Green
    1997 ws-6

Cant fix my Bird, Opinion??

97 TA WS6 M6.. LT headers ORY Borla.. Bought the car 2 1/2 yrs ago.. ran good maybe 4months of the time off and on. replaced opti 2 times. pluggs 3 times wires 3 times. got msd wires on right now. cant figure this thing out and have lots of F body friends that know allot about them. car runs bad under a load at random RPMs... today i replaced 1 O2 sensor in front and a cranks sensor. seems the O2 helped a little cause now at lower RPMS the car doesnt miss. but at high RPMS it runs like trash..tommorow morning i will replace the other one on passenger side. throws codes for EGR cause its eliminated O2 sensor cause i eliminated rear one?? Tested my injectors manually today and seemed to not be a factor. new fuel filter recently also. we have been all over this car and cant seem to fix it. my friend went threw the same BS and then ended up carburating it. I dont want to do that. i want to fix the car and sell it its really nice and has been well kept with only 83,xxx on it. if anyone can tell me anything i may be overlooking i would like that allot. thanks

1994 25th Anniversary T/A

Have you tried the throttle position sensor?

Green
    1997 ws-6

no i have not. that is a good idea.. though thanks, if the O2 tommorow doesnt fix it i will try that.

black
    2002 firehawk 94 Z28

what about fuel pressure?

Green
    1997 ws-6

i kinda looked passed that after i checked the injectors but i will check that too.

Green
    1997 ws-6

well i put the other O2 sensor in and now it runs as bad as it did before i started. it feels like its choked out. at idle the exhaust will pop like its puddling gas or something??anyone tell me the symptoms of fuel pump going out. the reason i dont get it all done at once is cause my woman works doubles all weekend so i have like 2hrs a day to work on it before she goes to work. my daughter isnt old enough to be out there with me.. tommorow i will check the fuel pressure.

black
    2002 firehawk 94 Z28

givin the short amount of time you have to work on your car you might try spaying some carb cleaner around the intake while its running to see if your intake is leaking. if it changes your idle you may have a leak. if you do get a chance to check your fuel pressure you might tape the gauge to the wind shield to see if your fuel pressure varies under a load hope this helps.

Sebring Silver
    97 Camaro Z28

Do you have any way to data log the car? Like a tech 2, something soo you can see what the computer is seeing from all the sensors and what not. This is what you need to find out what exactly is going on..
    Brad
    97 Silver Z28
    T-56 Conversion, OBDII to OBDI Conversion, Stock bottom end 11.0:1, CC306, Stock ported heads by me, Hooker LT's, Borla Cat-back, MSD DIS 4 w/Delteq, 4:10's, and much more.
    Best E.T.: 12.78 @ 111 w/2.03 60"

Green
    1997 ws-6

yah i have a friend who owns a shop and it shows random multiple misfires, EGR, and O2..
    im gonna try MAF sensor and fuel pressure tonight if my friend is home i can try the one off his car to see if thats the problem and he has a FP gauge too. im really sick of this.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Sounds ignition related. There is a control module near the coil. Some places used to be able to test them, not sure if they still do.

black
    2002 firehawk 94 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by bigrondownhiller View Post
    Sounds ignition related. There is a control module near the coil. Some places used to be able to test them, not sure if they still do.
    that sounds like a good idea.

Green
    1997 ws-6

fixed the problem. went to my buddy's house and we tried allot of sensor swaps from his car to mine. turns out i had 3 burnt plug wires, they were wrapped in heat sleaves and i paid a shop to put them on. 1 boot was completely melted and the other 2 wires were near burned in half. rediculous thats what it was. i overlooked it due to the fact they were wrapped and i paid to have them put on. NO BODY will work on my car anymore unlesss its my friend to fixed it or me. thanks for all the help guys

black
    2002 firehawk 94 Z28

never would have thuoght it would have been wiers since you said they had been replaced recently.

Green
    1997 ws-6

thats what im sayin man. they looked good to me and i thought those sleeves were the ticket. guess not. god im glad to have this taken care of. next weekend im might go get a T type in OH. then i will have 2 Problems.LOL

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

I had the same problem on a '04 Sierra 6.0L high output after I installed headers. I knew the wires would be close so I put those sleeves one em, but they still burned. Part of the reason it ran so terrible though was cause it only burned one wire, but it was arcing and such on the header. It would actually cut off the throttle (throttle by wire) sometimes and give random codes. That stuff can cause some serious headaches sometimes.

Black
    Camaro A4

I'm going to try all that. only bad part is i don't have a buddy with an LT1 car to swap sensors etc.

Green
    1997 ws-6

whats wrong> whats it doing?

Thread Information