Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Pewter
    2002 WS6 TA

WS6 pricing around the country?

Guys,

Further to my recent question about dealers and taxes if i export to the UK.....
    ..... what advice can i get from you guys about pricing of these cars across
    the States?

I have been spending ages trawling all of the usual suspects such as Autotrader, ebay,
    oodle and others, and the prices seem very creative!! Yeah, i know they don't make them and all of that, but....

Take this one for example Red 2001 Pontiac Firebird Formula for Sale in Buffalo, New York $16,999 54,308 Miles
    Is it overpriced or is it about right? ( apologies if links to cars are not allowed!!!)
    If i tried to beat him right down would he cave do you reckon as we all know dealers add on
    big chunks, "because they can"!

I have seen, since i have been on this site, that people say there are expensive and less
    expensive areas to buy across the States? If for example the West coast is cheaper then because it would incur more in
    shipping costs it would even out from a dear car on the east coast, so......

Looking forward to some help in my quest to get a good one for realistic money!

Trev

bright red
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

It all depends on the seller...
    But I honestly have to say that low mileage 98+ f-bodies command a high price...
    11-15 yr old cars with under ~50k miles are hard tto find
    And I'm a firm believer that these cars will become a classic
    So to answer your question... that price seems about right
    The other day I saw this 02 firehawk with 6k original miles and it sold for 49k...
    I can't really justify the price for that one unless its simply a collector car

Black
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

I recently purchased my 2002 WS6, Black/Tan with 59K miles for $12,200 from a private party. I had to drive from CA to UT/NV border to get it (about 12 hours) but worth it. Made it a weekend trip. Interior and drivetrain are like new. Body/paint/wheels were an 8.5 out of 10 but the money I saved got new tires, WS6 wheels, painted some panels/hood and detail. Car is now like new !!. I had the owner take it to a GMC dealer to do a "Used Car" inspection because of CA emissions/scan the PCM and well worth the $90 before I made the trip out there. They called me and said everything was there and car was very clean, then I drove up and purchased it. There are other inspection companies and escrow companies you can use. I also ran a Car Fax on it. Unlimited Car Fax's is about $50.

Dealers are always going to be $2K-$6K higher, plus you have to pay "full" sales tax. Not sure how that works for overseas. My car was stock except muffler and wheels. He threw in a new car cover, mats and T-Top bag.

Just have to keep looking on craigslist, eBay, and auto trader. My wife is the one who actually found mine online. You will find a good one for a good price, it just takes time hunting online.

The guy who bought my 1978 Trans Am was from Norway. He just had someone locally do the transaction and I was a private party. He found my ad on Craigslist. Maybe you can find someone here who's business does the inspection and shipping. Just a thought.
    Last edited by BBATCAR; 02-17-2013 at 08:16 PM.

Pewter
    2002 WS6 TA

Thanks guys,

Good stuff in there and i will keep looking hard!

Just one thought.... is Craig's list "reputable" as i have heard
    and seen many odd stories and bad listing tales?!

Trev

bright red
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

Only do Craigslist if its local...
    If you're in the UK looking at cars here in the US they are going to think YOU are the scammer

Pewter
    2002 WS6 TA

Hiya,

Well.... i hear you but i have to say importing of US cars to the UK is really pretty big and
    although i understand your thoughts there i have been looking extensively at Craigslist today,
    found a few good results to follow up and i have heard back from two who understood my
    looking for a car and apologized as the cars were sold.

I see all the "warnings" on Craigslist but my approach is very comprehensive to each seller
    and i make it quite clear i am genuine by various means. Besides, if they show a number,
    as most do, then i pick up and call them!! Always works that one.

I appreciate your input Valor but it is a rather cynical, sweeping statement i feel. besides,
    aside from ebay and Autotrader it is a pretty rich source of cars and already starting to
    bear fruit. yes scams happen, but there are mature enough ways to safeguard both seller
    and buyer. Also, and i don't expect you intended it, but it came across as extremely negative
    and a real kick in the teeth at my efforts to enjoy these cars.

Trev
    Last edited by speedyWS6; 02-18-2013 at 02:25 PM.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by speedyWS6 View Post
    Guys,

Further to my recent question about dealers and taxes if i export to the UK.....
    ..... what advice can i get from you guys about pricing of these cars across
    the States?

I have been spending ages trawling all of the usual suspects such as Autotrader, ebay,
    oodle and others, and the prices seem very creative!! Yeah, i know they don't make them and all of that, but....

Take this one for example Red 2001 Pontiac Firebird Formula for Sale in Buffalo, New York $16,999 54,308 Miles
    Is it overpriced or is it about right? ( apologies if links to cars are not allowed!!!)
    If i tried to beat him right down would he cave do you reckon as we all know dealers add on
    big chunks, "because they can"!

I have seen, since i have been on this site, that people say there are expensive and less
    expensive areas to buy across the States? If for example the West coast is cheaper then because it would incur more in
    shipping costs it would even out from a dear car on the east coast, so......

Looking forward to some help in my quest to get a good one for realistic money!

Trev
    I know of a 2002 WS6 convertible with 11k for sale if you are interested
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

Trev,

Here's a thought. Place a car wanted ad in the European Stars and Stripes newspaper describing what you are looking for. Lots of military personnel in Germany bring nice cars over with them. It would be a lot easier for you to take a train to Kaiserslautern to pick up a car than having it shipped from the states. If you find a car you can also look at it in person before buying. Checkout Europe Classifieds | Stars and Stripes for information on submitting an advert.

Steve

Pewter
    2002 WS6 TA

Hi all...

2002, thanks for the heads up on the convertible but one of the big
    boxes to tick for me are T tops and not a convertible.

If i had a decent garage i may consider one but the car will have
    to reside under a decent all weather car cover and that's not really
    do-able for a convertible!... but thank you!

Steve... I'll look into that and thank you both for the positivity

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Getting ready to head out the door to work and didn't read all the above -- but here's a thought. If you find a U.S. car you are interested in, post up and see if someone on the site is close enough to go check it out in person for you. I have seen several similar requests on here over the past few years.

Pewter
    2002 WS6 TA

Jeff,

Some real good thoughts and advice from this and my other post regarding dealer
    pricing.

I expect a lot of people would not slate Craigslist... and i'll tell you what....I was on
    the phone at length last night to a very genuine sounding fellah North of Jacksonville
    via, yep, Craigslist!! It took a couple of explanatory emails to convince him i was not
    a Nigerian prince But once we got chatting we both knew we were completely
    legit!

The car is a 2000 pewter WS6 with 54k on the clock and in pampered sunny day only
    condition... great price too as he understood my financial commitment to get it to
    the UK.

This is perhaps a good moment to explain why i am after another as my avatar shows
    a silver 2000 car, which, stupidly i sold about a year ago "because i didn't think i used
    it enough" There was a woman involved in the decision I have tried to buy
    the car back to no avail... certainly would not want to buy her back!!!!!!

I digress.... I just have to have another WS6 in my life and as an aside... i was watching
    the new series of Top Gear the other night and Clarkson said "you can't drive a bank
    balance". This REALLY struck me and over the last few days my search has gone from
    solely the UK (for convenience), back to the States for a wider choice and better prices.

To Jeffs thoughts of an inspection.... The car is in the Jacksonville area and i wonder if
    anybody here is able or willing to pop round and check it out for me?

I do have to say though that, having done this before i know all of the things to watch for
    both with the car and also the whole shipping process. He is going to take a whole raft of
    pics for me and email them off. But a picture cannot capture that moment you turn the key
    and listen for hideous noises or way too much piston slap!

My checklist last night covered all of the usual suspects such as panel cracks,pimply sail
    panel,darkened rear light,CEL, and so on.

Anyhow... if anybody is in the area and feels benevolent then stand up and make yourself
    known as you would be doing me a great service for peace of mind!!

Trev

Pewter
    2002 WS6 TA

Darn,

The seller is a great, accommodating guy and i have just received about two
    dozen pics of the car and the body is just too dinked up for it to be a goer.

The dash is a tad carved up too with the Monsoon missing and some cheap
    looking pioneer in it's place. Not a major issue, that's not but i do crave originality.

Body work is doing it for me though...

Best get searching again.

Trev

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Too bad about your first find. Good luck with the search!

Maple Red Metallic
    2001 T/A

As to that link.....Is it a Formula/Trans Am? My question is.... it a TRUE Formula? If I did my homework on my car which is a Formula/Trans Am then something is wrong there. I was under the impression that a Formula would be RPO code Y82 and WS9, does not have Ram Air and comes with the TrueFiber hood that's only available on the Firehawk and a Formula. I don't think the Formuls comes with TC (traction control) like all other WS6's.That TA looks to be a WS6, although I can't make out the emblem. The hood looks to be a typical Ram Air without the heat extractors like the TrueFiber hood.
    I only paid 12,600 "out the door" for mine with only 24k miles on it in Dec of 2012. From a dealer, not a private seller. This is what I found when I ran my RPO numbers. I may be wrong here, but it's what I found. Please correct me if you know something I may have missed.
    Last edited by Nutball; 02-22-2013 at 07:54 AM.

Pewter
    2002 WS6 TA

Hmmmm...

Well, after speaking to the seller he assured me it was a genuine WS6 but i have to
    say though that if this was the one i ended up buying i would have seen to it that i received
    at least 100 hi res pics of it as i did my last car, including pics of the RPO codes on the door, the vin,
    you name it i would have asked for it!!

Correct me if i am wrong by all means but trufiber hoods are an aftermarket item and not fitted
    to factory WS6 cars??!!

My last WS6 (yes, absolutely genuine) had both Y82 and WS9 on the code sticker... along with
    of course... WS6.

Have to be honest in that your take on all of the specs confused me a tad, but mine was as i
    have said. I look forward to a real RPO guru perhaps focusing this info a bit better?

Trev

Maple Red Metallic
    2001 T/A

Hmmmm...

Well, after speaking to the seller he assured me it was a genuine WS6 but i have to
    say though that if this was the one i ended up buying i would have seen to it that i received
    at least 100 hi res pics of it as i did my last car, including pics of the RPO codes on the door, the vin,
    you name it i would have asked for it!!

Correct me if i am wrong by all means but trufiber hoods are an aftermarket item and not fitted
    to factory WS6 cars??!!

My last WS6 (yes, absolutely genuine) had both Y82 and WS9 on the code sticker... along with
    of course... WS6.

Have to be honest in that your take on all of the specs confused me a tad, but mine was as i
    have said. I look forward to a real RPO guru perhaps focusing this info a bit better?

Trev
    First off.....What I have read, ALL T/A's have the RPO code Y82. Having a WS9 makes it a Formula. And having those with the WS6 makes it a TRUE Ram Air WS6. The TrueFiber hood was not only an aftermarket piece but also available only on Firehawks and Formula's. As for being a RPO guru, If I had all of the RPO numbers...I can certainly find out what that car is.
    Sorry, I didn't word it like you would have wanted it. I will from now on keep my opinons and comments to myself!

Pewter
    2002 WS6 TA

Sorry bud,

You mis-construed! never meant anything against you or your post... Just that there are
    some really knowledgable RPO guys i expect and i would expect them to know more
    than me!!

Post away as i respect all comments on here.... we are here to learn, eh...

Trev

Maple Red Metallic
    2001 T/A

Sorry bud,

You mis-construed! never meant anything against you or your post... Just that there are
    some really knowledgable RPO guys i expect and i would expect them to know more
    than me!!

Post away as i respect all comments on here.... we are here to learn, eh...

Trev
    Thanks Trev...means alot. I'm no expert by any means, but I did my homework when I purchased mine. And learned quite a bit.If I had all of the RPO numbers, I can guarantee I can explain every code number.

Black
    79 Trans Am

It is my opinion that a very large percentage of these cars are over priced. Some will try and argue that they are collector cars but they have not really reached that status yet save for a few examples. They also really are not that rare.

Pewter
    2002 WS6 TA

Jon,

Well said,

I will really try and keep hold of these thoughts as i look around.

I agree totally and i damn well WILL find one at a sensible price
    that hasn't been to the moon and back laying rubber the whole way!!

Trev

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information