Black
    1996 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

1996 Trans Am WS6 Not Starting

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum here, but I've been searching since yesterday and want to check that I'm on the right path here.

Saturday I was out driving with my wife and a friend and playing around (well outside of the city) I opened her up and got up to about 130 mph before letting off. Didn't seem to have any problems at all afterward, drove it back home, started it up two more times that same day to get around, and no problem. Then yesterday I went out ready to go and the car wouldn't start at all - won't turn over, won't even make any noise from the starter trying to get it going. So I put the battery on the charger and take it to an O'Reilly's to confirm my battery was in fact shot (7 yrs. old). Bought a new one, put it in - still dead and no noise. I checked all the fuses in the fuse box to make sure nothing had blown and everything was fine, so now I'm stuck.

From what I've gathered after reading around for a few hours, I think the next thing I should check when I get off work today is going to be the ignition switch, as well as testing power from the starter and alternator to make sure I don't need to replace either of them as well. Is there anything else you guys can recommend? I hate driving the beater car (no A/C in Texas) and want to get back in the bird ASAP.

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28

By any chance is the security light on the instrument cluster on or flashing when you try to start the car?
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28 A4
    SLP cold air intake/lid, SLP smooth bellow, Pacesetter LT's, ORY, Magnaflow exhaust, BMR STB, adjustable Panhard rod, SFC's, LCA's, 1LE sway bars, cross-drilled rotors

Black

When the key is in the ignition, everything works (lights, stereo, etc.). Checked the starter and it's good, getting full 12V. Was able to get the car started by jumping it with a power probe, but still won't turn over with the key. The security light blinks when the car is off, but turns off when the key is in the ignition in the on position. Checked the clutch switch and it's getting normal power as well. I also checked with both keys (I have 2 full key fobs from when the car was bought by the first owner) and neither one works as well.

Using the power probe, I can get the car on by hitting a pin on the thick purple wire and get it started for now, but I really don't feel like carrying a power probe around all the time to get it started until I get this sorted out. It's not the VATS issue because it starts up and runs just fine once I jump it.
    Last edited by Blackhawk96; 07-16-2012 at 04:07 PM.

Black

So after further probing and prodding last night, I have narrowed it down to possibly being the TDR causing the issue. Everything seems to be putting out the right voltage where it needs to be, yet the key just will not send power to the starter. Thinking I'm going to have to bypass the VATS system today after work to get this going. Is this a common issue for when a battery dies?

Black

Alright, I'm finally back in business! I got the TDR off and checked everything with the power probe again and found that the relay was fine. After using a paperclip to jumper the ignition switch to the starter line and being able to start the car without the clutch, I decided to test the clutch line voltages as well to make sure it was all good before actually trying to put in a bypass and found the clutch wire was not putting out any voltage. I climbed back under the driver's side and found a 2nd clutch switch that only gets used when the clutch is all the way to the floor (that I had overlooked the first time) and tested it - sure enough, it was dead. $6 fix from O'Reilly's and everything is back together and running without any bypass of the TDR.

red
    95 Z28

Good job. I hate electrical problems

black
    1995 trans am

Ok I notice that I have no power to the injectors I got spark and everything just not get gas

red
    95 Z28

Ok, some more things to start checking. Check all related fuses. Not likely the issue, but check them anyway. Check resistance on all of the injectors individually. This sounds like an issue with either the PCM or VATS cutting injector power. I dont recall specifically what fires the injectors initially. I know on some older cars the ignition module initially did it before the PCM took over.

Thread Information