Thread: Car won't start

white
    96 TransAM/ 05 Expedition

Car won't start

I have a 96 T/A with a LT4 in it and it won't start. When i am cranking it over sometimes it will bog down like if the timing is off. So i unpluged the connector for the opti and it don't bog down when trying to crank it over. So is the problem my opti or what i just replaced about 3-4 months ago. This happened the other day on my way to work when it was raining really hard and it started cutting out then died and now it won't start. Also when cranking it over it will backfire or pop through my intake. Any help would really be appreciated.
    Last edited by firebirdlt4; 04-25-2008 at 10:46 PM.

Dark Purple Metallic

Sounds like the timing is going crazy which means the opti is probably shot. 1996 you have a vented opti. Check the fresh air feed that draws from the intake elblow for cracks or holes. It sounds like you are drawing water or moisture into the opti and it is arcing. I had this same problem when my fresh air feed came off. Sucked water into the opti and ultimately trashed it. Bought an ebay replacement for $105 shipped and it still works, but .... we'll see.

EDIT: It's possible it could dry out and start working again if the damage is not too severe.

Quote Originally Posted by firebirdlt4 View Post
    I have a 96 T/A with a LT4 in it and it won't start. When i am cranking it over sometimes it will bog down like if the timing is off. So i unpluged the connector for the opti and it don't bog down when trying to crank it over. So is the problem my opti or what i just replaced about 3-4 months ago. This happened the other day on my way to work when it was raining really hard and it started cutting out then died and now it won't start. Also when cranking it over it will backfire or pop through my intake. Any help would really be appreciated.

white
    96 TransAM/ 05 Expedition

Quote Originally Posted by ryanmh1 View Post
    Sounds like the timing is going crazy which means the opti is probably shot. 1996 you have a vented opti. Check the fresh air feed that draws from the intake elblow for cracks or holes. It sounds like you are drawing water or moisture into the opti and it is arcing. I had this same problem when my fresh air feed came off. Sucked water into the opti and ultimately trashed it. Bought an ebay replacement for $105 shipped and it still works, but .... we'll see.

EDIT: It's possible it could dry out and start working again if the damage is not too severe.
    I appreciate the help, my fresh air hose was hanging off and i think it did suck up water. I'll have to check out the replacenment on ebay cause those opti are way over priced.

Thread Information