Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    2000 ss/1994 z28/1979 z28

Carb. sbc in a 94 camaro????

Hi everyone! I've been thinking about putting a carb. sbc in my 94 camaro z28
    Does anybody know what kind of mods i have to due to get that engine in?

Pewter
    2001 Z28

I think you can just get a carb intake manifold for the lt1 and use that. Do you have a lt1, or is it a V6? Anyways just drop a LS1 in it!

Pewter
    2001 Z28

Sorry didnt see the Z28 part, guess I should read the whole thing.

The reason im asking that is because i just finished building a carb. sbc 383 and would like to put this engine in there. Has anyone have any pics of what this might look like? or If i have to do any moding to get the engine to fit?

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

You can do it but you have to check your intake and breather hight. Might need to do some creative stuf for that but other than that you have to do something with the trans!!! In 94 they went to the 4l60E which is an electronicly shifted trans. It uses engine system sensors to shift correctly. One option is to just use an after market controller for the 4l60E, another is to go get a 700r4, a th350 or 400 or a 93 4l60 ( NO E). If there are other ways to make a 4l60-E work I don't know them so if anyone has some intel please help out here cuz I would like to know as well.

So your saying i can go with like a 5 speed from a 91 camaro? and if so would it bolt right on to my engine? what about the engine mounts?

Thanks for the input!

I've seen it done before and the standard carburetor mounting position will not allow you to run an air cleaner. You will have to cut the cowl and get an offset stud to fit an air cleaner. You might also need a taller hood.
    Last edited by blkSS98; 01-24-2010 at 11:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by blkSS98 View Post
    I've seen it done before and the standard carburetor mounting position will not allow you to run an air cleaner. You will have to cut the cowl and get an offset stud to fit an air cleaner. You might also need a taller hood.
    Thanks for your input!

Does anybody have any pics of what it might look like installed in a lt1 body? Just to give me some idea of what it looks like in there.

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by camaro2000ss View Post
    So your saying i can go with like a 5 speed from a 91 camaro? and if so would it bolt right on to my engine? what about the engine mounts?

Thanks for the input!

A T-5 tranny? I'm sure you can get one to bolt up fairly easily with the right bell housing, etc, but they're not very tough at all, and if your 383 is stout at all, you stand a good chance of breaking a T-5

Otherwise, you'll need to clearance the firewall for the distributor. You will need different motor mounts, as a standard sbc doesnt use the same style as an LT1. There is other small stuff as well.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

+1 yup
    The best bet would be to use a TH400 but if you need over drive you need to have a 700r4 built to hold the power. You also have to interface with all of the gages in the cluster as they are all electrical and routed through the PCM unless you ditch it and do something custom. Another is you will have to modify the fuel system. right now the fuel pump is in the tank and you could remove it from the pump assembly and cap the return line and do a classic mechanical or get a realy good fuel pressure regulator and feed everything through the stock lines. Another problem is the acessories are going to have to be a custom short system as the water pump on LT's are cam driven so unless you go with an electric you wont be able to use it.
    BMR makes a K member with gen motor mount locations for 4th gen f-bodies. You will need this or to spend some time relocating the mounts on the stock K member. Here this guy did some what the same thing but used a tunnle ram EFI. http://thecrumz.com/?q=node/2 As you can see he used the LT1 accessory braket with electric water pump. http://thecrumz.com/gallery/vroom/DSC01492
    It is a lot more work than just building an LT1 to do the same thing. These cars are not as easy to do or as cheap to do as older cars were but doing and lt1 in a 383 or just built 350 or 355 makes a lot of carb guys think twice because there is not as much that gives it away by looking at it unless they hear it and see it run.
    Last edited by JaycenK; 01-25-2010 at 11:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JaycenK View Post
    +1 yup
    The best bet would be to use a TH400 but if you need over drive you need to have a 700r4 built to hold the power. You also have to interface with all of the gages in the cluster as they are all electrical and routed through the PCM unless you ditch it and do something custom. Another is you will have to modify the fuel system. right now the fuel pump is in the tank and you could remove it from the pump assembly and cap the return line and do a classic mechanical or get a realy good fuel pressure regulator and feed everything through the stock lines. Another problem is the acessories are going to have to be a custom short system as the water pump on LT's are cam driven so unless you go with an electric you wont be able to use it.
    BMR makes a K member with gen motor mount locations for 4th gen f-bodies. You will need this or to spend some time relocating the mounts on the stock K member. Here this guy did some what the same thing but used a tunnle ram EFI. http://thecrumz.com/?q=node/2 As you can see he used the LT1 accessory braket with electric water pump. http://thecrumz.com/gallery/vroom/DSC01492
    It is a lot more work than just building an LT1 to do the same thing. These cars are not as easy to do or as cheap to do as older cars were but doing and lt1 in a 383 or just built 350 or 355 makes a lot of carb guys think twice because there is not as much that gives it away by looking at it unless they hear it and see it run.
    WOW! I never thought it was going to be that much work. Maybe its alot better to just build a lt1, that sucks for me because i already have the 383 setting on a stand. Thanks for the input and pics!

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

WOW! I never thought it was going to be that much work. Maybe its alot better to just build a lt1, that sucks for me because i already have the 383 setting on a stand. Thanks for the input and pics!
    Would be fairly easy to do. The 383 will bolt up to the stock motor mounts and tranny. Scrap the t-5 idea unless you get a built up one. Stock they are only rated to 250 lb/ft of torque which is why they were never offered with a 350 in the camaro. The fuel system will have to be modified. Might be able to swap a sender and pickup from an early 3rd gen that was carbed. The air cleaner will be high and you might have to trim the cowl. They do make offset but depending on the filter you might have some hood clearance issues still. you might also need a low profile distributer to clear. Do you have to worry about emissions where you live? If so it won't pass inspection.

Quote Originally Posted by bigrondownhiller View Post
    Would be fairly easy to do. The 383 will bolt up to the stock motor mounts and tranny. Scrap the t-5 idea unless you get a built up one. Stock they are only rated to 250 lb/ft of torque which is why they were never offered with a 350 in the camaro. The fuel system will have to be modified. Might be able to swap a sender and pickup from an early 3rd gen that was carbed. The air cleaner will be high and you might have to trim the cowl. They do make offset but depending on the filter you might have some hood clearance issues still. you might also need a low profile distributer to clear. Do you have to worry about emissions where you live? If so it won't pass inspection.
    What might be the best trans to go with? will it bolt on?
    No i don't have to worry about smog/emissions inspection.

Thanks for your input!

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

The stock trans will work if you want. You will want to have it built up though and have to get an aftermarket controller to work it. Otherwise you have your pick of trannys. From th350, th400, 700r4, or 200r4. You could swap in a 6 speed also.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Would be fairly easy to do. The 383 will bolt up to the stock motor mounts and tranny.
    I don't think it will bolt up. The LT1 uses an odd motor mount. the mount bolts up on different holes. LT1 blocks have the 3 conventional 350 holes but there is a 4th that the lt1 mount uses that gen1 blocks don't have to my know how. The lt1 mount uses 2 of the coventional mounts but not the 3rd. As far as wear the physical mount comes to meat the K member I have no idea if a 350 mount will meat the lt1 K member mount. In the article I posted this guy said they don't and he was going to try add use an LT1 mount using just 2 bolts on the gen 1 motor side but opted to use a K member that had a conventional 350 mounting point to use a gen 1 mount.
    Last edited by JaycenK; 01-25-2010 at 04:01 PM.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Quote Originally Posted by JaycenK View Post
    I don't think it will bolt up. The LT1 uses an odd motor mount. the mount bolts up on different holes. LT1 blocks have the 3 conventional 350 holes but there is a 4th that the lt1 mount uses that gen1 blocks don't have to my know how. The lt1 mount uses 2 of the coventional mounts but not the 3rd. As far as wear the physical mount comes to meat the K member I have no idea if a 350 mount will meat the lt1 K member mount. In the article I posted this guy said they don't and he was going to try add use an LT1 mount using just 2 bolts on the gen 1 motor side but opted to use a K member that had a conventional 350 mounting point to use a gen 1 mount.
    Probably just need to use engine brackets from the gen 1 engine then. Physically the two engines have the same dimensions. When people swap an lt1 into a car that had a gen 1 small block it just drops in and bolts to the stock frame mounts.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Probably just need to use engine brackets from the gen 1 engine then. Physically the two engines have the same dimensions. When people swap an lt1 into a car that had a gen 1 small block it just drops in and bolts to the stock frame mounts.
    yea thats because it has the 3 gen 1 mounting holes on the block so you can put it in gen 1 sbc cars no problem just change to a gen 1 mount. If you use a gen 1 mount on the lt1 crossmember with the stock lt1 K member mount the engine will sit to far back it would be in the fire wall. Only reason I can say this is because I actually have a gen 1 and a gen 2 side by side right now out in my garage and I pulled the mounts out bolted them upand took a look. It is about a 2 to 3 inch differance and the K member mount needs to be gen 1 and moved forward of the gen 2 mount location. Not hard to do because the 4th gens Kmember is so big there so there should be room but I'm not sure because I don't have the other lt1 out of the car yet other wise I would pick the gen 1 and see exactly where it all should be. Or buy a K member for the 4th gen F-body that is made to fit a gen1 sbc i there. moving the mount would be easier.

[QUOTE=JaycenK;2216769]yea thats because it has the 3 gen 1 mounting holes on the block so you can put it in gen 1 sbc cars no problem just change to a gen 1 mount. If you use a gen 1 mount on the lt1 crossmember with the stock lt1 K member mount the engine will sit to far back it would be in the fire wall. Only reason I can say this is because I actually have a gen 1 and a gen 2 side by side right now out in my garage and I pulled the mounts out bolted them upand took a look. It is about a 2 to 3 inch differance and the K member mount needs to be gen 1 and moved forward of the gen 2 mount location. Not hard to do because the 4th gens Kmember is so big there so there should be room but I'm not sure because I don't have the other lt1 out of the car yet other wise I would pick the gen 1 and see exactly where it all should be. Or buy a K member for the 4th gen F-body that is made to fit a gen1 sbc i there. moving the mount would be easier.

I AGREE. Because i have a 79 z28 also, and i know what your talking about. I have some calling around to do tomorrow, to see where i can get a k member canv. kit or something like that.

Thanks for the input guys!

Here are some pics of the other project!
    http://s871.photobucket.com/home/2009mypics

I called a few places today, and I cannot find a kit.

do you guys have any other ideas? or have even seen this done?

Thanks Again!

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

I called a few places today, and I cannot find a kit.

do you guys have any other ideas? or have even seen this done?

Thanks Again!
    Could you just move the frame mount to where you need it?

Thread Information