Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Awaiting Activation

What would you get Auto or Stick?

Ok so I found 2 very nice cars for around the same price and I would like to know for which would you go for.

1 is a 99 black/black ws6 with 52k auto. Car looks in good condition with headers and cat-back. price is 12k. I have test drove this car and it drives nice, the only thing I found wrong was bad 02s and small craked door panel.

2) is a white 00 with blue racing stripes/checker flag. It has ws6 hood, but not sure if its true ws6. It is a 6-speed with very nice black interior with 55k. Looks stock according to the pics the guy sent me. He offer to sell it for 12k. I have not seen this car in person yet.

Now this car will be my DD and I do live in the burbs of Chicago. I also dont have much experience with manual and yes it will see snow. So in this case what is your opinion on what would be better?

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

It really all depends on your driving habits.

I've driven manual all my life because, lets face it... they are more fun!

But, I chose the A4 this time around because of the fact that CA traffic sucks! I may just be getting old, and there are those moments that I wish I would have chosen the M6. But, over all I think I made the right choice.

Plus, I have my little Alfa if I want to have some fun in the canyons

It can be a tough choice. Just weigh out your daily driving habits and choose accordingly.

There is NOTHING wrong with an A4!!!!

Black
    2000 Trans am ls1

i would go with six speed if it was me i have a trans am six speed and i have drove it in snow. not easy to take off but easier to keep from spinning out if you find a slick spot.

Black
    2000 Trans am ls1

i agree with reef^^^^ nothing wrong with a a4......but m6 way way fun.!

Monterey Maroon Metalic
    2000 Z28

Some stick guys will chime in but I drive my A4 all year 'round. It handles snow and ice well in 2nd gear. This keeps the car from spinning in 1st on ice. I think that '00 was the first year that the car will be locked in 2nd gear whereas '98 and '99 would start in 1st and shift into 2nd when 2nd is selected.

Aside from weather, it all depends on how much clutch action you are willing to put up with. There are times I wish I had an M6 and others I am happy I went with the A4. Nobody can answer this question for you but I would go with the auto in your situation.

T/A 2001
    I wanted a stick the whole time I was looking for a trans am but when i came across my car it was such a good deal i could not refuse. Anyways regardless if it is a manual or auto f bodys are fun as hell to drive.

Awaiting Activation
    Well i do live 10 minutes from both my jobs. And unless I go back to school I wont see highway that much except on some weekends. Is it easy to learn to drive stick on these cars? I have driven stick before, but never owned one so I am not used to them. Also when you guys say its so much for fun with a 6 speed, how is it more fun? Again not to much experience lol.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

My opinion may not apply to you but I will only accept a M6 firebird for the simple reason that i already have an A4 in my Mark VIII. should I not be in the mood to row my own gears I can take the Lincoln out and relax. Of course the definition of "relax" might be rowing the gears as well. At least I'll have a choice

RED
    02 SS, 03 BMW 745

if you plan on drag racing a lot you would want to get an A4, if daily driver maybe M6. I luv my m6 but at times like said above, Ca traffic sucks, I wish I had a A4 but wouldn't trade my M6 at all! I luv

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Traffic is not fun to drive in especially if your knee stiffens up easily like mine does. But I will always drive a manual. I tried driving an auto between this car and the cavalier i used to have and did not enjoy it all. But it all comes down to preference. And yes the clutches are easy to learn on these cars, it is just as easy as my old 03 cavaliers was.

red
    2002 z/28

it takes me 45 min to make the 10.2 mile trip to work every morning a4

Black
    1978, 1996, 2002 Trans Am

I have both an A4 T/A and an M6 T/A. My choice, A4 for the dd and M6 for the fun car. I would especially go this way if I were in an urban area with lots of stop and go traffic and where the weather might not be all that great in the winter.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

M6 FTW. I wouldnt trade it for anything. Love rowing threw the gears.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

for all the guys who go on and on how the 6 speed is more fun, drive a stalled A4.
    you not going to miss a gear hit, the rev limiter and so on.
    the added bonus of the a4 is that when stalled, youll ass rape a M6 car.
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

I will never claim a M6 is faster/more driver error friendly than a stalled auto.

An M6 is just fun. Thats it.

midnight Blue
    '99 Trans Am ws7

Personally I own both...my blue T/a is an A4 and my 30th car is an M6....my A4 will smoke the shit out of alot of m6's ...not being cocky its just the truth, you have to know how to drive both...but personally...I love the A4. I dont do alot of daily driving in ether car, but i dont live in a huge city and still hate to drive the M6 in traffic.

And on the other hand...you could throw a stall in an A4 and have a hell of a street car

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Winter is no problem for the M6. I like manuals in the slippery stuff for the extra control. If you want a daily driver I say go for the manual and auto if you want a drag car. The manual is more fun that a stalled auto too.

NBM
    02 M6 Formula

i had the same dilemma and went for the m6 because i've always had manual t's and love em. That being said i only drive 15-20 minutes to work. If its your DD and you drive in alot of stop-n-go traffic it could be a huge pain in the ass. SO IMO m6 more fun to drive. Either way its a win/win situation

Awaiting Activation

black
    2002 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by freddy_caprice View Post
    Ok so I found 2 very nice cars for around the same price and I would like to know for which would you go for.

1 is a 99 black/black ws6 with 52k auto. Car looks in good condition with headers and cat-back. price is 12k. I have test drove this car and it drives nice, the only thing I found wrong was bad 02s and small craked door panel.

2) is a white 00 with blue racing stripes/checker flag. It has ws6 hood, but not sure if its true ws6. It is a 6-speed with very nice black interior with 55k. Looks stock according to the pics the guy sent me. He offer to sell it for 12k. I have not seen this car in person yet.

Now this car will be my DD and I do live in the burbs of Chicago. I also dont have much experience with manual and yes it will see snow. So in this case what is your opinion on what would be better?

I would lean toward the 00. That's simply because if the 99 has bad 02's, and the owner hasn't fixed them yet, I would wonder what else he has neglected. That's a red flag to me.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    for all the guys who go on and on how the 6 speed is more fun, drive a stalled A4.
    you not going to miss a gear hit, the rev limiter and so on.
    the added bonus of the a4 is that when stalled, youll ass rape a M6 car.
    I have an A4 .... I love it most of the time, but when I feel like DRIVING, it's pretty boring. Not much driver involvement, you just stomp and steer.

I don't see how a stalled auto would be any more fun, so what if it's fast, there's the same lack of driver involvement.

I remember the thrill of banging through the gears in my M6, I loved getting 2nd gear rubber and chirping 3rd gear.

But to the OP, for your situation, it seems like an auto might suit you better.

I look back fondly now on my M6, but I rememeber being really frustrated with it at times, because like you, I had driven sticks before, but never owned one. Honestly, I never was much good at driving that car. I used to miss shifts once in a while, and I couldn't launch it to save my life.

Although, after re-reading your original post, between those 2 cars, I'd probably lean towards the white '00. It's a year newer, and the 99 A4 doesn't have the 2nd gear start feature anyway.
    Last edited by StuntmanMike; 08-14-2008 at 03:07 AM.

Thread Information