Thread: dang optispark

artic white/black stripes
    97 TA

Angry dang optispark

well today it decided to rain while i was out joy riding and of course without fail once i hit a puddle traveling down the highway my car seized up and died.

now this isnt the first time it has occured and its getting really old really fast.

i was just wondering if anyone knew of a way to protect my precious optispark or if i should just try and replace it to see if this could help amend the problem.

this is my semi-dd so i would like to at least be able to make it home once it starts raining.

as always advice and info is always appreciated.

white

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix05 View Post
    well today it decided to rain while i was out joy riding and of course without fail once i hit a puddle traveling down the highway my car seized up and died.

now this isnt the first time it has occured and its getting really old really fast.

i was just wondering if anyone knew of a way to protect my precious optispark or if i should just try and replace it to see if this could help amend the problem.

this is my semi-dd so i would like to at least be able to make it home once it starts raining.

as always advice and info is always appreciated.
    i had the same problem when i had a lt1 after i bought the msd distr. cap and rotor end of trouble when it got wet, even i hose the distributor soakin wet and the car didn't died seems like a problem with cheap caps and rotors they wont seal properly try it...2 change it when u remove the balancer pulley make sure 2 use a thin bolt in the middle of the stractor tool, since regular stractors pulleys are too thick

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Plan big if you going to do that. it's a big biotch. water pump, balancer and the opti

white

Quote Originally Posted by JaycenK View Post
    Plan big if you going to do that. it's a big biotch. water pump, balancer and the opti
    u forgot the radiator unless u are reeeeally careful not to damage it

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

lol yea that too

I'd say you have a leaky cap. Never had a problem with ours and I degreased the engine on several occasions as well as daily drove the car in all types of weather.

artic white/black stripes
    97 TA

ok then so a new distributor cap could probably solve this issue

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

If your going to take the cap off you might as well just replace the damn thing and be done. no sense in going through all that work to just replace a cap and rotor when the whole unit is likley to be bad at this point.

True, I'd never bother with a cap after all the work it takes to get to it. I'd do an entire unit.
    Chances are if the car has 70,000 miles or more that it's about time to replace the whole unit anyway. I've pulled a few of those apart and always found that little bearing support for the shaft worn,,,allowing the shaft to wobble around just a bit,,,sometimes causing a misfire. Stupid little bearing is sealed and doesn't use engine oil for lubricant

white

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    True, I'd never bother with a cap after all the work it takes to get to it. I'd do an entire unit.
    Chances are if the car has 70,000 miles or more that it's about time to replace the whole unit anyway. I've pulled a few of those apart and always found that little bearing support for the shaft worn,,,allowing the shaft to wobble around just a bit,,,sometimes causing a misfire. Stupid little bearing is sealed and doesn't use engine oil for lubricant
    i bought mine distributor when i had my lt1 at autozone i never had a problem but i got msd cap and rotor also, had the car for over 5 years till i got rid of it

Thread Information