Thread: Winter driving?

Pewter
    2001 TA WS6 M6

Winter driving?

Hi All,

I am looking at getting back into a WS6 (LS1 model), I had a LT1 WS6 I sold about 4 years ago. The difference would be this would be my daily driver and I am concerned about winter driving. I live on the OH/MI boarder and they use salt here.

So for those that have a similar climate and drive em....

-How has the nose held up? Minimal chips, lots, and damage to the lower part of the nose from "plowing" through drifts?
    -How about behind the wheels and ground effects, same question
    -How deep of snow have you made it through, if you got stuck how deep was that?

83 Z28 new project
    98 Formula WS7-sold:(

I had a formula and had little trouble. I put on it some blizzaks for tires and I could go through 10" without too much hassle. The best thing is to take your time of course. As far as damage, it was starting to rust a bit underneath, but to other damage to speak of related to weather.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Ive got all kinds of chips and scratches due to last winters storm from hell. I AM NOT driving my TA again this winter. No matter how much snow or ice I had to go 15-25mph. No TCS tho. At idle in drive I could get out and walk around the car, It would set and spin all day.

Pewter
    2001 NHRA Trans Am

I am going to have to drive mine in Chicago to and from college... I have TCS but still am worried about getting stuck. This winter i saw a mustang on a hill RWD tires spinning and went back down the hill sideways. I giggled.

2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
    Black 2002 Trans Am WS6

Get yourself a 4x4 beater for the snow!!
    Black 02 Trans Am WS6 M6 SLP Lid, Bassani Stainless Headers & Y-Pipe w/o Cats, Borla Exhaust, BMR-STB, LCAs & Reloc. Brackets, Panhard Bar, & SFCs, Eibach Pro-kit With Bilsteins, BF Goodrich G Force KDWs, Optima Yellow Top, 5% Tint, Blackouts, Clear Side Lights, H-7 Headlights much more to come!

Black
    00 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 2002 WS6 KILLS View Post
    Get yourself a 4x4 beater for the snow!!
    I bought a 96 Tahoe so my WS6 is in the the garage all winter.

Pewter
    2001 TA WS6 M6

I have a nice 4x4 now, but that would be replaced with the WS6, which is the reason for my question. I already have my toys that sit in the winter. I tried a beater once, did not like driving a POS.

U-R-Sofa-King-Retarded SINISTER-TA's Avatar

NBM
    2002 Trans Am

I don't think I would ever drive my TA through the snow. I tried that when I had my Camaro and it wasn't pretty. Now-a-days the TA sits in the garage all winter and only comes out when it's warm and sunny out.

black
    2000 ws6 convertible

drove my ws6 convertible every winter up till this year, can be a pain in the ass but with a little counterweight and decent tires their not too bad. Paint and plastic has held up really well, but the engine com partment gets real dirty from salt and sand takes a good washing after winter

Pewter
    2001 TA WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by jprice View Post
    drove my ws6 convertible every winter up till this year, can be a pain in the ass but with a little counterweight and decent tires their not too bad. Paint and plastic has held up really well, but the engine com partment gets real dirty from salt and sand takes a good washing after winter
    Hey, Toledo!! Guess we have the same weather

Mystic Teal/Chameleon grn
    1998 TA

I drive mine daily and I'm in colorado. They handle ok for what they are. If its just ice or packed snow you'll be fine. May take a bit to get going but very rarely will you get stuck in packed snow. But when its thick, powdery, forget it. Its hard for me to finish backing out of the driveway with that kind of snow.
    As for washing it, you'll be tempted to wash it everyday.

black
    2000 ws6 convertible

yep this was my first winter in toledo kinda rough but made it through

Navy Blue Metallic
    1998 T/A A4

My T/A is my daily driver. Idaho winters are nothing compared to your I'm assuming. It'd be easier if I could start out in 2nd. I still dont really recommend it though. On the worse days, I'd be sitting at a stop light in traffic and when it would come time to go, the car would slide towards the curb (followed the slope of the road) until it hit the sand and finally started going forward. Next winter I'm either getting a beater or I'm getting the tires siped. Z-rated tires in the snow FTL.

Pewter
    2001 TA WS6 M6

Well it is about what I figured. I was guessing anything over the 4-6" forecast I would be screwed, but anything at that level or less will just take time and would need to stick to the main roads that are generally just slushy within a couple hours of the snow fall. Generally speaking we would only get over 6" a couple times a year, although last year was a little worse. Also had years where we get very little.

I am getting one of two cars, 2002 silver 6 speed, pending an accepted offer, if that does not go through a 2002 CE 6 speed. The CE has traction control which may help a little. I would have went with the CE first but I am having a hard time accepting the yellow, guess it would grow on me. One of the two will be in my driveway Saturday night.

Anyone looking for a clean 05 4x4 reg cab Ram?

Navy Blue Metallic
    1998 T/A A4

Yeah, the CE would be my personal choice. Wouldnt drive it in the snow though. An M6 would seem to be much easier to drive in the snow with since there's the ability to start off in a higher gear. I always turn the traction control off in the winter. The little kick in the pedal gets annoying to me. I do just as good with proper throttle control.

Arctic White
    2000 Trans Am & 2000 C5

Cars that see salting will rust quickly underneath. Driving is usually fun in the white stuff, but the heavy salt does a job on everything. When snow falls the battle is getting to a road, and then starts and stops (keep it movin). But even if the road isn't plowed, there's usually ruts from previous drivers. It adds excitement when you can feel snow contacting your floorboard at 45-55 mph, but will surely trash the car in a few years of salt blasting.

white
    1998 WS6 M6

i'd say def. dont drive it in the winter, get youself a cheap dd for the winter time then just sell it after the season is over. Im in Chicago and if your in the MI/OH border you prob.get a lot of snow.
    -Half Throttle Racing-

Thread Information