Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

NBM
    02 WS6 A4 / 98 TA 408 M6

Post Where should a 16 year old start...

Hey everyone, I just got my TA a month ago, its an a4, ws6 with 30k miles.

Ok so I have a job of course but its my first job, Im only making 8.50 an hour and I get maybe 220 a week until school starts then about 170, all after taxes.

So my budget isn't very good, but I can afford my car + some, the car is in my moms name to reduce the insurance, I have her car in my name so Im only paying 150 for her car, plus gas and car payment 250.

Anyways, it's completely stock right now and of course I got bit by the HP bug, long before I had the car.

Where you do think I should start to get HP gains, my cousin has a turbo camaro and I want a turbo so bad but after labor and the kit its expensive for me.

I already have Magnaflow catback + TSP ORY + Pacesetter LTs coming in, but then Im thinking LID and some other stuff, what do you all think, besides me not getting anything at all :P

BLUE
    02 TRANS AM

Go with the lid. Also take a coke can and wedge it under your gas pedal. That much power WILL get away from you. Just do not try to be a HOT SHOT and wreck a wonderful car. It sounds like you have just about enough for now. Save your money and build after school. Good Luck

Black
    00 Trans Am/Auto

Yes, I would say that you are a little too young to have that much power. The car itself already produces more than you can handle at your age.

Just get used to the car the way it is for now and look after her. In time, you will build driving experience and be able to step it up a notch after you've learned all the what nots of the Trans Am.

Go for appearance first and maybe a clear MTI lid and K & N filter set up.

Good luck with whatever you decide,

Guns

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

200 shot ? ?

Black
    2001 Trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    200 shot ? ?

For the time being I would steer clear of the bottle until he gets used to the power he already has

BLUE
    02 TRANS AM

200 shot ? ?

Your going to kill the boy!!

NBM
    02 WS6 A4 / 98 TA 408 M6

I've already had the car sideways, and I've done dumb stuff in the rain already, all to get used to my car lol.

I'd prefer not using nitrous, especially that big of a shot on a stock bock, thats a lot of money to repair

Besides, isn't even a 100 shot bad unless your motor is built?

White
    1999 Transam WS6

200 shot ? ?

But yea... at 16 I really don't think you should be modding this car to be any more powerful than stock. RWD, high power, and the body of these cars isn't small allowing more chassis to contact on unwanted objects.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

I was kidding...

Buy a good cat back, and nice set of LT and maybe a lid. Then for christ sake... save some money. Maybe put the mod money towards paying the car itself off?? Nothing like having your TA paid for.

blue green chameleon
    1998 Trans Am

+1 on pay the car off, save some money in case off an emergency (fender damage, driver error, ect....) you should just do the exhaust like you said, the car will sound better and you will get some decent hp/trq out of it.

Silver
    2003 GTI 1.8T :(

Quote Originally Posted by Zaccagnini View Post
    I've already had the car sideways, and I've done dumb stuff in the rain already, all to get used to my car lol.

I'd prefer not using nitrous, especially that big of a shot on a stock bock, thats a lot of money to repair

these blocks can handle a 200 shot easy... 150 shot is the usual add on for a stock car that can run that safely all day long...
    but i would steer clear of nitro... i would say shift kit, stall, better gears... and stickier tires.. and of course the lid... call it a day at that for awhile.. its a lethal combo on that car

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by Zaccagnini View Post

1. Dont play in the rain
    2. Dont play in curves
    3. If you gotta speed/race make it short and sweet on interstates

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

^^^ yep, playing around the corners is a sure fire way of killing your car, and maybe yourself. I still dont really hit it in the turns, just when Im coming out of it.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedAddict38 View Post
    1. Dont play in the rain
    2. Dont play in curves
    3. If you gotta speed/race make it short and sweet on interstates
    Yup...although I'm not sure about interstate racing either. Just keep it under 100....that top speed weaving in and out of traffic crap is for ricers, let them get killed acting dumb, not you.

I'd say leave the racing to the track. You know how fast your car is, no need to prove it to every idiot who tries to challenge you. Get caught street racing at your age, any age actually, and you're in big trouble. You'll be on foot patrol for quite a while.

And watch out showing off to friends....my brother did that in his GTA, he did a burnout pulling out of the driveway when leaving work, the car fishtailed back and forth, he let off the gas, and the car snapped back and slid ass first into a curb. He hit so hard he bent every rear suspension link, the axle flange, and the unibody. There was a big crease in the floor pan, and dents in both quarters over the wheels. Axle was shifted over about 4" to the passenger side. Needless to say, that car never drove again.

Oh, and congrats on the car, that's a pretty badass ride for the school parking lot. I'd skip any heavy modding right now, at 8.50 an hour, you'll have a hard enough time keeping gas in it, I'm sure your insurance is sky high. Besides, you'll need money for all the chicks that you're going to pull with that car.
    Last edited by StuntmanMike; 07-21-2008 at 07:27 PM.

Black
    00 Trans Am/Auto

^^^ yep, playing around the corners is a sure fire way of killing your car, and maybe yourself. I still dont really hit it in the turns, just when Im coming out of it.

I joined an auto cross club just to get used to how my 4th gen handles on tight corners and to get used to its' limitations. Still learning it though. The 4th gen is surprisingly agile on ricer courses. Did an 80 second course in just over 62 seconds.

pewter
    2002 firehawk

you lucky sob I drove a 96 dodge dynasty when I was 16....just do us a favor and post up your parts for sell when you wreck that Fu@#er.....

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

When I was 16 "the curves" was my thing. I was really good. I pulled off some stuff that you wouldnt believe my stories. Many times I took 25-45 curves running 80+ with the car sideways. BUT..............one time to many playing in light rain around a 25 mph curve and crashed. It cost me alot. Worst thing my friend broke his jaw. I didnt have license (suspended) or insurance. It destoyed my 1979 Z28. No insurance meant I paid $4500 on a car that was no longer. I lost my license for an addtional year. A night in jail and a $300 fine. Very lucky somebody didnt get killed.

Black
    00 WS6

If you are turning your car sideways already you need to get another car.....

Larry Dingleberry Racing

Black
    1998 Trans Am

once you get those headers put on you'll be suprised how much it will wake up just ease into in to it and i would say a lid and stall if you really wanna get some more power like they say though dont drive stupid and you'll be ok

NBM
    02 WS6 A4 / 98 TA 408 M6

Quote Originally Posted by qwk93ta View Post
    If you are turning your car sideways already you need to get another car.....
    If you're thinking I meant literally sideways like flipped over, than that is stupid lol.

And all I want is some raw heat, right now it just feels slow.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information