black
    1998 ws6 trans am

what to put an x pipe and new muffler any ideas

I what to buy a new exhaust system I have long tube pacesetter header with a y pipe and two glass pack chamber muffler sound nice but I want a deeper tone was thinking of adding an x pipe for true dual exhaust and change the chamber for glass pack cerro for deeper tone any one else have a better idea for a louder deeper tone please help

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Simply add an electric cutout to your existing setup and you can control the sound from the driver seat. It is one of my favorite additions to our car.

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

^ I'm with Jeff on this one. Electric cut outs are very convenient and a lot of fun to use...its loud and obnoxious when you want it and toned down a bit when you are trying to keep a low profile. Most people put them on the passenger side of our cars under the back seat in the I pipe. It fits perfectly back there...others do dual cut outs behind the headers in the Y pipe.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

My other thought on this subject is that true duals add weight and take up additional undercar real estate.

Maple Red Metallic
    2001 T/A

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Simply add an electric cutout to your existing setup and you can control the sound from the driver seat. It is one of my favorite additions to our car.
    Yup......I agree. I have that option and I'm quite happy

black
    1998 ws6 trans am

Ok so cutoff are the best way to go as for exhaust.is there any horsepower gain with true duals if any?

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

Quote Originally Posted by ws6shine View Post
    Ok so cutoff are the best way to go as for exhaust.is there any horsepower gain with true duals if any?
    You might pick up a few extra Hp with true duals but it's not going to be enough to notice vs a nice cat back system with long tubes and a good Y pipe...plus, with our cars they are begging for some nice exhaust tips in the rear bumper...true duals would just leave two empty holes back there.

And to add to Jeff's point, true duals drag a lot because our cars weren't really built for them...speed bumps and driveways will not be much fun with them and it'll get worse if the car is lowered.

With that said, some exhaust companies make a true dual setup for our cars that tuck up very well and exit out the back like a cat back system but they aren't cheap.
    Last edited by theorangeguy; 10-15-2014 at 10:05 PM.
    2000 Black TA M6 - LT's, ORY, UMI Short Stick, TT2's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Braided Lines, and Tuned by Vengeance SCCA and Car Show Approved
    2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie Limited
    2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport Premium Hemi - Sold
    2010 Hemi Crew Cab Sport Premium - Tuner and HID's - Sold
    06 Quad Cab HHHHemi - Sold
    99 Hugger Orange Camaro - Sold
    97 Camaro - Sold

black
    1998 ws6 trans am

Any recomendations
    on were to get good cutoffs?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

You only need one, mounted in the mid-pipe in the area under the rear seat:

You can buy electric cutouts through Jeg's, Summit, Pypes...

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

I have done y-pipe, y-pipe plus cut out and now my current setup is true duals. Y-pipe will have rasp you can control it some with cats and muffler setups but it will always be there.
    Clearance wise I have better clearance with duals then I ever did with any y-pipe setup I had. I don't fear speed bumps like I used to.

Down side mine are dumped at the axel so they are loud in the car. That will be solved soon when I have them run out the back over the winter. As for the looks I thought I would hate the lack of tips but i personally liked it once it was on the car.

If hadn't had my y messed up by a clamp breaking and it coming apart I would have had my exhaust guy build me a custom setup since I probably could have him build a setup run out the back for what I payed for my tsp setup. But he was booked solid for three weeks and I don't trust the other shops around after using and seeing some of their work. Needed something quick since I DD my car.

If you want true duals run out the back and it all fits out of the box kooks has a nice setup but it will cost. But with pacesetter headers you may have to modify them. The only headers I have heard working perfectly with kooks duals are their headers. Bassanni has a setup too but it's smaller pipe. Both sound great.

Weight Yup it's going to weigh more especially if ran all the way out the back. Dumped at the axel not so much but in 7 years I have had the car it has been at the track all of 2 times. So if its going to be raced a lot consider the weight if not do what you want and enjoy the sound.
    Mods - Lid, Skip Shift Eliminator, MGW shifter, UMI SFCs, Founders Lower Control Arms, Founders Panhard Bar, Founders Adj. Torque Arm, UMI Torque arm mount, MWC Drive shaft safety loop, KONI Yellows, Strano Springs, Strano Sway bars, UMI Upper and lower A Arms, 160 thermostat, TSP headers and TSP true duals Monster stage 2 clutch, racetronix fuel pump, Strange S60 rear axle and tune by Frost.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

I have Kooks true duals and everything here is pretty much correct. Stock you may not notice much of a difference between in it and an aftermarket headers and y-pipe setup but once you have heads, cam, and or a bigger cubed motor the y-pipe setup may become a restriction depending on the setup and the more mods you do the more of a difference True duals are going to make. On my setup my old y-pipe setup was going to be a restriction if I stayed with it with my build. True duals flow better than a y-pipe setup hands down. If you don't plan on doing some pretty big mods the true duals probably aren't worth it. In all honesty my headers and true duals don't weigh much more than my old headers, y-pipe, and cat back set up. The true duals I have are much more pricey than a y-pipe setup.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Thread Information