Black
    2001 Formula

What is this wire inside the steering column?

I replaced the ignition cylinder on my 2001 Formula the other day. I couldn't get the wire to stay in the Horn Contact Socket, so I left it as is. I drove it to work the next day and when I was making a turn to find a spot to back into, just in case I had to push start the car, I heard a pop in the steering column! At first, it was an "oh, S#!t" moment, but then I though maybe it was just the keys hitting the steering column. As I was backing into a parking space, I stalled the car. When I started it again, the AIR BAG light came on.

I went out today to see about the Horn Contact Switch, thinking maybe since it wasn't connected, it caused the Air Bag Light to come on. The Horn Contact Socket is broken where the wire connects, so I'm going to replace it but then I notices THIS broken wire!!!

Does anyone know what this wire was SUPPOSE to do? What it is? What it goes to? How hard it is to replace?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 148.jpg   148 - Copy.jpg   ScreenHunter_01 Jan. 29 18.29.jpg  
    Last edited by 1stbird; 01-29-2019 at 06:09 PM.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

No pic
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403ci , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, SPEC Stg3+ Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, Full UMI Performance Suspension, Belstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/Wavetrac Diff 3.73 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

00 FB Vert - Stock

78 FB - Just getting started......

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

Black
    2001 Formula

Broken wire in question
    https://imgur.com/a/S8oBBZf

Horn Contact (I got this figured out.)
    https://imgur.com/a/dhRMqz4

Hope these pix work.
    Last edited by 1stbird; 01-29-2019 at 06:24 PM.

Black
    2001 Formula

I think I found the answer to my question. I watched BWD Automotive's Ignition Lock Cylinder Replacement (GM cars w/ PASSkey theft systems) Video

)

and noticed this:

https://imgur.com/ALHi2Gu

Their Air Bag Coil is hanging by a wire. Right now, Mine is sitting on my desk!!! I guess that wire was suppose to connect to the Air Bag Coil and when it broke, that's when the light came on.

I've searched for the 26069709 part number and it seems that it's discontinued. Supposedly part number 26072753 is a replacement. My first question would be that my connector is on the RIGHT https://imgur.com/K45MkWK and theirs is on the left https://imgur.com/ctuaTFc. Would the 26072753 Coil even work?

Next question is where I would even GET the Coil...???

AND does anyone know how to change it out???
    Last edited by 1stbird; 01-30-2019 at 02:12 PM.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Gotta love YouTube

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Sounds like it's time for airbag delete.

I don't have access to my books to be able to give you a step by step. They are currently being used by someone else.

Jeff might be able to chime in here on this.

You might be needing to go to a salvage yard to get that part.

Black
    2001 Formula

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Sounds like it's time for airbag delete.
    I wouldn't have a problem with that except I looked online and the three lights that are an automation Inspection Fail (at least here in Texas) are Check Engine/Service Engine Soon, Anti-Lock Brakes and AIRBAG. Even if I took out the light bulb, they do Emission Testing in my County and I would almost bet it would throw a code when they hook it up to the OBDII.

You might be needing to go to a salvage yard to get that part.
    I'm still looking online, but you are probably right on this one. You just can't go down to the store and buy parts for these cars anymore. If they don't have one already out, I just didn't want to spend a day figuring out how to take it out of another cars. But at least I could figure out how to do it the wrong way, so I could do it the right way on my car! It's not like it's my daily driver, but inspection IS coming up in March. BTW... I saw a video online where the guy said that with a Dorman you don't have to pull the steering column wires, just hook it up to the old connector!?! I've also read that the #26072753 will work in place of the # 26069709. Any info or opinions on either one of these?

I don't have access to my books to be able to give you a step by step. They are currently being used by someone else.

Jeff might be able to chime in here on this.
    I'm the type of person who likes to know what I'm doing before I do it. Thanks for your help and any advice you or anyone can give me.
    I'm a hound dog and I'll keep hunting until I find what I'm looking for!!!

1stbird
    Last edited by 1stbird; 01-31-2019 at 08:13 PM.

Black
    2001 Formula

UPDATE: Problem Fixed and How I Did It!

Neither the #26069709 or #26072753 Air Bag Coil Spring are available new (at least in my research). I found several new ones online that looked like they would work (forgot the part #'s), but they didn't have the steering wheel radio control wire. So off to the salvage yard!

I found a 1998 Trans Am that the steering column had already been pretty well trashed, which made it easier to get out and the Air Bag Coil Spring looked good. I cut the wires on the far side of the connectors in case I needed to reuse them. Luckily, I also grabbed the air bag. The air bag was $49 and the coil spring was $11. Total was $68 with tax.

The connectors for the stereo controls were the same. But the connectors for the air bag were different, top and bottom. I just cut the wire for the bottom connector and spliced in my old one. The air bag had an extra plate on the back, which looked like it only held the wire for the connector. I thought it might not let me be able to push the horn in, so I just cut it off with my tin snips. Like I said, lucky I grabbed the air bag, because I didn't have to change the connection for it or the steering wheel stereo controls. I don't want anything in the steering wheel spliced! The only splices are down at the fire wall...

Hope this helps someone.
    1stbird

Thread Information