Green
    1996 Z28 Camaro

96 LT1 Bogs under light load??!?

I just got this car a few days ago, wasn't able to drive it personally but trusted my uncle enough to check everything out. He missed this one thing, isn't too serious but just a nuissance that I would like to fix. The car will bog slightly if I put a small load with the car in gear around the 1000rpm range. I've had it hooked on our scanner checking for miss and the tp sensor, and other various things. Everything seems fine, I just can't figure it out. The car had plugs and wires on it at some point in time (not sure, but they aren't factory, car has 65k miles) and it doesn't seem like an ignition problem. So far I have replaced the fuel filter, and checked to make sure there wasn't an erratic spot in the TP sensor. The only time I notice it is under a light load, or while i'm just trying to maintain a steady cruise speed. It feels like a slight surging. If I give it a little more gas, it does just fine, or if I accelerate a little more aggresivly, it doesnt do anything wrong at all. The car is perfect mechanically, and that is the only defect.

It's driving me nuts, and maybe you guys can help out. Thanks in advance for the time.

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

Is it an auto? If it is I could give you a wild guess of the torque converter locking too early maybe?

On my 96 I had the K&N CAI that goes down into the wheel well and it would constantly get dirty and run almost like you describe along with a loss of power though. I got a new intake box for my 98 so I put the stock box with an SLP lid on the 96. WHOA! Like I put nos on the thing, runs completely different and that light load power issue disappeared. My girlfriend drives it and she noticed that she could shift into higher gears earlier without the engine seeming like it didn't like it. Hope this babbling helps.

Green
    1996 Z28 Camaro

Yeah its an auto, and I never thought of that. Thanks for the heads up, i'll look into that more. The car has no loss of power, if it starts to stumble a tad you just give it more gas and it comes alive.

black
    95 z28, 05 Altima

could be O2 sensors also. Once you hit the gas and the computer reads WOT the computer will cut out the O2's so the problems goes away.

Green
    1996 Z28 Camaro

Talked to my uncle today, he siad most likley not torque converter, usually they will die when you pull up to a stop sign. As for the O2 sensors, i'm not too sure yet, but possible. I finally got an SES light to come on, but it was for Evap, one of the vacuum lines had been cobbled by the previous owner and it wasn't a tight fit on the lines. Another thing I found was that my intake elbow was cracked severly, to the point i could stick a small screwdriver. I'm sure that has to be causing me some type of trouble no? I called the dealer and for $100 I can get a new one, said piss on that. Not sure if a new one will fix the surge/bogging problem but it is split, and I want it replaced. Anyone have any ideas on aftermarket goodies in that area? Don't want to spend too much, but I also don't want junk.

Arrest Me Red
    1997 Formula

Might as well go with a cold air intake (CAI), which will also replace the elbow. More $, but you are halfway there anyhow. Do a search on CAI to see what people are using and view their comments.

6SpeedZ

Medium Patriot Red
    1993 Camaro

My 93 used to hesitate a little bit at very low RPMS when it was really hot outside and the engine was really hot... You'll notice how the temp gauges go crazy high before the fans cut on... Does the heat/weather affect your problem?

Green
    1996 Z28 Camaro

nah it doesnt, it can be right in the morning when the engine is cold and it will do it. I'm almost certain its the intake elbow now, if you just touch the thing while the engine is running you can hear a change in the rpms. I found a nice looking trickflow polished intake elbow that i'm going to try and get.

6SpeedZ

Medium Patriot Red
    1993 Camaro

That sounds like your best bet! Where'd ya find it at anyhow, I've been searching for a nice hard pipe for mine...

Green
    1996 Z28 Camaro

Found it on ebay. I had another problem come up the other day and again today. the SES light came on, revealing code p1441 - evap system flow during non purge. checked all my lines, even back by the canister, all seems fine. fault purge solenoid or vacuum switch perhaps? Anyone ever have same problem? Doesn't affect drivability, but that damn SES light is so freakin annoying. Makes me feel like i'm driving a piece of shit because the light is on.

Sorry for the rant, I just hate that light

Thanks for the help.

QuickSilverMetallic
    2005 GTO M6

Try the elbow and see if that is what it was. I also have a Vortech Polished Elbow I may be willing to part with. Like new still.

Green
    1996 Z28 Camaro

The elbow seemed to help, but the bog is still slightly noticible. Now instead of dropping 400-500 rpms its about half. I noticed on the scanner when it bogs the EGR goes from 25% to 50, 75 then hits 100%...real fast, then back to 0 when the engine picks back up.

Thread Information