SOM
    1998 Z28-408 l92 stroker

whats the difference?

i been wondering for the longest time whats the difference between a ws6 trans am and a firehawk. i know the ws6 is just a suspension package, but whats so special about a firehawk?

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Formula hardtop

WS6s were originally outsourced to SLP and later outsourced to ASC for conversion. Firehawks are made by SLP. Both cars could either be ordered as a Trans Am or Formula model.

WS6 cars have a larger exhaust (2.75" vs 2.5"), a ram-air hood, a taller airbox, 17" wheels, 275 tires instead of 245, a larger front swaybar, and different shocks. This is to my knowledge, could be slightly wrong.

Firehawks could be ordered (some years) with different options, such as embroidered floormats, a low-restriction air intake, a low-restriction exhaust, upping the advertised horsepower up to 345. Also you could order them with different shocks. Some years, the power rating was 327, others it was 335, etc. They came with different 17" wheels than the WS6 (a similar design, but with thinner and more rounded spokes), 275 tires, and a ram-air hood with heat extractors (again, different design than the WS6, somewhat less agressive looking). They also came with a stiffer suspension than the regular Formulas and Trans Ams.

SOM
    1998 Z28-408 l92 stroker

so the ws6 is the better one i take it?

You get a fancy hood, emblems, floor mats, etc., etc., etc., with the Firehawk. Mainly just cosmetic changes. Other than that, they're basically the same car.

SOM
    1998 Z28-408 l92 stroker

so the firhawk is just looks and its basicly the stock trans am performance wise. ok thanks man i just wanted to clear things up.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Formula hardtop

Quote Originally Posted by Qwk94Z28
    so the firhawk is just looks and its basicly the stock trans am performance wise. ok thanks man i just wanted to clear things up.
    Well not exactly. If you're talking about advertised horsepower, the Firehawk was always higher than the regular Trans Am and the WS6 cars. But as everyone knows, the advertised horsepower for LS1 f-bodies is somewhat off .
    If you're gonna buy a Trans Am, add a lid and exhaust to it, and some wider wheels & tires, you're basically at the same performance level as the Firehawk or WS6 anyway. In my opinion, if you're gonna end up modding the car (even mildly), then the only reason to get a WS6 or a Firehawk is if you really like the styling of it (hood, emblems, wheels, etc). Other than that, the performance difference isn't really enough to justify paying more money for.

SOM
    1998 Z28-408 l92 stroker

ok now i think i understand. since i am kinda new to my f-body when people talk about lids what are they refering to?

Lids are the airbox on the front of the car.

1966 Corvette Coupe

doesnt a ws6 have a center force clutch in it... that is better than what comes in a normal T/A?

I have a Centerforce Dual Friction clutch in my stang. It's a nice clutch, but I don't think WS6 got a different clutch.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Formula hardtop

Quote Originally Posted by predator
    doesnt a ws6 have a center force clutch in it... that is better than what comes in a normal T/A?
    No. The only available option for anything engine/transmission related was a Hurst shifter for the 6-speed manual transmission. That could be had on any V8 manual car, not just WS6s. All clutches & everything else were the same (except I believe 01-02 cars got a better master cylinder than the 00 and earlier models, but that was standard on all manual trans cars).

1966 Corvette Coupe

my bad... we'll just say ive been miss informed

Black
    97 Formula

You could also order the optional SLP suspension packages from SLP on the Firehawk. Level 1 had re-valved Bilstein shocks and Eibach springs. Level 2 came with single-adjustable Koni shocks. Level 3 came with double-adjustable Koni shocks. In 01 and 02, you could order an optional Firehawk only rear spoiler. They also had different designed wheels from the WS6, thinner spokes.

Thread Information