Sunset Orange Metallic
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Where do I start?

[IMG][/IMG]I got my T/A about 6 months ago and I'm thinking its time to start making some mods. I want to add some performance, but I'm not sure what I should start off with. I was thinking exhaust?

Thoughts?

01 T/A WS6
    Last edited by Stephenk29; 12-16-2008 at 11:40 PM.

Black
    2002 Trans Am

yeah but if you go with exhaust get it done up nice and all the way through with some longtubes +/- high flow cats with matching Y pipe and a catback exhaust well the combination or the parts doesnt matter just as long as you change it all not just the catback cause you will probably want to change into that stuff later but do it early

Spiral Gray
    2004 Auto Corvette

Lid

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Do a lid and a good exhaust catback like Magnaflow.

Next would be headers and y-pipe.

Which direction do you want to go with the car... ?

Street, Strip/Street , or eventually full on strip car?

Desert Boat Guy SouthernBornThriller's Avatar

Black 2002 T/A M6
    Green 1997 Ram 4x4

My personal preferred order. (because I drive my car)

Breathing mods - Lid, headers, exhaust, intake/throttle body (although you can skip this step, unless you want every single pony possible regardless of coin, since it's an 01..the LS6 intake is fine...still could port the throttle body though if you want) - These will net you a noticable jump in both power and mpg.

Suspension mods - Subframe connectors and either a 9" or 12-bolt rear at minimum. Though there's MUCH more you can do (check out the sponsor on here, stranoparts.com, for his packages for our cars. They're what I plan on ordering as soon as the wallet allows) Rear end is the biggest must if you intend to ever push the gas pedal all the way down. People break the plain 10-bolts all day long with stock power. Could probably throw in getting some good slicks at this point too once you get that rear replaced.

Appearance mods (optional) - Wheels, badges, decals, paint job, engine dress up, etc. About the last "small(ish)" expense area you'll get.

Uber power mods - Heads + cam, supercharger/turbo, Nitrous, whichever route you want. Also at this point you'll want a forged bottom end, rebuilt and bulletproofed tranny, stronger clutch (or stall if you're an auto), and other things that someone who knows more than me will be glad to help you with.

That by no means is set in stone, but is just the general order I laid out for my car. It all depends on the size of your wallet and if you want to be able to drive it daily, take it out on weekends and be a competitor at the track, or be a full on wheel-popping trailor and track queen.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Yeah the kicker is that is also my daily driver for the most part. Unless there's snow on the ground this is what I have. So I'm looking to give it some kick but also keep it relatively decent on the street. I doubt it will ever see the full strip.

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

just start out with a cat-back and a lid

Blue
    2000 Z28

2000 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Stephenk29 View Post
    Click for full size[/thumb]I got my T/A about 6 months ago and I'm thinking its time to start making some mods. I want to add some performance, but I'm not sure what I should start off with. I was thinking exhaust?

Thoughts?

01 T/A WS6
    I have a wrecked 2000 camaro with 383 ls1 that made 442 rwhp, 445rwtq on Mustang dyno, just completed first oil change before I wrecked it. Callies crank and rods, Mahle pistons, 11:1 compression pump gas friendly no lope but gobs of power, Kooks long tube headers, stainless steel with Jet Hot coating, off road y pipe, MSD coil packs, 42 lb injectors. Mcleod adj. clutch master cylinder with drill mod done to stock line, new GM slave cylinder. Spec Stage 3 clutch and aluminum flywheel. Moser Ford 9" with aluminum center section with Detroit Trutrac, 3.50 gears, 31 spline axles. UMI frame connectors, adj. LCA's and panhard rod, edelbrock torque arm. Perfect upgrade for your car. I'm not going to fix car, wife said sell it all and start over with something new, maybe 2010 camaro or corvette. $15,000 invested asking $9,000 for whole car less rims. Have receipts and dyno sheet if your interested. Call Bryant at 856-340-6023, or email at bigdaddy001@comcast.net for info. Beautiful car you have by the way, make it fast too.
    Last edited by bigdaddy001; 12-17-2008 at 02:29 PM.

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Not meaning to jack your thread...I'm also looking for some performance upgrades soon, but I am afraid I'm quite ignorant when it comes to that. Can someone go into some detail about some of the terminology here?

Cams
    Headers
    Intake Manifold
    Y-pipe, X-pipe, Straight
    True duals
    Catback exhaust

White
    1998 Trans Am

Mods

I would do some header's and y pipe with a good catback.
    If you got the money kooks makes great headers.
    I went with QTP since they look great, built well, and were a lot less money.
    Far as cat back.
    magnaflow makes a nice dual tip setup.
    Corsa also makes a nice exhaust.
    I know people with bith.
    I went with the slp power-flo.
    the LM2 muffler with the 2 glasspacks sounds good without being too loud or raspy, since I have no cats to quite it down.
    Also some cheap extra power woule be a set of ASP pulleys.
    Follow up the mods with a good dyno tune to make sure your air/fuel ratio is set right and squeeze some extra power out.

Blue
    2000 Z28

wrecked camaro

Quote Originally Posted by onetroubledguy View Post
    Not meaning to jack your thread...I'm also looking for some performance upgrades soon, but I am afraid I'm quite ignorant when it comes to that. Can someone go into some detail about some of the terminology here?

Cams
    Headers
    Intake Manifold
    Y-pipe, X-pipe, Straight
    True duals
    Catback exhaust
    All you need is in the post from bigdaddy001, complete set up for f body that made 442 rwhp, 445 rwtq with no lope and ran 117 mph in quarter mile pass with horrible 60 ft time. I've done all the homework, you reap all the benefits of my mishap.

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddy001 View Post
    All you need is in the post from bigdaddy001, complete set up for f body that made 442 rwhp, 445 rwtq with no lope and ran 117 mph in quarter mile pass with horrible 60 ft time. I've done all the homework, you reap all the benefits of my mishap.
    Yeah...I've done some research since I made that post and feel I have a pretty good handle on most of it now, but thanks.

My personal preferred order. (because I drive my car)
    ^^ ^^
    I think thats what most of us do w/ our cars, I mean they're not made washing dishes in or anything.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

shocks, then exhaust. Should be about $1000-1300 there.

Thread Information