Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

WS6 vs WS7...from buyers standpoint

I am looking to buy a T/A soon. I definitely want the WS6. But after spending a lot of time reading in this forum, it appears that I may want to get a regular T/A and make it a WS7 since I am on a limited budget. I need to know what you guys think. Could I save some money and buy a T/A and make all of the conversions cheap? Thank you for the help.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Heres how i see it. If your gonna mod it buy a reg trans am and go to work. If your gonna do light mods if so none at all getta WS6. Why spend thousands of dollars more on a car which ur basically gonna strip half that crap off it. The hood isnt that expensive and you can buy it online. You can make a reg T/A a WS7 it just takes $$. I was looking at a black WS6 online with the rims mr. luos has but in the add it said 6spd and in real life it was auto. But man o man it had everything i wanted, the rims, black on black w/ 6 disk changer, but auto why was it an A4!! Then i gave up and just bought a reg T/A and am still in the process 1.5 yrs thousands and thousands of dollars later still modding it. Dont get me wrong i love WS6, few of my friends have them, but either way u look at it both cars do have the EXACT same engine.

86 Buick Grand National
    02 WS6-M6 407 RWHP

I understand making the conversion on a new car considering the ws6 was a
    3k plus option but when buying a used car i doubt the difference in price between the exact same care with the package and with out is gonna be 3k. Plus you might be able to find a good deal on a ws6 for well under blue blook. I paid 18 for mine and blue book was 21,000. Most cars i was looking at for 18 had another 15,000 miles on them so a T/A without it isn't necessarily gonna be cheaper than one with the package depending on what the seller wants for it.

Well, I have considered modding it, but that will take money which I don't have now and can't assume that I will have it later either. I really like the ram air hood and I know I could get it online, but I also know that having a "fake" car isn't really desirable.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

y wood it be fake. Just as long as u dont put the WS6 badge on it and tell ppl its a ws6 theres nothing to be ashamed of.

I guess you have a point there.

What is the biggest reason the the WS6 has and extra 15-20hp?
    Is that something that I could change myself if I got a non WS6?

Sorry to ask such basic knowledge questions, I deal with 2nd generation T/A's. I don't know much about the 4th gen ones, but I do plan to learn. I would like to own a 99 to go along with my 79.

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

I would be ashamed if its not a WS6 i dont want it to say that. I have a non ws6 2000 red T/A and im fine without the hood infact i dont want the hood at this point why make my car something it isnt im gonna go with the 4 extractor hood i found i dont want the bird on it though lol.

http://www.lmperformance.com/3092/1.html

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

There is NO difference in performance between a WS6 and a Non WS6 Formula or Trans Am The extra HP is just Not there.
    I ordered my Formula in `98 without the WS6 option because I saw no need to spend $3K on a performance package that was not any faster than a regular Formula/Trans Am. i do have a WS6 hood but I couldn't pass it up for $250. I am not ashamed that I have it nor do I claim to have a WS6 because of it. It is what it is and tht's a Bad Ass Car

My advice is buy what you want and personalize it to your tastes
    Don't be afraid to be different cause people get tired of seeing cookie cutter cars at car shows.

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Im not saying dont put the hood on the car by all means its a badass hood but i just wouldnt try and tell eveyone its a ws6 i dont care about the kids who really dont know but true ls1 lovers i dont wanna say yeah its a ws6 when it isnt.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

then dont tell them. When i first got my car a few kids from school saw me driving, nxt day i didnt have the car cuz i was replacing the clutch and every1 was like "rajiv is that a WS6?" i told them "no i just have the hood." And honestly who gives half a rats ass about other ppl. Half of em dont know what there saying. Just look at it this way, an LS1 is an LS1 and can blow the doors off on most cars you see on a daily basis.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Cost of mods to a regular Trans Am to get it to a WS.7 = price of a WS.6.

86 Buick Grand National
    02 WS6-M6 407 RWHP

Like i said look on autotrader you can easily find a WS6 with the same miles as a non WS6 t/a for the same price. So who's to say your going to spending any more to buy what you want if you can get a good deal on one.

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

I dont htink you will i couldnt find a WS6 for the price i paid for mine i paid 10.7k for my 2000 T/A with 48k miles on it with slp headers exhaust and a lid it was also lowered and had a clutch in it.

All the WS6 i looked at with those kinda miles were stock and the lowest was 14.5k so i dont know what hes talking about.

My cars a 94 with a 98 ws6 style hood and front lol! No one ever asks me if its a ws6 anyways! I cant see spending more for a ws6 myself... for the same price id go ws6.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by gd1996 View Post
    I cant see spending more for a ws6 myself...
    I just wanted the really cool ASC number.

I would love to find one for 10,700 with 48k. I am looking at one now with 48k, WS6 hood, slp headers and exhaust, chip, subframe connectors and they want 13,000 for it. I am really looking hard right now so if anyone can point me to a good deal, I would appreciate it. I am willing to fly to just about anywhere and drive it home. (I have a free plane ticket)

I dont even know what asc is! lol So maybhe if I knew Id change my mind :P

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

If its in good condition its probably worth 13k mine was a good deal its cause they couldnt get check engine light to go off when i took it to my friends shop we found out it was a unplugged o2 sensor so i drove it back to dealership bought it and plugged it back in light went off in 30 minutes. I also got a 2 year warrenty if they offer it go with it.

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

In my area WS6's are going for quite a bit more than base T/A's. Not to mention depending on your insurance company the rates may be quite a bit higher for the WS6. I have owned both and there isn't really much difference between the two. It's mainly the hood and wheels. Granted resale is better on the WS6. They both mod the same so just get the one you can find a better deal on. If you won't have money for mods get the WS6 if you can find one that is close in price. If you do the base T/A don't put Ws6 badges on it and I also think WS7 badges are corny.

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Agreed on the badges.

Thread Information