Thread: 396 stroker

black
    94z

396 stroker

does anyone have or know anyone who has the 396 stroker kit. im looking to build my car and im exploring the options. i either want a stroker w/ nos or a twin turbo setup. trying to research both options. i know nothing about turbos and i know people are going to suggest 383 give me your opionions and reasons for your answers. thanks

396's stressin the upper limit of the LT1 i believe, dont think it can go much more on stroke alone... the only thing youd want to be carefull of if you are planning a turbo or super (i dont know about nitrous, never looked into it personally) is that you really want good rings, pistons, forged everything you can get, and a matching cam. head work is a must if you expect anything... but the major worry is compression... if you do get a stroker and seriously plan boost, drop the compression to 8:1ish, keeping it stock or raising it (like i did with the impala gasket) makes boosting a definate nono on the lt1....

i think the world recored lt1 currently is a single massive turbo on a 398 lt1

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...ntiac_feature/

eagle makes alot of cheap kits, but i dont recommend cheap parts... not that they are worse then stock, but the might not be nearly as good as a better brand. lunati is also popular. but spend the extra on forged internals, get it balanced and put all the money you can on the pistons themselves...especially if you want boost.

thats about all i can say with my limited experience, but there are tons of qualified people here thatll be sure to add in and/or correct what i said

red
    95 Z28

Unless you plan on doing a partial block fill, just go with a 383 or smaller. If I was building a turbo LT1, it would be a stock stroke motor. Turbos love a motor that will spin up fast, and the shorter the stroke, the quicker the motor will spin up. It will also allow you to have a higher redline. A stroker (especially a 396) will require clearancing the block, and with a big power motor like that, you want all the strength you can get down there (which is why the guys who do run huge power and big cid fill the block partially, to increase strength. I personally wouldnt do it in a street car though. And then there's pistons. The more stroke you put in typically, the shorter the ring pack will be on the piston. You want as much material on the tops of those pistons as possible, and between the rings as well. What do you stand to lose with the loss of displacement? Not much. The difference between 700 rwtq and 730 rwtq aint shit, you'd already have traction issues to say the least.

And just in case the reality of this type of LT1 project hasnt hit you... To build the motor you want, and the power adder, and everything else you'll need, you're looking at 20-25k$. have fun

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

I know Golen Engine Services has built their share of LT1/LT4 crate stroker motors, both 383's and 396's. I'm sure they've done a few built for boost as well. If anything, you could try and contact them and ask for their advice.

black
    94z

im definitly doing suspension first. but that is stuff i know. i plan on spending quite a bit but it will be a while down the road probably a year or so. im just trying to research for now. i can do your basic motor swap bolt ons and so on. i work in a body shop so im familiar with cars but....... im not a mechanic so i dont know things like cam size to go with displacement cc size for heads rockers to go with. i know you can go too big and lose instead of gain so for now im just looking for a direction to go in. thanks tim

Senior Member 440 rwhp trans am's Avatar

red ta orange gto
    97 trans am 06 gto

dude build a 383 stroker. i went all motor and got 440 to the ground. not a lot of $

red
    96 ss

396= higher piston speed, more side load on the skirts and walls, more block work ( in my eyes making it weaker) for clearance. as far as cost compared to a 383 they will be close (i don't mean 50.00 close , i mean within 500.00 of each other) and both will make close to the same power level. the heads and cam will make the power not those extra 16ci. i see the 383 lasting longer. i should have my car on the road in 2 weeks (motor gets here next week or week after) i am going for more than 450 rwhp na and over 700rwhp on the bottle. i am also building it to be a street car, and it is keeping the 6 speed ( it has been built top to bottom) on a personal note i would shy away from golen. oh yeah a nitrous setup will be cheaper than a turbo setup and both will make good power. look at a http://www.nanonitrous.com/ setup to keep bottle pressure high for the entire life of a bottle fill.

black
    94z

thanks guys! can you guys list some of the major parts and sizes you used for 400+ and to run nos do you build the motor the same as you would na just using forged parts or what? thank all of you guys for taking the time to answer my questions!

black
    94z

just to let you know im not trying to build the fastest car ever but i do want to beat mustangs and no offense ...............vettes fairly easy

red
    96 ss

you will want to use forged parts. you can look around and see what power levels each different brand of different parts can hold. sometimes installer errors factor in but you can still get a good idea of what has worked for others. myself , i went with a dragonslayer crankshaft, compstar rods, custom diamond pistons, upgraded pins, hellfire rings, splayed 4 bolt main caps. you will get different advice about using cheaper parts from different people. if you gonna spray like i am you will need a list of parts = to mine. 300 shot , 2 stages, wet setup.
    nitrous likes compression, remember that. i will be running 12.3 or so with the 300 shot. quench being 44. which in my eyes was a tad to much but thats what diamond and the engine builder wanted. they do it for a living and i don't, so they win. it will not be cheap, it will be fun and it will be worth it.

Thread Information