Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    1998 WS6, 1969 Camaro

Cool What exactly is the differance between a trans am and a ws6??? Please help!

I have just sold my 98 camaro and I have the cash to buy a trans am. The one I am looking at right now is in california and I am in Washington. It is a regular trans am but he claims that it was brought back to the dealer a few months after it was purchased to get the ws6 package installed. So it has the ram air hood. Although it has aftermarket wheels. But how can I tell if it has the ws6 suspention? Can someone list the differances between the ws6 and the regular trans am for me? Thanks.

I just looked at a real ws6 yesterday and it had a really agressive stance!!!! If I bought this car and put some ws6 wheels on it would it have the same stance as a real ws6 even if it had regular trans am suspention?

P.S. He sent me some pictures of the suspention and engine compartment but I don't know how to post them.

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

There are slight variations from year to year, but read the links below for advertised differences.

http://www.tripletransam.com/WS6/WS6_what.html

http://hem.passagen.se/ws6/ws6.html

You can check the RPO code inside the door for WS6 to see if it is origional, or just a hood someone added. There should also be a WS6 Performance Package badge under the right rear tail light.

1998 WS6, 1969 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by jag42420 View Post
    There are slight variations from year to year, but read the links below for advertised differences.

http://www.tripletransam.com/WS6/WS6_what.html

http://hem.passagen.se/ws6/ws6.html

You can check the RPO code inside the door for WS6 to see if it is origional, or just a hood someone added. There should also be a WS6 Performance Package badge under the right rear tail light.
    Like I said it isn't a real ws6. The guy told me that he bought it as a trans am but then took it back to the dealer and had all of the ws6 options installed. So it has the apperance of a ws6. But how can I tell if it has ws6 suspention?

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

There are arguments both for and against buying a WS6 over a Formula or regular Trans Am. I personally bought the WS6 because I like the way it looked, and after driving Z28s, Trans Ams, and a WS6 I felt the WS6 had a tighter handling ride.

If you intend to modify the car, they are all pretty much equal aside from weight differences.

1998 WS6, 1969 Camaro

I also want the ws6 but I would settle for a regular trans am if it has ALL of the ws6 upgrades. And I need to know what the differance was. everything I have read says that they had better suspention, wheels, tires, etc. Well can I get a more detailed description. I want a list of things that were differant.

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

I don't know how exactly you would go about verifying all of the differences, or if it would even be possible. The WS6 had special 17" wheels with 275/40s, a larger airbox with dual snorkel intakes (that were not sealed well), suspension upgrades, slightly freer exhaust and a WS6 rear badge. I would argue that it is not a factory WS6, therefore it is worth no more than a normal TA.

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsMac Silver Streak's Avatar

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

(WS6 PERFORMANCE PACKAGE?)

WS6 Option, Includes:
    *WS6-emblazoned 9"x17" High-Polish Aluminum/Chrome Rims
    *Goodyear P275/40ZR Tires
    *Functional Ram-Air Hood with cold air induction
    *Expanded and Revised 3.5" Exhaust, single chrome tip
    *Specific Badging including "Ram Air" on hood, "WS6" on wheels,
    *WS6 Performance Logo on rear fascia
    *Larger rear shocks (46mm DeCarbon)
    *Unique shock valving for good response but low jounce and wheel hop
    *Large (32mm) antiroll bar
    *63N/mm spring rate front, 23-30N/mm spring rate rear (variable)
    *Heavy-duty rear torque arms, trailing links, Panhard rod and Panhard bushings
    *Power Steering Cooler/Radiator

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

( LS1 5.7 Liter 8-cylinder 325hp engine )

*All Aluminum Block & Heads
    *6000 RPM Redline
    *10:1 Compression Ratio
    *99.0mm Bore and 92.0mm Stroke

*Net Crank Horsepower: 325 rated, 355 actual
    *Net Crank Torque: 345 rated, 385 actual

*(just a mild cam change, extrude-honed heads and nothing else
    has boosted these motors to 470 horsepower)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

( Performance times stock 2000 Trans Am WS6 )

*Standing 0-60mph accleration: 5.1 seconds
    *Standing quarter mile: 13.4 seconds / 107.6 miles per hour
    *Street start, 5-60 miles per hour: 5.6 seconds
    *Projected Top Speed: 159 miles per hour
    *Braking - 70 to Zero miles per hour: 160 feet
    *Roadholding, 300-foot skidpad: 0.89 gravities
    -Geno
    1983 Black WS6 "WindCharger"
    1987 Black WS6 "WS87"
    2002 Black WS6 "Silver Streak"
    Sold the other four f-bodies

1998 WS6, 1969 Camaro

Actually that second link gave me exactly what I was looking for! Thanks.

Here are some pictures if the car I am looking at. Can anyone tell me if this has the ws6 option. (I know it doesn't have the badge)

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

By the airbox.. it appeasrs to be the ws7 option.. but I could be wrong.. doesn't look like mine.. but does look like one of my friends' whos car was converted. But like said.. the only REAL way to know is look atht e dr door and look for WS6.

1998 WS6, 1969 Camaro

here are some more

1998 WS6, 1969 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by KITTvsKARR View Post
    By the airbox.. it appeasrs to be the ws7 option.. but I could be wrong.. doesn't look like mine.. but does look like one of my friends' whos car was converted. But like said.. the only REAL way to know is look atht e dr door and look for WS6.
    I know it didn't come from the factory as a ws6 but I want to know if he is telling me the truth about intalling the ws6 suspention.

Basically I want to know if this car is going to look and perform like a real ws6

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

Drive a real one and drive that one.. decide for yourself.... every car drives/handles/feels different.

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanater View Post
    Actually that second link gave me exactly what I was looking for! Thanks.

Here are some pictures if the car I am looking at. Can anyone tell me if this has the ws6 option. (I know it doesn't have the badge)
    Well it has 16 inch wheels and a Suncoast airbox which tells me someone prolly put a Suncoast Ram Air hood on their regular TA. BTW the underside of that car looks I would weary to say the least. I can't even tell if that is a DeCarbon Shock...

I have a buddy in Alabama that had bought a regular TA from the dealer thinking it was a WS6 because the dealer put a GM Ram air hood and WS6 badge on it. It still had 16 inch wheels and didn't have the proper door code! He was pissed to say the least!
    1999 Trans Am WS6 Black - Forged 346, P1SC (8psi), TH-400, and 12 bolt(3.73's)
    10.29@129 w/1.60 sixty foot

2004 Screaming Yellow Mustang Cobra - Whipple 2.3, Exhaust, & CCW's...My DD

1998 WS6, 1969 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Packy View Post
    Well it has 16 inch wheels and a Suncoast airbox which tells me someone prolly put a Suncoast Ram Air hood on their regular TA. BTW the underside of that car looks I would weary to say the least. I can't even tell if that is a DeCarbon Shock...

I have a buddy in Alabama that had bought a regular TA from the dealer thinking it was a WS6 because the dealer put a GM Ram air hood and WS6 badge on it. It still had 16 inch wheels and didn't have the proper door code! He was pissed to say the least!
    I know it isn't a real ws6. He also has 18" whels that come with it. I just want to know if it has the ws6 suspention.

Why would you be weary after looking under the car? Is it in bad shape? Is there any tell tale signs that it has ws6 suspention or not?

AGAIN, I KNOW THIS IS NOT A REAL WS6!!! HE JUST TOLD ME THAT THE SUSPENTION WAS UPGRADED TO THE WS6 SUSPENTION.

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

I know it isn't a real ws6. He also has 18" whels that come with it. I just want to know if it has the ws6 suspention.

Why would you be weary after looking under the car? Is it in bad shape? Is there any tell tale signs that it has ws6 suspention or not?

AGAIN, I KNOW THIS IS NOT A REAL WS6!!! HE JUST TOLD ME THAT THE SUSPENTION WAS UPGRADED TO THE WS6 SUSPENTION.
    It is too dirty to tell! That is why I would be weary. It looks like he has been doing the Smoky and the Bandit through the cornfield or something. Seriously it just looked dirty to me and I couldn't tell.

I doubt he did all that...just looking at the rims, they sure look like 16", not 17", so there is one thing right there he didn't do....

What I want to know is why on earth this guy would buy a regular T/A and then spend all that $$$ in parts and labor to "upgrade" it to WS6 specs when he could have just spent the $3150 and got the real WS6 package in the first place? I can't imagine he did it cheaper than that....ask him who did the work, and see if he has reciepts for it....he should have saved all that stuff, unless he is full of crap or he's a moron...if he can't do that, I'd suggest error on the side of caution and just go find a real WS6...
    Last edited by Armor; 04-08-2007 at 08:58 PM.
    1999 Formula WS6 Silver T-Top, 6 speed, 3:42 gears

1997 Trans Am Silver hardtop, many extras

1998 WS6, 1969 Camaro

He said he had it done at a dealer, I forget which one. And he told me up front that he didn't get the ws6 wheels. He told me it still had the stock ta rims. But he is including the 18" wheels. He said all he had done at the dealer was the hood, and the suspention.

It has 42k miles on it and he is willing to take $11,000. Should I go for it? even if it doesn't have the ws6 suspention?

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

Sounds like a fair price. What year model is it?

1998 WS6, 1969 Camaro

98 or 99 i can't remember.

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

You know for sure it is missing the wheels and badging, and I highly doubt they added the suspension. Sounds like someone just added a hood and called it a WS6. Whoever traded it in may have just been trying to bump up their value a bit. Ask for the service record. When GM does work on a vehicle, they keep the records by VIN number. Without a receipt, I'd treat it as a TA with a WS6 style hood.

If you like the car, you can always add aftermarket parts. WS6 cars were not really any faster than normal TAs. LS1 cars are really about the same. If you like it and the price is right, buy it. Check the value in your area with Kelley http://www.kbb.com/kbb/UsedCars/default.aspx and NADA http://www.nadaguides.com/default.as...=21&p=1&f=5004 . The dealer pays trade in value at best. That's where I usually top my offer out.

I bought my '02 WS6 with 17k miles a few months ago. It was stickered at $24k, and the going rate in my area for one with low miles at a dealership was about $30k. I finally got them down to $18k before I bought it, which is trade in value. You rarely see a WS6 in my area. There are a couple SS Camaros, and a lot of TAs and Z28s. That was one of my attractions to the WS6...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information