Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

WS6 as a daily driver

How would a WS6 treat me as pretty much a daily driver? I drive 95% of my miles on the highway and there would obviously be the occasional hot rodding.

I would be getting the M6 and I have read they get around 26 mpgs so that would only be about 4 miles less per gallon than im getting now. I have read a few things on here about the high cost of owning a WS6. I would have the payments and insurance under control, so does the high cost come from maintainence?

Are the WS6's reliable for a daily driver? This wouldn't be my only car, so i could drive something else in bad weather, but for the most part it would become my daily driver.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

i had my manual ws.6 as a daily driver for about 1.5 years then a winter wreck made me buy a beater.

they are fine for being a daily driver, but you CAN'T BEAT ON IT as often b/c if you fuck it up it'll go down and go down HARD. a clutch can set you back over 600 a rear-end almost a grand, and tires @ nearly 120-150 a piece....

just be good to it. Enjoy it, and be safe. It will work out fine; we're in the same climate and i'm tellin you now-you may want to hold off on buying until after this winter so you can drive it snow-free for a good 9 months.

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    i had my manual ws.6 as a daily driver for about 1.5 years then a winter wreck made me buy a beater.

they are fine for being a daily driver, but you CAN'T BEAT ON IT as often b/c if you fuck it up it'll go down and go down HARD. a clutch can set you back over 600 a rear-end almost a grand, and tires @ nearly 120-150 a piece....

just be good to it. Enjoy it, and be safe. It will work out fine; we're in the same climate and i'm tellin you now-you may want to hold off on buying until after this winter so you can drive it snow-free for a good 9 months.
    Im not in any hurry to buy one. I'm going to wait until I find exactly what I want at a decent deal. About two weeks before I got serious about this, I passed up an 2001 pewter WS6 with 11,000 miles on it for $16,000. That pisses me off daily lol.

I dont plan to ever abuse it, but drive it hard once in a while....hell yes.

Pewter
    2000 WS6 A4

I drive mine every day W/ an A4. I am getting ready to put it away for winter though. We are supposed to be getting snow tonight...

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Camel View Post
    Im not in any hurry to buy one. I'm going to wait until I find exactly what I want at a decent deal. About two weeks before I got serious about this, I passed up an 2001 pewter WS6 with 11,000 miles on it for $16,000. That pisses me off daily lol.

I dont plan to ever abuse it, but drive it hard once in a while....hell yes.
    you gimmie 12k and you can have mine, 2000 Navy blue metallic with lots of suspension upgrades, tint and a spec3. only 112,000 miles (if you say 'i'll think about that" i'll know you're joking)

actually i would sell it if the price was right, but no one would ever purchase it for what i owe on it.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6

I've had my '02 for over four years. I have just under 22,000 miles and it's been a daily driver since i've driven it off the lot. No problems to speak of other than the usual (headlight gears, cracked door panels, power windows going out, and a broken a/c knob). No engine problems what-so-ever. Give it a good go every now and then to get the rush. I race the occasional mustangs, imports, vettes, with beautiful results. Good luck in your search and we all know you're gonna love it.

2000 Trans Am WS6 LS6
    2006 GTO LS2

I have a beater (94 Ford Probe) I use as a daily driver and I use my 2000 TA only on pretty days and to the drag strip. My TA sets in the garage most of the time and it's great not putting the miles and wear and tear on it. The Colorado winters can be rough on a car and my beater takes it fine because it's a FWD. Keeping the miles off my TA is great and I am not in a rush when doing MODS on my TA.

Member A~NICE~CAR~IS~A~NICE~CAR's Avatar

Rally Red/race stripes
    2002 Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Camel View Post
    I passed up an 2001 pewter WS6 with 11,000 miles on it for $16,000. That pisses me off daily lol.
    Not to re ignite your fury, but dam did that one get away!

Quote Originally Posted by A~NICE~CAR~IS~A~NICE~CAR View Post
    Not to re ignite your fury, but dam did that one get away!
    The real zinger was that the guy said he had it listed for a month and couldn't sell it. The reason he was selling it was because he was moving from Indiana to California, and after a month of not being able to sell it, he said he broke down and just shipped it to CA. This was less that a week before I called him.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

The gas mileage takes a nose dive when you stand on it...you can literally see the gas gauge go down But if you keep your foot off of it you'll see great gas mileage considering the power you have on tap.

My Z is a DD with 94k on the clock....rebuilt the rear but other then that no probs.

Navy Blue
    2001 Formula

I've had my 01 Formula M6 since new. It has been my daily driver always. 80,000 miles, just replaced original tires last spring. Have not yet changed the brakes since new, but will do soon. I get 21 mpg mix of highway and suburban driving. Only repair is a smog pump, to pass emissions. Only do oil changes every 3 - 5k, Mobil 1. It is a great daily driver, but it can be scarry in snow/ice (like today in Chicago) I have no plans to get rid of this car.

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

Gas is about it the only complaint. I get horrible millege in the city but on the highway it does alright i usally get 24 mpg. DONT drive in the snow and ice.The're helpless, i got caught at school and we ended up getting getting an 1/2inch of sleet and 2 inches of snow in a couple hours. It was the single scariest moment on the road ive ever had. 275/45-17 suck for snow

pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6

I use mine as a daily driver and it works perfectly,just keep up on the maintenance and you shouldn"t have any problems.

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

my 99 ws.6 w/70k miles, always been a daily driver. Like said before be sure to do the maintanence and you should be fine, take care of her and she will take care of you.
    1999 T/A WS6 Black -------SOLD
    05 mustang Roush sport;
    DOB manifold, m122 SC, 47lb injectors, gt500 TB, roush TVS CAI, Detroit rocker SC grind camshafts, Mac LTs, off road x, roush off road mufflers, roush short throw shifter, kenne bell BAP, Brenspeed 93 octane tune. 479rwhp 436ftlbs SAE.

White
    1999 Trans Am WS6

I have had some minor electrical problems with mine, but most of that was from bad connections. I have put 53k miles on mine in the last five years as a daily driver, and it is now at around 125k miles, and still runs strong. No doubt, they are fun as hell to drive every day, but my gas mileage isnt as good as everyone else is getting. I would say I get 17-18 mpg city driving, maybe 20 highway. Still not bad for a V8 but what really puts the nail in the coffin is having to put premium in it. If I could afford another car to use as a daily driver, I would drive something else and keep this one for the fun days. However, all things considered, she has been very good to me, and I think you will be just fine with one as long as you keep up regular maintenance as everyone else has said.

Bright Silver Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Mine is a daily--except for 6 in. of snow
    If you drive it with some sanity it should be fine.

Red
    '02 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 99_natural_beauty View Post
    what really puts the nail in the coffin is having to put premium in it.
    why do you have to put premium in it, did you bump the compression ratio way up or have a different tune? Stock, the ECM can compensate for the lower octane very easily and contrary to popular belief you will not lose a noticable amount of performance. If you are going to the track then yes premium all the way.

BTW, my TA is only driven to work once week, its basically a weekend car. Once I get my '71 Olds running nicely I'll have two weekend cars

Red
    WS6 Trans Am

I have a 2000 ws6 with a built tranny and it works great for a daily driver.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSilverSurfer View Post
    Mine is a daily--except for 6 in. of snow
    If you drive it with some sanity it should be fine.
    I take care of my cars so thats not a concern. My truck has 216,000 miles on it, my car has 185,000 miles on it and my last car had 275,000 miles on it when I sold it.

None of them have had any major repairs, just the usual such as alternators, water pumps, and fuel pumps here and there.

I plan on putting some miles on this car and wanted to find out if it was capable of handling it.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Yes get the M6. Mine is my daily driver, I love it. I haven't had anything expensive happen. Tires are pricey, tho. You only live once.

Thread Information