of the reluctor ring

Black

Oh yeah that's right, you've got an LS based engine. How much more difference in tensile strength/ stability would you think the LT4 extreme duty timing chain (my current chain) and the stock LS2 chain have? Any ideas??
    Opps, I forgot I was in the LT1 section

lt4ever
    Quote Originally Posted by roughneck427
    you have a 96 and a crank sensor you have to ditch the sensor and have a tune disabling the crank sensor to get rid of the reluctor ring
    I thought that was an essential sensor the PCM needed for engine management.

teal
    95 z/28 m6

not if you convert your pcm to obd1 then you dont have any downstream o2's or the crank sensor the crank sensor kinda helps out when you have a missfire it will tell you what cylinder is missing when you get an ses light,thats why with a obd1 system you never get a specific cylinder misfirse because no crank sensor other than that thats all its good for IMO pcm for less can delete it thats where i got my tune

lt4ever
    Already deleted the downstream O2's.... but hmmm, food for thought.

lt4ever
    What!? Don't even care to wager a guess to an LT1 bastard step child?

red
    95 Z28

The LT4 ED chain set is good. You will be good to go with either that setup (if you want to keep a mechanical water pump) or a good standard SBC double roller (any name brand one will be a stout piece) if you will switch to an electric pump. I would definately get one or the other though as it will be a blown engine with an already increased load on the crankshaft.

red
    95 Z28

13. "Trolling"

"Trolling", or makings posts with the sole intention of creating problems on the forums is obviously against the forum guidelines. This includes registering an alternate ID for the sole purpose of creating problems on the forums. "Troll ID's" will be locked immediately and permanently, and can be locked without notification to the offender.

Thread Information