white/Black
    1999 Pontiac Firebird

What else can i replace

Im bout do a Tranny swap Im also replacing rear main seal at that time putting on new U. Joints installing Tranny cooler polyUrethane Tranny an motor mounts. I wanna replace/upgrade what ever else would be alot more accessible with Tranny out an stuff i also have some headers not yet put on is that a good time do those? But i don't have Y pipe or what evers needed for them rso id be running open headers for awhile and i don't have gaskets for headers which ones i need there the pace setter mid tube and should i wrap them or can i paint them and not worry bout paint burning off? I also have new cat and having welding equipment at our disposal but the car will be on jack stands in a shop so not alot of room like if we had a lift bay. I think my bump stops need replaced how easy that be with car up, also got new fuel pump there away to put it in without dropping tank like maybe cut threw wheel whale i don't know if possible but any help and ideas would be great thanks all

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by izzhemp View Post
    Im bout do a Tranny swap Im also replacing rear main seal at that time putting on new U. Joints installing Tranny cooler polyUrethane Tranny an motor mounts. I wanna replace/upgrade what ever else would be alot more accessible with Tranny out an stuff i also have some headers not yet put on is that a good time do those? But i don't have Y pipe or what evers needed for them rso id be running open headers for awhile and i don't have gaskets for headers which ones i need there the pace setter mid tube and should i wrap them or can i paint them and not worry bout paint burning off? I also have new cat and having welding equipment at our disposal but the car will be on jack stands in a shop so not alot of room like if we had a lift bay. I think my bump stops need replaced how easy that be with car up, also got new fuel pump there away to put it in without dropping tank like maybe cut threw wheel whale i don't know if possible but any help and ideas would be great thanks all
    Rear Main Seal is a good idea. Are you in need of a clutch? I'd wait on the headers until you get a y-pipe.

As for the Fuel Pump, it sits on top of the tank, so you can't go through the wheel well to get to it. You'll either have to drop the tank or cut a hole like this:

white/Black
    1999 Pontiac Firebird

Ya i thought it good idea to its like 400-500 $ job at shop and only like 10$ part that probably takes like ten minutes to do once you can do it. An ill wait on headers and what you have pic of what i was thinkin, you have any ideas on other things that can be checked replaced at that time? Its be auto by the way i have a newer used flex plate though don't know if upgrading that or converter good idea Tranny is newer rebuilt year ago with B&M shift kit

Navy Blue, Dark Cherry
    98 M6 TA, 87 A4 TA

I think most just use factory GM gaskets for headers, thats what I used on mine and they are fine. Headers and Motor Mounts are easier to do at the same time so that's up to you. Personally I wish I hadn't bought a Y-pipe, It didn't fit well and I ended up taking it to an exhaust shop and having them fabricate half of what was there anyway. If I had to do it again I would just put headers on and take it to a shop to custom weld up a Y.

Fuel pump, like above, cut an access hole in the top, can be done with car on the ground.

Is there a high stall torque converter on the new Tranny? I think that's one of the first tranny upgrades the guys with automatics do. Thant and a ECM reprogram to adjust shift points.

white/Black
    1999 Pontiac Firebird

Keep in mind its just V6 but no its not a high stall converter where an how much one run Me? I've looked threw jegs for one but not sure which one i need cause never sure if it for the V8 or V6 ya know what's difference in them trannys

Thread Information