Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Grey
    2010 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM

30th anniversary camaro

Did a stop on a guy the other day in a pewter camaro, I was asking him about the car, he claimed it had the lt4 conversion stock. I checked under the hood and it clearly had the gray lt1 intake, not the lt4 red. Not to mention i dont think they made any 30th anniversary in pewter, i thought they had stripes and stuff, am i wrong?

Oh and before anyone asks, yeah he got a ticket, it was a 52 hoover crip. My partner cited him for loud music.

red
    95 Z28

Only LT4 equipped F bodies were about 100 or so camaros, all 97s, white with orange stripes, and about ~25 pontiacs of the same year.

red
    96 ss

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    Only LT4 equipped F bodies were about 100 or so camaros, all 97s, white with orange stripes, and about ~25 pontiacs of the same year.
    actually they also came as orange with white stripes
    edit i cant find any info on the orange /white stripe i remember seeing, but all the lt4's are said to be only SS's
    Last edited by jasonisdn; 09-29-2006 at 11:47 AM.

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

I thought the Anniversary Editions were white with orange stripes. Never heard/seen an orange with white stripes anniversary edition before.

But didn't the 96 and 97 SS's come with the LT4 engine though too?

No 1996 SS cars came with the LT-4.

The very first prototype SLP SS LT-4 car originated from a 1993 model year Z28.

All 1997 Camaro's were 30th Anniversary cars, but not all had the "30th Anniversay Package" (all white w/orange stripes). The 30th paint scheme was available only for the Z28 and SS cars.

In 1997, only 100 SS cars, with the 30th Anniversay Package, came with the LT-4. All were hardtops and only came with 6-speed transmissions. None of them were legal for sale in California. All were also marked with a "330 HP" badge under the drivers side rear tail light.

There were also 6 (I believe) 1997 SS LT-4 "Hendricks Motorsports" cars made. These were silver with black 30th anniversary style stripes.

To my knowledge, there are only 2 1997 SS LT-4 cars that are orange w/white stripes. Neither came off of the assembly line in this fashion.
    One was a genuine LT-4 car converted by Matt Murphy (now with GMMG). This car was known as "Pumpkin". The other was converted by Zeke's, a dealer in Canada. The Zeke's car may have originated from a Z28 T-top car (of this, I am not exactly sure).

There were also around 35 1997 Pontiac Firehawk cars manufactured. These were all based the Firebird/Formula type body style. These may actually have come in all the standard colors. To my knowledge, these had no special stripes. I believe they did have a "330 HP" decal on each side of the Ram-Air hood scoop.

SLP had a hand in the construction of all cars (except for the Zeke's one maybe). If I am not mistaken, all of the LT-4 motors used in these cars were built & prepped by Hendricks Motorsports.
    Vance Chula
    1996 Camaro Z28 SS #1688
    2010 Camaro 2LT RS
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/vchula

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by VChula View Post
    To my knowledge, there are only 2 1997 SS LT-4 cars that are orange w/white stripes. Neither came off of the assembly line in this fashion.
    One was a genuine LT-4 car converted by Matt Murphy (now with GMMG). This car was known as "Pumpkin". The other was converted by Zeke's, a dealer in Canada. The Zeke's car may have originated from a Z28 T-top car (of this, I am not exactly sure).

Yep... there were no production hugger orange LTx cars at all.

red
    96 ss

http://www.carcraft.com/roadtests/908/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_LT_engine
    just some extra info i found , the orange with white was on a mag cover, when the LT4 became a issue. i didnt remember them saying it was a 1 off, ohwell i thought it looked better orange with white , than the other way

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

What I don't understand, is how the LT4 conversion kit advertises 'a proven 425+hp' while the factory LT4's were rated at only 330. Or is that just the difference between the LT4 cam and the LT4 HotCam?

red
    94 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by BlackLT1Z28 View Post
    What I don't understand, is how the LT4 conversion kit advertises 'a proven 425+hp' while the factory LT4's were rated at only 330. Or is that just the difference between the LT4 cam and the LT4 HotCam?
    The original LT4 used a much smaller cam with only about 10deg more duration than the stock LT1 cam. The rest of the difference would be made up with the assumption that you are running headers and a good exhaust.

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by RE AND CHERYL View Post
    The original LT4 used a much smaller cam with only about 10deg more duration than the stock LT1 cam. The rest of the difference would be made up with the assumption that you are running headers and a good exhaust.
    But the bolt-ons aren't going to make up for 90+ hp difference.

red
    95 Z28

But the bolt-ons aren't going to make up for 90+ hp difference.

Well, 425 flywheel horsepower is about 365rwhp in a 6 speed, give or take. I've seen a few cam-only LT1 (+bolt ons) with stock LT1 heads make a tick over 350rwhp. to gain 15rwhp from going from LT1 to LT4 heads isnt outrageous.

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Well, 425 flywheel horsepower is about 365rwhp in a 6 speed, give or take. I've seen a few cam-only LT1 (+bolt ons) with stock LT1 heads make a tick over 350rwhp. to gain 15rwhp from going from LT1 to LT4 heads isnt outrageous.
    I was just comparing the LT4 Conversion kit to the LT4 engine from GM. The complete kit advertises 425hp while the LT4 engine from GM was rated at 330hp. Shouldn't it be the same? Why would the kit put out more than the engine setup its based off of?

red
    95 Z28

I was just comparing the LT4 Conversion kit to the LT4 engine from GM. The complete kit advertises 425hp while the LT4 engine from GM was rated at 330hp. Shouldn't it be the same? Why would the kit put out more than the engine setup its based off of?

camshaft, tuning, exhaust, intake.

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

camshaft, tuning, exhaust, intake.
    So the kit that includes the LT4 intake manifold, LT4 hotcam, LT4 heads, valvatrain, etc...isn't the same components that came on the factory LT4?

Or is it saying that the kit can support up to 425hp (including bolt-ons), not produce 425 with just the kit?

I hope I am making sense and not coming off as a complete idiot.

red
    95 Z28

So the kit that includes the LT4 intake manifold, LT4 hotcam, LT4 heads, valvatrain, etc...isn't the same components that came on the factory LT4?

Or is it saying that the kit can support up to 425hp (including bolt-ons), not produce 425 with just the kit?

I hope I am making sense and not coming off as a complete idiot.
    It is assumed that you need to have all of those things with the LT4 heads and LT4 hotcam to make 425hp (good cold air intake, headers, full exhaust, tuning, etc etc.

Black
    97 Camaro SS LT4

lt4 camaro

OK let me set you guys straight as I am one of the lucky 100 to own an LT4 camaro. SLP bought 100 LT4s from chevy in 96 to make a special 30th anniversary camaro. MY LT4 is black with t-top with black corvette styled wheels. There is a badge on the dash that says 330 horsepower 345 torque 10.1:1 comp ratio and 5.7 liter LT4 V8. I have confirmed this to be an LT4 at the local chevy dealership and you can tell by the special exhaust. GM underrated the LT4 to 330 and that is before you factor in the functional ram air and SLP exhaust setup. Going to get car dynoed eventually will post results.And if any of you stock LT1s don't believe me pull up next to me at a stop light and see what happens.
    Last edited by 97lt4camaro; 10-13-2006 at 04:46 AM.

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

It is assumed that you need to have all of those things with the LT4 heads and LT4 hotcam to make 425hp (good cold air intake, headers, full exhaust, tuning, etc etc.
    Ok, now I understand. But couldn't that be considered false advertising since the ad makes it seem like the kit itself is worth 425+hp?

Quote Originally Posted by 97lt4camaro
    OK let me set you guys straight as I am one of the lucky 100 to own an LT4 camaro. SLP bought 100 LT4s from chevy in 96 to make a special 30th anniversary camaro. MY LT4 is black with t-top with black corvette styled wheels. There is a badge on the dash that says 330 horsepower 345 torque 10.1:1 comp ratio and 5.7 liter LT4 V8. I have confirmed this to be an LT4 at the local chevy dealership and you can tell by the special exhaust. GM underrated the LT4 to 330 and that is before you factor in the functional ram air and SLP exhaust setup. Going to get car dynoed eventually will post results.And if any of you stock LT1s don't believe me pull up next to me at a stop light and see what happens.
    It may be underrated, but those few mods (from factory) aren't going to make a huge difference. At least not the kits advertised 425hp. I'd say ~350hp at the crank.

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 97lt4camaro View Post

All 1997 SLP LT4 equipped camaros were white with orange stripes. Please show me some documentation from SLP to show otherwise. I have no doubt your car has an LT4 in it, but I'm not too sure it's one of the factory SLP cars. Also, I know what the LT4 F bodies dyno, I've seen a dyno sheet from a stock one. It put down 291rwhp on a dynojet. That works out to about 335hp exactly. That is with the correct SLP exhaust, and the ram air is barely what I would consider functional.

Black
    97 Camaro SS LT4

Ok, now I understand. But couldn't that be considered false advertising since the ad makes it seem like the kit itself is worth 425+hp?

It may be underrated, but those few mods (from factory) aren't going to make a huge difference. At least not the kits advertised 425hp. I'd say ~350hp at the crank.
    I didn't say it would make up the difference but from speaking with a few mechanics they say to expect about 370 at the crank. That is a nice stock exhaust system but isn't as good as any aftermarket and with proper tuning could easily make the 425 to the crank.

Black
    97 Camaro SS LT4

All 1997 SLP LT4 equipped camaros were white with orange stripes. Please show me some documentation from SLP to show otherwise. I have no doubt your car has an LT4 in it, but I'm not too sure it's one of the factory SLP cars. Also, I know what the LT4 F bodies dyno, I've seen a dyno sheet from a stock one. It put down 291rwhp on a dynojet. That works out to about 335hp exactly. That is with the correct SLP exhaust, and the ram air is barely what I would consider functional.
    That is were you are wrong SLP made 20 that were black with the black corvette styled wheels. I have run the vin numbers at the dearlership to guarantee that it is one of the SLP LT4 camaros. By functional I mean it is actually set up as a ram air function and not just a pretty hood scoop. All I know is it would take my old mustang out the wood shed and that is good enough for me.

Thread Information