maple red metalic
    2000 TRANS AM WS6

ws6 2000 - rotors

hi guys,

need some opinions,.. im really frustrated with the brakes or should i say rotors on my 2000 ws6, this is 2nd time ive warped em, but how i dont know,
    yes i have a bit of lead foot, but no, i have not been running hard lately, nor have i driven through any high water, with hot breaks ect,.. but the rotors are apparently warped again, 2nd time in about 8 months,.. WHY?????>??
    HELP!!!!... please suggest some really good rotors and advise which is better regular or slotted.
    thanks
    trixysrace

Pewter Metallic
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

Im planning on buying a set of cross drilled and slotted rotors for my trans am off ebay. Ill let you know how that gos

NBM
    99 TA

did you change pads when you changed the rotors each time?

sometimes re using old pads when installing new rotors can give you problems (vibrations, noise etc).

Might want to try replacing the pads and machining the rotors.

Also possible you got a bad set of rotors, i have eradispeed rotors with hawk pads, and they've had a slight vibration since day 1... not sure what the problem is but its not bad enough for me to care too much.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

putting to much torque on the lugnuts when putting the wheels on will cause rotors to warp.
    I bought the ebay slotted and drilled rotors during the summer from R1 Concepts. Pretty happy with them so far but only 1 trip to the track and ~500 miles on them if that.

Black
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

You know I've read on another forum that it is not uncommon for these cars to warp rotors. Not sure what it is exactly but apparently a lot of people experience this. As far as rotors, Brembo blanks seem to be a popular choice and not too expensive. If you want to save a little more money the Duralast Gold rotors from Autozone also seem to be good rotors, plus they come with a lifetime warranty.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

the vettes are also notorious for warping rotors.

black
    2000 ws.6 m6

ive had great luck with power stop rotors from summit racing they are cross drilled only and have a gold zinc protection from oxidizing iv gone to 100 mph and stood on them numerous times and never warped highly recommended they are 120 pair,use with good pads also makes a differnce and please dont use old pads,good luck

black
    2000 ws.6 m6

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...7C0&rsview=sku im sorry 120 a piece,but are worth it,use ceramic pads.

black trans am

i have power slot all round and hawk hps pads.. i beat the crap out off them and ther fine.. i have a set of chepey d&s roters on my v6 firefird .. junk i worped them in about 15 weeks.. in this case you get what you pay 4.. the chepper brans my look the same and work the same at first but ther not made out of the same harden steal and they my be weeker then a stock roter thats what i have been told and seen

maple red metalic
    2000 TRANS AM WS6

Cool thanks for the rotors advise

hey thanks for the advise guys, and to the guy who asked if the pads were changed when the rotors were replaced, yes they were, whats worse, is now that i cruise a highway into work, at speeds of 70 & up, if i just as much as tap the damn brakes, my steering is vibrating or should i say shaking , but its only when i touch the brakes,.. grrrrrr.. very frustrated.

black
    2000 ws.6 m6

Quote Originally Posted by trixysrace11 View Post
    hey thanks for the advise guys, and to the guy who asked if the pads were changed when the rotors were replaced, yes they were, whats worse, is now that i cruise a highway into work, at speeds of 70 & up, if i just as much as tap the damn brakes, my steering is vibrating or should i say shaking , but its only when i touch the brakes,.. grrrrrr.. very frustrated.
    a stuck piston in the caliper can cause that too.

black
    2000 ws.6 m6

as much as i value my ta i wudnt put cheap pads and rotors on my car ever again,as they say you get what you pay for. best to go for better it will save you money and headaches.

Black
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by trixysrace11 View Post
    I know how your feel. I used to have the same problem except I experienced vibration between 60 and 80 mph. At low speed or above 80 it seemed fine. From all the reading I had done I believed I had warped rotors. I took it to the shop and had the pads replaced, they were worn almost all the way down, and had the rotors turned. The guy assured me they weren't warped. Now all is back to normal.

Thread Information