candy red
    95 chevy camaro z28

Borla with hooker headers no cat

just purchased a z28 already modded

okay Im not really feelin the idol noise and rev of the borla, its a little too loud, and to add to that I have no cat, and also have hooker headers...and when im idoling i hear weird noises and my mechanic told me its probably the headers tapping under the hood or whatever......whats another route i could go as far as exhaust to just have a smooth agressive note, instead of a rough agressive exhaust note.....should i just put a high flow catylic converter on of some sort? remove the headers? or remove the borla and go with something else? let me know fellas...

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

You could replace the borla with magnaflow. Its generally more mellow than the others. Removing the headers would be a BAD idea. Adding cats wouldn't make that big of a difference. But replacing the catback seems like a reasonable and logical choice. Check out www.ls1sounds.com for sound clips of different setups.

candy red
    95 chevy camaro z28

okay I figured that i would stay with the Borla, and probably put a cat on their...you sure a magnaflow cat wont make a difference in exhaust note and clarity? if not i think i might have to go with magnaflow, from what i hear magnaflow exhaust gives a clean exhaust note...not to rumbly...

candy red
    95 chevy camaro z28

finally got a pic of my car up

red
    95 Z28

If it's the Borla with the pre-muffler y-pipe, then you can get plates that bolt in there, that duct varying amounts of exhaust through the muffler, and make it quieter or louder. You should put a cat in the car anyway, as there is almost nothing to be gained over having no cat (as opposed to a high flow cat). And then there's no obnoxious smell.

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

Quote Originally Posted by 94redmaro View Post
    just purchased a z28 already modded

okay Im not really feelin the idol noise and rev of the borla, its a little too loud, and to add to that I have no cat, and also have hooker headers...and when im idoling i hear weird noises and my mechanic told me its probably the headers tapping under the hood or whatever......whats another route i could go as far as exhaust to just have a smooth agressive note, instead of a rough agressive exhaust note.....should i just put a high flow catylic converter on of some sort? remove the headers? or remove the borla and go with something else? let me know fellas...
    I think you probably have a leak somewhere, most likely at the heads.
    So, I think the set up you have is fine. I have had Hooker LT's, and a Borla cat-back with the smaller holed plate, and sounded great.
    I now have Hooker LT's and on a true-dual chambered exhaust system. The Chambered mufflers are 18" long

You can hear it HERE

(It takes a bit to load)

candy red
    95 chevy camaro z28

Thanks, my problem was a bad wire sitting to close to the headers, which was causing hesitation on take off, and in between 1000 ,and 2000 rpms....I had a whole MSD set-up in my car, but opted to go with Taylor wires this time instead, installed them and my car is runnin like a beast...so much fun to drive

Thread Information