green
    94 z28

Better gas mileage mods?

Well, I have came to the point of quitting my full time job to go to college and haven't been able to find a part time job yet so the 17 MPG and going to school and back using about 2.5 gallons a day just for school and my girlfriend living about 20 miles away from me is killing me without a job. So I'm looking for a few mods that will increase gas mileage so I don't have to drive a damn 4 banger until I find the job.

I've heard that a cold air intake and exhaust can add 1 MPG each, and that 100 pounds equals 2% so 300 pounds would equal 1 MPG.

So anyone got any tips/help?

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

IDK about exhaust, Cold air intake will defferently help, but I think the best thing you can do is keep off the gas, it will still get you from point A and point B. You be surprised to see how much gas you save by keeping off the gas a little bit.

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

Sell it is the best gas mileage mod. Mine got around 20 or better between highway and city with cam, headers, gears, and tons of other stuff. But never just hit the highway to see what it would get.

I got a 93 Z that is stock that gets ~19-20mpg city and gets 30-32 mpg city stock. Car is bone stock, run synthetic oil, and those numbers are not gettin on it.....oh yeah it is the 6speed also which helps

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

If you use a taller tire that might help some, will mess up your speedo though. I have also heard an underdrive pulley can help as well.

red
    95 Z28

Honestly, those mods might indeed net you 1-2mpg, but it would probably take you well over one year before the increased fuel mileage paid for the parts that you put on to get the additional mpg.

green
    94 z28

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    Honestly, those mods might indeed net you 1-2mpg, but it would probably take you well over one year before the increased fuel mileage paid for the parts that you put on to get the additional mpg.
    Yes, I considered that, which is why it will be a little while before I actually get the exhaust. The CAI will be on my first check.

The beauty of it is, I can gain better performance AND MPG while I'm saving up for other mods. *borat voice* Very nice.

Arctic White
    1999 Trans Am

Its a V8, what did you expect? Id be happy if I could get 18mpg city. But I just cant keep my foot out of it.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

You can do a motor swap with a civic. You can buy one for a few hundred bucks with the motor in it.
    You know what on 2nd thought stick with GM and get a geo metro motor.

Trans Am for life baby SexyTransAm's Avatar

95-black & 80-blue
    95 Trans Am and 80 TA

get some 2.73 gears

95 TA A4, Black on Black C5 Z06 wheels, CAI, 160 powerstat, TB coolent bypass, TB foil, LT4 Knock Sensor, STB, SFC, Poly trans and torque arm mounts, flowmaster muffler, gutted cat, and hypertech tuned.
    http://www.fquick.com/SexyTransAm

I think headers would be the best gas mileage improvement.. But not with a cam. Just headers alone should produce more power as well as fuel economy.. But you have to keep your foot out of it. different ratio differential gears would help, but it would also effect your performance. And at a low take off speeds, I wouldnt think the new gears would help much, but on the highway it would for sure.

10's N/A

The point of this discussion gets me. How are you going to afford to mod with no job! You say it will be a while before you get your parts - well that's long enough for you to find a job.

Seriously i'd say your best bet is to find a gig. Your never going to get any "real" mileage out of a V8, no matter what mods you do. You need a 4-cylinder for that.

if you really want to increase gas mileage and reduce the cost of transportation you can also employ other tactics such as, 91 octange or 93 if your car pings, do light accelerations, inflate tires to 35# or more, take the junk out of your car, fix any engine problems, make fewer trips by making routes out of your errands and doing things all at once, and Dont cruise the streets with no where to go..

Arctic White
    1999 Trans Am

I saw the title and thought it was a very redundant post. By another car is your best bet.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Get A Job...

lololol looking for excuses to do mods... even if you gained 1-2mpg how does that outweight the cost of the parts and labor to install compared to what you would spend on the amount of gas? i.e. how many years until your exhuast pays for itself in gas savings? better tuning, exhuast, heads, econocam, gear swap, ignition... everythigns expensive and isnt nearly worth its weight in gas if you follow.

best thing you can do is check your tires daily for proper inflation, coast down hills, shift smart and dont speed. if you want to get crazy and have some time to burn, strip your car out, weight is wasted energy... get rid of the insulation, carpetting, panels, seats, etc. save you a few hundred pounds....evern after all the above you will still only see a slight improvement.

Consider a bike...

thats a definate too... i get near 40mpg on my BMW R850R

good point.....motorcycle would be your best bet for mileage....but then again you need a job to buy one, unless you get the kawasaki 250...decent communter bike that gets decent mileage.....don't try to ride with a passenger though. I got a 1000rr and I get ~36 in traffic and ~45 or so highway

All in all though, a lighter foot will be your best "mod" if you consider the cost to benefit ratio. All the other mods mentioned here, ie headers, exhaust, etc/ won't pay for themselves in the relative fuel savings in the long haul. Instead of saving money to install a mod, use it to pay for gas.

Thread Information