Blog Entries

White
    2007 Firebird Trans AM WS

Unhappy WS6 Clutch change problem

Question concerning the clutch change out on a 2002 Trans Am 5.7 L, 6 Speed. We removed the tranny and worn clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, pilot and slave cylinder. There was no problem what so ever in installing the clutch parts. However, when trying to slide the tranny back in, it goes into the spline area of the clutch fine...but stops about 1 - 1.125 inches from fully mating up. Why is the pilot -part of the shaft not sliding into the pilot bearing. There is room, and the pilot has a concave edge, but it will not go in for some reason. It is like the engine should tilt back a little more, but I do not want to ruin the engine and am at a loss. So it gets parked till next weekend. We have (that is grand son and his wright lifting buddy) tried shake rattle and rolling the dang thing, but it does NOT want to go all the way in. Took tranny out and checked plastic spline alignment again and it slips right in and out. I am ferblabergasted.

We are not new at mechanics and have been changing engines and trannys in GMC, Chrysler, Ford, Honda, and EVOs for years. Am open for any help.

Is this gonna be one of those problems where you try to get it to go into the pilot bearing for three years then it pops in and everyone forgets the problem? There is precious little room in the rear to maneuver the dang thing.
    Last edited by Dandur805; 01-27-2014 at 12:00 AM.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I am going to ask the obvious question as it is the first thing that comes to mind - is the disc centered with the pilot bearing? If yes, and you're sure, I would suggest drawing the transmission in with bolts. A lot of people do it that way.

I am assuming you are using an alignment tool?

Blog Entries

White
    2007 Firebird Trans AM WS

Talking Its in

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I am going to ask the obvious question as it is the first thing that comes to mind - is the disc centered with the pilot bearing? If yes, and you're sure, I would suggest drawing the transmission in with bolts. A lot of people do it that way.

I am assuming you are using an alignment tool?
    Yes, and yes. We got it in on Saturday (18 degrees and yes we were outside). As usual you don't see it go in, you just notice the gap between the tranny case and the bell housing is now less than one inch. When we were at 1/2 inch, we used bolts then tested the fit by turning the engine by hand and feeling the output shaft of the tranny (we had it in 1st gear to allow us to turn the shaft to align the spline. Yes, we were sure that the clutch was centered (used a plastic spline tool).

NOTE TO GM: Why can you not make the pilot shaft tapered to a complete cone to facilitate the entry into the pilot bearing? A little chamfer doesn't get it.
    A cone would.

Thread Information