Thread: 97 z28

Green
    97 z28 Camaro

97 z28

I was trying to see what would b a few things I could do to get my Lt1 to out run Ls1 motors..No offense Any1

red
    95 Z28

Bolt ons and cam (and supporting valvetrain) will have you at about 320-340rwhp and outrunning stock ls1 cars and a good race for a lid/exhaust LS1.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Port the heads

Black
    1993 Trans Am

Well, depends on the amount of money willing to spend and how far you want to out run them. Mileage is also a key factor here if you want us to make an educated response.

Green
    97 z28 Camaro

Really don't matter about the money bt nothing crazy..bt I'm trying to beat them by a loong shot..bout a few cars like 4..

Black
    1993 Trans Am

If you want an easy 383HP 377tq do the edelbrock intake manifold the dual 52mm throttle body (required by edelbrock for that hp spec) and the mild porting involved (also required by edlebrock for proper fitment). and yes thats the actual ratings by edelbrock. If you want to know how i know I'm the former owner of SpeedAutoEverything.com and I have the manufacturer dealer catalog which gives me specs on everything. also the painless wiring high rpm cam (cam is comp cams) is rated at 386hp at 6500rpm. You would think think they would advertise these things. That and some rear gears will have you sailing far far ahead of a stock ls1.

Black
    1993 Trans Am

oh yea and i hate to do this to edelbrock (hopefully i don't get in trouble lol) but their cam only gives you 15hp tuned. kind of sad in comparison to comp cams extreme energy cam by painless at the 386. lol I'm also not saying that the extreme energy cam doesn't beat up your valvetrain a little more because it certainly does.

Green
    97 z28 Camaro

That was a lot of help but do you know around Hw much would the parts be n were could I go to order them

Black
    1993 Trans Am

yes, I would go to summit racing and order the edelbrock manifold and summits 52mm throttle body-(actually on sale right now) and the gears there too(if you're adding those) and see what type of bulk discount or christmas discount you can get. if you can afford it all at once. Oh yea and run some stp fuel system cleaner through before doing these upgrades and even some seafoam to clean the runners/intake and what not to make reasembly and porting easier and cleaner.

Black
    1993 Trans Am

Not to change the subject but since its' in the open now who I am, would any of you (like 5.0) be able to maybe assist me in restarting my company? By way of connections sponsorship or otherwise? I was trying to create the ultimate site for LT and LS people but was sadly shut down due to the fact that Mobil 1 fired me for starting my own company while being employed by them. and so being jobless could not afford to continue my company without funding. Thanks Guys

silver
    1996 Trans AM WS6

um, do NOT change your intake manifold or throttlebody!!!!!!!! that is VERY poor advice especially from somebody that wants to start their own shop/store. the stock TB and intake will be just fine till you go over the 400hp mark. headers, catback, cc503, ported stock heads(or aftermarket heads if you want to get real serious), rockers, springs and gears will get you where you want to be.. it is a proven fact that the stock TB and intake on an LT1 are a great design (for the LT1) and don't really need to be messed with.

check out LTxtech.com lots of great LT1 info there! good luck to you.

Black
    1993 Trans Am

whats me wanting/trying to make life easier on guys like us have to do with it. just figured since it was already told i ask u guys for help...since thats what we are here for, for the most part, anyway. But regardless hp is what talks for most guys so those are the facts i gave him. back to the original guys question here, i apologize for the lack of full response on my part. the price of the manifold is roughly 450, the throttle body is 220 the gears vary by what u select and manufacturer. oh and the cfm of the 52mm is 720 the 58mm is 800cfm. if those numbers mean anything to you at this point.

silver
    1996 Trans AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 93TransAm View Post
    whats me wanting/trying to make life easier on guys like us have to do with it. just figured since it was already told i ask u guys for help...since thats what we are here for, for the most part, anyway. But regardless hp is what talks for most guys so those are the facts i gave him.
    what's wrong is the facts are 100% false. that is what is wrong...... please mryoyo, before you waste $600 go to the webpage i listed and do a search for lt1 intakes and you will see that a HUGE number of people are saying EXACTLY what i'm saying.. i am not here to bash anybody, i'm just here to help keep somebody from wasting money if possible!

also check this out:

even Edelbrock's second attempt at making a LT1 manifold (air gap) STILL couldn't make a worthwhile improvement in HP over stock.
    Ported stockers are really as good as it's gonna get, except if the new design re-designs the ports taller and longer....can't see spending 300-400 hundred for an intake to make an extra 2-3 horsepower.
    I think its more of a testament to how will the stock intakes work.
    Sounds like pretty optimistic marketing hype....even the $900 FAST LS intake manifold does not add that much HP to "god's motor". It may add 25 HP on a 550HP stroked LT1, but not stock.
    all quotes from this thread:
    Who made the LT1 intake manifold with the long runners back in the late 90's? - Page 2 - LS1TECH

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by krese View Post
    um, do NOT change your intake manifold or throttlebody!!!!!!!! that is VERY poor advice especially from somebody that wants to start their own shop/store. the stock TB and intake will be just fine till you go over the 400hp mark. headers, catback, cc503, ported stock heads(or aftermarket heads if you want to get real serious), rockers, springs and gears will get you where you want to be.. it is a proven fact that the stock TB and intake on an LT1 are a great design (for the LT1) and don't really need to be messed with.

check out LTxtech.com lots of great LT1 info there! good luck to you.
    Agree 100%. The factory intake and throttle body are just fine for even a 383 fully built. All that is needed is to port match the intake if you port the heads.

whats me wanting/trying to make life easier on guys like us have to do with it. just figured since it was already told i ask u guys for help...since thats what we are here for, for the most part, anyway. But regardless hp is what talks for most guys so those are the facts i gave him. back to the original guys question here, i apologize for the lack of full response on my part. the price of the manifold is roughly 450, the throttle body is 220 the gears vary by what u select and manufacturer. oh and the cfm of the 52mm is 720 the 58mm is 800cfm. if those numbers mean anything to you at this point.
    Those numbers are BS from edelbrock. They're trying to sell a product. No way is just an intake manifold and throttle body going to get those numbers. In fact, I bet if you put those parts on an otherwise stock LT1, you might only see 10rwhp. Even on a full bolt on LT1 those parts wouldnt be worth too much.

Black
    1993 Trans Am

well, if what you guys say is true than my sincerest apologies for steering anyone wrong. but what do you guys think of their top-end kit that produces 430hp? my book says the cam produces 15 the heads produce in the 30 range and the manifold with throttle body does the rest. a buddy of mine bought the combo and he had 442hp tuned by a shop outa new haven. I just don't get why they would flat out promote false advertisement in their dealer catalogs. I mean one its ethically wrong and two its just bad business and illegal

silver
    1996 Trans AM WS6

a buddy of mine bought the combo and he had 442hp tuned by a shop outa new haven.
    i would just about stake my LIFE on the fact that your buddy had other work done besides the edelbrock combo. again, the "combo" is only going to be good for maybe 20-25hp on a bolt on LT1 and that is being kind.

edelbrock isn't really fudging the numbers, i would wager that they get the numbers from LT1s that have internal work done (more than just boltons) to them but they just don't say that. most every claim i've seen from any company that sells cold air intakes or silly fans that go in the air intake system pull the same type of shit. advertising has been ethically wrong since it's beginning if you think about it. that is why it is important to educate yourself before you buy anything.

Green
    97 z28 Camaro

Woooow...Since I've been on this site I have learned a lot..Thanks to All Truly...That'd why I'm trying to get educated b4 I start spending cash..bt I have to be able to run circles around a Ls1 b4 I pull my car bck out

Red
    99 Z28

Call bret bauer. Alot of people dont like him cause of his customer service, but he knows what he is talking about and can design an awesome cam(even people who dont like him run his products), along with all bolt-ons and supporting mods you will be good to go. Also in the newest gm high tech, they threw a set of heads on project dirty bird which netted some great results. Im sure with those heads and a BRE cam you will definetly out run SOME of us haha..

Black
    1993 Trans Am

Well, I did the tear down and rebuild myself. We did have to go .10 over the bore. It was also tuned moderately so that we could get longevity from the build. The machine shop work, including the internal intake polishing was done by my wifes grandfather, who ownes a machine shop in East Hampton. He does custom motor work and custom race car applications uncluding a 9.5 sec. 383 lt1 on a powerglide in a 76 vega pushing close to 650RWhp driven by rick anderson. Races just about every weekend in the bracket division on the NY strip. I doubt the .10 over really made a terribly large difference. Hell my Lt ,granted its a 4 bolt main with 1.46OD valve springs and ported/polished stock intake, is pushing 360hp tuned. Custom forced ram air intake(no chamber to decrease intake velocity) and exhaust, other than that stock. Hell if you have the money for a conversion I would obviously go ls1 all day. But the Lt is a very capable motor when in the right hands. I mean who here can actually justify having more than 500hp for a street car anyway, any more than that unless your doing drag at the strip is really unneeded. If you really want to blow some ls1 doors in(mryoyo) go see a shop that specializes in lt1s like scott said.

Mid Night Blue
    1999 Firebird 3.8 series

3.73 gear rear end OR a big 4.10 gear rear end! Cold air intake, Performance Module/chip. Exhaust.. Headers.. Maybe some flames on the side(adds 15 hp) haha jk. But the rear end upgrade will play a big factor in acceleration!

Ima bit late on this post but hope you find what your looking for.

Thread Information