Thread: Cat Maybe?

10's N/A

Cat Maybe?

Alright, I got a new situation going on. I was pulling my cap off my cut out tonight and smelled what seemed like raw fuel coming from the cat. Rich mixture surely, but I was wondering if that could have fried my cat and made it useless. That could explain the problems with driveability i've had from time to time. Could it be the cat? I just want some other opinions besides mine. If it is, I will surely yank that sucker right off and run a straight pipe.

red
    96 ss

if a cat is clogged it will make the engine sputter and not run hardly at all. if you have been burning leaded racing gas, you have damaged the cat and the O2's both. what issues are you having?

10's N/A

running kind of funny, performance is still there, but not 100%, and last night I smelled something funny coming from the cat as I was capping the cutout. I had a friend that's cat just wen't out with 105k -- my cars got 125k. I replaced the opti with an Accel, did a full tune up- wires, plugs, the whol e shabang. I took the car out this morning and gave it a nice romp and now it's 100%. It's just wierd. Somethings making it inconsistant and I cant find the problem.

red
    96 ss

i haven't heard 1 good word about an accel optispark. i hate to say that since you just put it on. hopefully it will last ya. if it starts showing its ass again open the cut out. it it clears up right away, you know the issue is the cat. if not, well you can guess where i would go first.

10's N/A

Can you please elaborate just a little on "if it clears up right away"?

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

He means that if you think its the cat and you start having problems again, open the cutout so the exhaust isn't flowing through the cat. If the problem disappears, then its most likely the cat.

10's N/A

See that's why I was confused. I run a single cutout AFTER the cat

red
    96 ss

Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    See that's why I was confused. I run a single cutout AFTER the cat
    lol oh well there goes that way to check it then. 1 question. why would you put a cut out after the cat? unless you are running the stock y pipe, then i can see why. if you can get by with a piece of staight pipe, thats the route i would go.

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by jasonisdn View Post
    lol oh well there goes that way to check it then. 1 question. why would you put a cut out after the cat? unless you are running the stock y pipe, then i can see why. if you can get by with a piece of staight pipe, thats the route i would go.
    Simple. To bypass the muffler. You'll still pick up some power at the expense of a little low end, but not enough to cry about, and nowhere near as much as if I had cutouts right off the headers. As far as straight pipe i'm guessing you mean in place of the catalytic converter?

red
    96 ss

yes. have you got anyhting where you can long a wot pass? to look at your 02 readings. could save a ton of guess work

10's N/A

I don't but I wish I did. Since it's so cheap and easy to do, i'm just going to yank the cat and weld the straight pipe and go from there.

10's N/A

Thanks for all the input "Jason". It was very appreciated.

red
    96 ss

no problem. i delt with a clogged converter years ago. by the way , yes my name is jason lol
    good luck man

Thread Information