Pewter
    1999 Trans Am 5.7L

Exclamation Y-Pipe on fell off on I-8

I just got my car back together after doing a cam swap, and am taking the car in to get the computer tuned at Overkill Motorsports. I have had some problems with keeping my Y-Pipe all bolted up. It constantly falls out of the headers or the pipe right before the muffler. They wont line up all the way. So I'm driving, and I hear some rattling, but I didnt want to pull over as it was 5:30pm, so needless to say, stopping on the 8 around 5 is pretty dumb. Bumper to bumper traffic. Yeah, not fun. Anyway, so I am driving on it, and suddenly, the noise goes away, and I see my buddy (who is driving my other car so we can get back) suddenly swerve out of the way. He flashes his lights, and we pull over anyway. I get out of the car, and said "I dropped the Y-Pipe didnt I" He said "Yup" Well shit. So I take off, and this car is REDICULOUSLY LOUD now, since I am running only long tube headers. At 2300RPM I could feel it. Heck I could feel it at 1500RPM. It was insane. Between that and trying to keep it running made for a quite interesting trip. If you happen to be someone who hit that pipe, I apologize for that.

black
    01 ws6

AHOLE that was you!!! Well I got a new y pipe now , ahah just kidding - that sux bro, do you happen to meet up w/ any other f-bods in san diego? I live off of palm and the 805... see lots of firebirds but not many trans ams/v8 camaros.....

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

hahahaha that was funny

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am 5.7L

I live off of Home Street. Basically where the 94 and the 805 meet. I like it, pretty secluded. Not too much to worry about.

chameleon
    98 T/A

Quote Originally Posted by eddielb View Post
    AHOLE that was you!!! Well I got a new y pipe now , ahah just kidding - that sux bro, do you happen to meet up w/ any other f-bods in san diego? I live off of palm and the 805... see lots of firebirds but not many trans ams/v8 camaros.....
    ha ha ha ha haha ha! how the hell, i dont understand why it could just fall the fuck off. isnt there bolts on 3 pipe ends?

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am 5.7L

Yeah, I have had problems with them falling off of the headers. (that only happened once though.) The part where it couples to the exhaust right before the rear end wouldnt go in all the way due to the pipe on one side not being big enough. So that hasnt been connected in a long time. I would get it in part of the way, and it would fall off after about 15 min of driving, so I just quit with it. Sucks that it had to happen now though. I was going to have rob help me fix that problem. Oh well. Bought myself into a new Y-pipe. Could have been worse though. Could have totaled my car behind me. That would have sucked!!

Thread Information