White
    2002 Pontiac Trans-Am

White smoke - tailpipes

I've searched the forum and didn't find find anything - so if this has been addressed before I apologized. I have an 02 TA/WS6 with 72k. I checked the oil and it was about 1/2 qt low - its been right at 3000 miles since the oil was changed so I don't guess thats too bad. I cranked the car and noticed white smoke. Not a thick smoke that filled the garage but the entire time it was running it was smoking. I also noticed a strong gasoline/exhaust smell that I've never noticed before - almost like it smells when you get behind an old car in the drive through. Over the past few months the "Service Engine Soon" light has come on. I had it checked and the guy said it was an emissions error and he cleared it. He said that if it came back on to come back and they would investigate further. About a week ago it came back on but once I turned the engine off it has stayed off since. The car seems to be running fine - idles smooth - no hesitation, etc.

Has anyone else experienced this? I'd like to correct the problem before it turns into anything else. Maybe I'm over analyzing it. Before I take it in wanted to get some input from anyone that might have dealt with this before as I'm not mechanically inclined and don't want to be taken advantage of.

Thanks for any input.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by bhamTA View Post
    I've searched the forum and didn't find find anything - so if this has been addressed before I apologized. I have an 02 TA/WS6 with 72k. I checked the oil and it was about 1/2 qt low - its been right at 3000 miles since the oil was changed so I don't guess thats too bad. I cranked the car and noticed white smoke. Not a thick smoke that filled the garage but the entire time it was running it was smoking. I also noticed a strong gasoline/exhaust smell that I've never noticed before - almost like it smells when you get behind an old car in the drive through. Over the past few months the "Service Engine Soon" light has come on. I had it checked and the guy said it was an emissions error and he cleared it. He said that if it came back on to come back and they would investigate further. About a week ago it came back on but once I turned the engine off it has stayed off since. The car seems to be running fine - idles smooth - no hesitation, etc.

Has anyone else experienced this? I'd like to correct the problem before it turns into anything else. Maybe I'm over analyzing it. Before I take it in wanted to get some input from anyone that might have dealt with this before as I'm not mechanically inclined and don't want to be taken advantage of.

Thanks for any input.
    Not to be a D&ck but of course you smelled heavy fimes from the engine you started it in your garage.lol This can be harmfull even deadly to you and others.. To the other..
    Sounds like just condensation smoke to me, and you're prolly starting to through a rear o2 code for malfunctioning cats.. imho
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

I agree with Smittro on the code: rear O2 sensor, either because of the cat (if you have them at all) or incorrect heat cycling (not enough or too much). The fronts contraol the A/F ratio while the rears measure cat efficency.

White smoke or steam????

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    I agree with Smittro on the code: rear O2 sensor, either because of the cat (if you have them at all) or incorrect heat cycling (not enough or too much). The fronts contraol the A/F ratio while the rears measure cat efficency.

White smoke or steam????
    This:

....and to add if it's coolant you will smell it too. Also coolant smoke is usually thick "fog" like smoke. Which (if it is a head gasket) over time usually causes a high idle condition and even more "fogging" out back. Which, could cause your garage even with the main door open to fill with fog faster than you can say "OH SCHTUFF!"
    Last edited by Smittro; 03-10-2010 at 12:00 PM.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Seems it's your first post on the site, Welcome.

When's the last time you've had it serviced?

Is it stock? list any mods to the car.

I'm agreeing with Smittro, if it's smoke one of your O2's is going out. If it's fog - ouch - Head gasket leak.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

My car pukes a nice bright white cloud of smok every time I start it. I have attributed it to a shoddy valve seal letting oil drip onto a piston and at the intial crank that oil burns up. This has lead to me eating oil left and right. This engine was a replacement that had been sitting in a warehous w/out any oil in it for god knows howlong...so that's why my seal(s) dried up.

That might be your case....have you left your car sitting, un started for a LONNNNNG time? like months long?

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    My car pukes a nice bright white cloud of smok every time I start it. I have attributed it to a shoddy valve seal letting oil drip onto a piston and at the intial crank that oil burns up. This has lead to me eating oil left and right. This engine was a replacement that had been sitting in a warehous w/out any oil in it for god knows howlong...so that's why my seal(s) dried up.

That might be your case....have you left your car sitting, un started for a LONNNNNG time? like months long?
    Oil smoke is usually blueish in color and smells like oil. Valve seals can go bad in any motor. The oil heads for the pan as soon as it's shut down. As gasoline builds up in the oil over time it robs the rubber seals of their natural oil contained in all rubber. As this happens they get hard and are no longer able to hold back engine oil..

Red, Black
    98 T/A M6, 79 T/A 6.6L

find out exactly what code you pulled. rear 02 sensors aren't the only common codes people throw. i throw and egr(p something) and air pump code(p1415) once in awhile. although now my p1415 keeps reoccurring. but that just means it's finally time to order those headers and a tune!. and get rid of my skipshift as well.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Quote Originally Posted by goof4080 View Post
    find out exactly what code you pulled. rear 02 sensors aren't the only common codes people throw. i throw and egr(p something) and air pump code(p1415) once in awhile. although now my p1415 keeps reoccurring. but that just means it's finally time to order those headers and a tune!. and get rid of my skipshift as well.
    FYI: 01 and 02 cars do not have EGR. OP has an 02.

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

welcome,nice to see another bama resident in here. could be a catalytic converter going out,get you some long tube headers and cat-free y-pipe and let the guys over at speedsouth (in pelham) tune it. no more emissions crap to worry about!

Red, Black
    98 T/A M6, 79 T/A 6.6L

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    FYI: 01 and 02 cars do not have EGR. OP has an 02.
    i know this, but failed to determine all variables before offering a reply.

Thread Information