Mystic Teal
    2000 Z28

1997 Trans AM Will not start please help.

I'm working on a '97 Trans Am and I replaced a turn signal bulb socket in the front and in the process removed the horn for easier access. Now the car will not start. I was thinking perhaps removing the horn triggered something in the anti-theft system as it utilizes the horn and lights when the alarm goes off. The red LED security light on the dash was flashing intermittently but now doesn't come on at all. Normally when I turn on the key all the idiot lights flash on for a second prior to starting the car but now nothing at all lights up. The headlights turn on and the dome lights turn on but none of the dash lights are coming on at all and it does nothing at all when you try to start it. I've searched the internet and the only solution I found was to disconnect the battery for 10 minutes then connect it and turn the key to the accessory position for 10 minutes until the anti-theft light stays solid, and then the car should start, I've tried this and several variations of this with no luck. The anti-theft light isn't lit up, none of the dash lights at all lite up. I called the local Pontiac dealership on Friday and they want me to have it towed in for service. I really don't want to spend all that money just to disarm the anti-theft if that is the problem. I'm borderline retarded so I'm thinking maybe it's something obvious that I'm missing. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance ~Mark

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Did you remove any ground wires? PCM ground is over there. When you hit the key do you hear the fuel pump.

You don't have to pay tons of money to bypass the VATS module. Just do the VATS bypass yourself. I just did it and it was very easy. Make sure you check your grounds, you make not have one hooked back up.

Mystic Teal
    2000 Z28

Thanks for the suggestions

Thanks a lot for the suggestions, it ended up being a fuseable link from the battery to the starter so I replaced it and I'm back on the road. Thanks again. ~Mark

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by mystictealZ28 View Post
    Thanks a lot for the suggestions, it ended up being a fuseable link from the battery to the starter so I replaced it and I'm back on the road. Thanks again. ~Mark
    I had no idea there even was one. Where is it located?

I didn't know there was one either, the location would be a good thing to know in case anyone else has this problem.

Mystic Teal
    2000 Z28

I apologize for the late response. The car had a stereo and alarm installed before I bought it and I'm uncertain if the fuseable link is from the factory or is part of the alarm system as everything seems professionally installed. I tend to believe it isn't from the factory because it isn't with the bundle of factory fuseable links behind the battery. I have a 2000 Z28 which is wired similar to the Pontiac and it doesn't have one in this location. Sorry for any confusion. If it does happen to be factory it is located in the black plastic wiring cover on the inside passenger's side fender wire loom.

Thread Information