Eh, what's up DOHC?

I've always wondered why GM stopped making DOHC performance engines (LT5s and future performance engines)? I understand that 32 romping valves makes the engines prone to frequent repair and maintanence than a pushrod engine, but consider the benefits of more air flow with four valves per cylinder and an optimal location for the spark plug. Ford can attest that producing engines with more valves permits them to still rumble with the bigger bore and stroke Chevy and Dodge motors on the market today. The technology, research, and development went where? In the trash? Why haven't we heard of anything modern? Although the tried and true method of a bigger bore and stroke worked on the new ZO6, what's next? The LT5 yielded 405hp, but much more is possible with the head flow technology of today. The 16 configuration was, and still is a great idea for getting a precise a/f ratio throughout the power band amd remember, this engine revs higher than the prehistoric pushrods; 72000rpm! I hope GM tries to do something innovative for this LS series of engines that are already great power plants.

"16 injector configuration"

Whatever Ford can do, Chevy can do better. Take advantage of that 1.1 extra liters. Chevy needs to add a variable valve timing system aiming toward actually making power with titanium valves(similar to Honda's high performance VTEC engines), Dodge's Hemi head design(as it will be easier to do with four valves), direct gas injection in a real performance engine(not those crap carts Sky and Solstice), and maybe a decent ram air system to top it all off. Chevy could than have something to brag about.

Wow! They made a 7 liter! This has never been done before! Please... We all know you can build a 7 liter all motor Chevy for less than an LS7 crate engine.

Chevy... Put up or shut up!

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

I think the reason Chevy sticks with its good ol' pushrod is to be different. Pushrods accentuate torque. Overhead cam setups are more for high revvin high power output.

I can see why you would argue that slapping an overhead cam setup on a Gen III or Gen IV would increase power output, but low-end torque would diminish. But look where peak power comes in on a pushrod engine and an OHC engine. You have to rev way higher on an OHC to get that power. On a pushrod, peak power comes at a lower RPM but limits its revs. So how hard do you want your engine to work to porduce all of its power?

Quote Originally Posted by BlackLT1Z28 View Post
    I think the reason Chevy sticks with its good ol' pushrod is to be different. Pushrods accentuate torque. Overhead cam setups are more for high revvin high power output.
    That makes sense because Corvettes aren't made for high revvin or for high power output.

red
    96 ss

kind of sad the DOHC setup you like is needing boost to run with the na push rod motors. all i can say is what are the fastest cars in the world running? its not a DOHC setup is it ? troll

red
    94 z28

when it came time for the gen III the powers that be(the ones in charge) tested both not knowing which was which. kind of like the pepsi challenge and agreed torque came on too late and didnt give that sucked in the seat feeling so they said no to dohc and thank god. ive driven both and i clearly agree

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Ricer Cooker View Post
    That makes sense because Corvettes aren't made for high revvin or for high power output.
    So 500 factory horses isn't high power? I've personally seen the LS2 hit 650hp+ with bolt-on's, h/c, and no boost. That's good ol pushrod power for ya.

red
    95 Z28

What? You're dancing dangerously close to the "troll" line...

red
    96 ss

Quote Originally Posted by BlackLT1Z28 View Post
    So 500 factory horses isn't high power? I've personally seen the LS2 hit 650hp+ with bolt-on's, h/c, and no boost. That's good ol pushrod power for ya.
    that does it. i guess i gotta get a 6 liter block and start on the 79 after i finish the 96.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonisdn View Post
    kind of sad the DOHC setup you like is needing boost to run with the na push rod motors. all i can say is what are the fastest cars in the world running? its not a DOHC setup is it ? troll
    ...and theyr'e not pushrods

red
    96 ss

...and theyr'e not pushrods
    take your entire 17 years of life and all you have experienced and you might be able to fill up my jock strap. go to ricefarts.com and the wipe the asses of the people you dream to be like. maybe then you can buy that new gtr-r-type, wide body kit, unpainted, folgers can exhaust, stolen wing off a delta 747, that falls off above 70mph to cut down on drag, v-tack, hugh tack, P.O.S.( if you even own a car, you little zit popper) hey why you are at it, since you know it all, move out of your parents house now and take over the world (after they can't offically call you a virgin anymore, of course). in other words go talk to some ricers that are your age and try to sell them a flux capacitor, cause we arent buying your uncle bens rice beeotch. my wife wonders why i dont wanna have kids, if it came out like you i would shove it back in.

Thread Information