Blue/Yellow/White
    95 T/A 383

383 Boosted LT1 Stroker Problems!! Need assistance!

So the car you see to my left is now a boosted 383 and is now my dad's car. I'm unsure of the exact mods but the engine is brand new, everything in it is new and forged. Procharger tweaked the supercharger and now its boosting above the targeted 8 PSI. (although we're unsure of exactly how much cause shes still breaking in) The tranny(3200 stall)/rearend also saw the same style of rebuild, along with a PCMForless tune.

Now onto why I need your assistance. The car is overheating like a MOFO in this Utah heat(90+), it has a 160 degree thermo and the fans are on from 160+, but the radiator is still the stock unit. He's unsure of what exactly to do about it, would a new radiator fix the problem? If not, I am completly and utterly open to suggestions!

The next issue is that she turns like a boat, we all know F-bodies and their horrible turning radius but now its getting ridiculous, the wheel is extremely difficult to move at times. It seems that the headers are impairing the movement of the steering column, or perhaps its shot. Any speculation here would be very appreciated!

Those are the two major problems at the time, if anyone has anything to add please do so, this car has been a nightmare so far and its not getting any better!!

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

was the waterpump changed during the work? is there an intercooler before the radiator? hopefully you also added a tranny cooler with the highet stall. with the additional hp i would definately change the radiator. does it overheat in traffic or on the highway or both?

Blue/Yellow/White
    95 T/A 383

Both, it stays around 180 going down the road and in traffic the needle doesn't stop climbing. The waterpump was changed and is now aftermarket, there is a single intercooler, and yes there is a tranny cooler.

Do you believe the radiator change would actually prevent the overheating? Or is it something else, perhaps?

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

it would help. with the addition of an intercooler and a tranny cooler, the air has to move through more coolers. by the time it gets to the radiator 90 degree temps turn to 120 or more at the radiator. is the air dam at the bottom of the core support still there? you might also have to get more powerfull fans or put a pusher fan in front of all the coolers.

Blue/Yellow/White
    95 T/A 383

Now I've been told in the past that it would take some modification to the radiator cradle/holder in order to fit say a Be-Cool radiator in place of the stock unit, whats the truth in that? As I said we already have a tranny cooler and an intercooler so the weaklink should be the radiator/fans then?

Also, in terms of stronger fans, what exactly should we be shooting for here do you think? A link to a product if you're aware of one would be grand, there really is no more room in this engine compartment haha so size does matter.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

this would work http://www.becool.com/#Search. just put in firebird if it doesnt link you directly. you could also try this http://www.griffinradiator.com/blank_chart3.php and just add a new set of fans if needed.

Blue/Yellow/White
    95 T/A 383

Looks like product #82246 from Be-Cool is what I'm looking for, now I just need to track down a price on that.

Am I correct in assuming that this product would require no fabrication on our behalf in order to make fit?

Oh btw having problems making that Griffin Radiators link work properly.

And I actually did find a price on 82246, omg $1,360!! LOL That had better include everything.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

just go to griffinradiator.com. look up camaro, they dont list firebird for 93-02 weird. yeah its a hefty price, but it has all brackets, wiring, and thermostat for the fan switch. call them and talk to the tech people. tell them your setup and they can let you know if it will be good.

Red
    1995 Chevy Camaro

When you install a supercharger on a LT1, you have to modify the drivers side fan in order for the supercharger to fit. This fan is your low speed fan. You high speed fan wont kick on till about 190*. Let the car idle in the driveway and check the fan to make sure it works. Let me know what you come up with.

Side note:
    $25 on a 160 Hypertech stat is not a bad investment. Keeping your car cool is SO very important

black, and black
    04 M6

he said he already had a 160 thermo, maybe try a electric water pump they flow much more consistent gpm's

get a manual fan switch as a temp right now, cheap fast and you can slap the fans on at anytime, motor running or not. maybe your thermo is stuck, happened to me... spring failed, fans were on, but it went from zero to boil in minutes.

Thread Information