Thread: Window Tint

Mystic Teal
    1998 Firebird

Question Window Tint

I now have a new respect for people that do car window tinting. The whole thing started cause I needed to get a new window tint for my firebird cause it was starting to bubble and peel off. So I went to this shop, the people there were really nice and we talked a while about the best window tint for my car. While we were talking the guy said I could save a good amount of money by taking the old window tint off by myself. Of course, being my cheap self, I couldn't pass the opportunity to save money, so I got my razor blade and started going to work. The drivers side came off really easy all in one piece, and I thought to myself that it wasn't going to take me long. So I moved to the front windshield and started peeling that off. It didn't come off so easily, It took forever, one little piece at a time. The passenger side and the hatch glass were the same way. All in all, the whole thing took me about 4 hours. Even though I did save some money, I also got a wonderful Florida sunburn and an aching back. Maybe I should've just payed the money to get the guy to take it off for me. But I do like to be called a do it yourself kind of guy.

Anyway, I do have a question. What percentage of window tint do yall think I should get? I have a teal Firebird, more on the green side, and the previous owner had a kind of dark blue tint on the windows. I was thinking about going with black, 20% on the side windows, limo tint on the back glass, while leaving the front factory tinted. What do yall think?
    1998 Firebird, 17" chrome ZR1 rims, 275s front and back, magnaflow exhaust, LED green accents on exterior, blue neon accents in interior, new Sony sound system; replaced all stock speakers, two 12s, two tweeters, Xplod 1600 watt amp, and Xplod radio head unit

blue
    1999 trans am

are there any window tinting laws in fl?

Awaiting Activation

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6 D1SC

I have 20% and I'm pretty happy with it. Not too dark during the day but really dark at night. I might have gone with 20% on the sides and 5% on the back though.

Navy Blue Metallic
    1998 Trans Am

18% all around here. You have me beat btw, my rear hatch took about 5hrs to remove...

Mystic Teal
    1998 Firebird

I just looked up the laws in Florida for window tinting, and the legal window for the front is 28% while the rear hatch is 15%. That is just way too light for me. I think 20% on the sides and 5% on the back sounds like a good idea. So I'm going about 10% down on each window. Hopefully none of the cops will notice that.

white
    1998 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by fccs View Post
    18% all around here. You have me beat btw, my rear hatch took about 5hrs to remove...
    i believe fl 15 .... well i have to remove all of my tint from the sides when i came to germany because here illegal!!!! i can only have back window. '
    now i got use to it and i am happy with it because now people can see me while i am driving the car

Mystic Teal
    1998 Firebird

Plus, I don't want people to be able to see me. I want them to just automatically know who is driving that sweet Firebird.

NBM
    99 TA

I went 5% all around...the car had 20% when I got it, and it was just too easy to see thru for me.

Thread Information