Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Orange Metalic
    2006 GTO

What do you think of this?

Hello everyone! I am new to the forums and recently just purchased a 2002 Pontiac WS6 with 65k miles ! I plan on adding some basic mods to my car and just wanted to see what you guys thought. I plan on making this into a fun street car but still reliable for a D/D. I will list what I will be doing down below. If you have any tips for me on my car please let me know as this is my very first WS6 ! Thanks!

Exhaust:

SLP Loudmouth 1 Catback
    SLP Y-Pipe
    (Stock Headers For Now)

Suspension:

BMR Lowering Springs
    Panhard Bar Bushing Kit
    BMR Lower Control Arms

Engine:

Xtreme Strut Bar
    Volant Cold Air Intake

Interior:

Triple Pillar Pod
    After Market Gauges (Transmission, Water, Oil) A buddy of mine told me those are the 3 most important on a N/A WS6? (Correct me if I am wrong)

Exterior:

Black ZR1 Replica Wheels 19"

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Congrats and welcome to the site!

I am very partial to UMI when it comes to suspension parts -- have installed almost everything they make on our '02 Trans Am and it really helps it to hook and get down the track. I would recommend upgrading the panhard bar as well - the stock unit is stamped steel and you can twist it with your bare hands. Also, relocating the torque arm to the transmission x-member (and getting it off the trans tail stock) is highly recommended. Post some pics when you get a chance!

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

UMI is a top company when it comes to suspension parts. It's a quality operation and the customer service is second to none. The best part about dealing with UMI is that your parts will fit right the first time, every time. None better.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I'd look at a different exhaust if you plan to get headers down the road. The SLP LMI will be extremely loud and get irritating after awhile. I have the LMII which is tamer and it's insanely loud. It drowns out bikes. Other than that, solid list. Congrats on the purchase. Oh, a wideband on the pillar pod would be a very useful addition also.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Congrats and welcome to the site!

I am very partial to UMI when it comes to suspension parts -- have installed almost everything they make on our '02 Trans Am and it really helps it to hook and get down the track. I would recommend upgrading the panhard bar as well - the stock unit is stamped steel and you can twist it with your bare hands. Also, relocating the torque arm to the transmission x-member (and getting it off the trans tail stock) is highly recommended. Post some pics when you get a chance!
    If I had to say I had a regret on a mod of mine, it would be putting an adjustable panhard rod instead of a watts link.

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans AM

I did BMR, no issues yet. Just put some ass into the lock nuts and make sure bolts to the frame are TIGHT. I'm an N/A car with full length headers, off road y pipe and a magnaflow exhaust-sounds amazing has a good rumble to it. You will come to a point where you want to do the intake I made the decision to spend a few extra on a fast 92 versus an ls6 and I like the set up, gives a good look under the hood. If your a 6 speed do 4.10 gears. I'm not a firm believer in beefing up the rear end with Moser this and ford 9 inch that, I'm 355 to the wheels and not a single issue, driven hard and sees the track a few times a year.
    98' Trans AM RIP

00' WS6/Black/Pacesetter LT's/Magnaflow Exhaust/SLP lid/Nick Williams 92mm TB/FAST 92 Intake/BMR Strut Tower Brace/BMR Rear LCA's/BMR Panhard Bar

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

When you're 500+ to the wheels and using Mickey Thompson's, you'll think differently.

Orange Metalic
    2006 GTO

Thanks for everyone responses! I also forgot to mention that I will be replacing the gears, I was thinking along the line on 3.73's for automatic? I also will check out some of UMI suspension! @ AVN-SS How is the SLP loudmouth without headers? I wont be getting headers for awhile just catback & Y-pipe for now.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I went with 3.73's for our A4 equipped car and they work great. Honestly, I could have gone just a bit steeper since we do track our car. The general consensus though is to upgrade to 3.73's for autos.

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans AM

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    When you're 500+ to the wheels and using Mickey Thompson's, you'll think differently.
    My car will never put down that amount of power while I won it, no sense dropping 4k on a rear for a bolt on car...at least in my opinion.

Orange Metalic
    2006 GTO

Does anyone have any experience ordering from the WS6store.com? That's where I was thinking about buying the majority of my parts.

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans AM

If you're on a budget some good headers (pacesetter or ebay headers) are pretty affordable. I did headers and off road y pipe for about $350. Do you plan on going with a off road y pipe or a catted y?

Orange Metalic
    2006 GTO

I plan on going with a O/R Y-Pipe.

Orange Metalic
    2006 GTO

Here is a pic

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans AM

I'm sure someone can chime in on this but there is a website to hear different exhaust setups, it's slipping my mind. Best thing to do is scout prices and see what's gonna pay off the most. I made a list and when the car was garaged slowly bought and put the parts on, being from Arizona you probably won't garage it other than over night but a list with prices is a good starting point because it'll add up very very fast.

Orange Metalic
    2006 GTO

I know what website you are talking about it would be ls1sounds.com or unless there's another one? I really liked the SLP 1 but now debating because AVN said that they get obnoxious after you add headers. I was looking into Magnaflow & Corsa but if I had to pick right now it would be SLP. For now with my budget my plans are getting the exhaust & Y-Pipe, volant CAI & aftermarket gauges.

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans AM

Ls1sounds.com is it. I like my magnaflow, it wakes up after 3000 RPM and highway cruising is very tolerable. I didn't have a choice, the guy I bought off of had it installed the previous year but I like it. Look into headers, speed engineering has a set on ebay that are like 200 bucks shipped, a lot of users here have them and from what I understand the price and quality are both good. Put aside some money for a tune, you'll be throwing o2 codes and she gonna probably run rich. Part of the reason why I did intake and tb with the exhaust was in didn't want to get multiple tunes

Orange Metalic
    2006 GTO

Do you know what type of gains people were seeing with the ebay headers? I will eventually get everything just takes time & money.
    Last edited by Refractor; 08-01-2015 at 11:23 AM.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

As long as you go with long tubes you are going to pick up around 20 hp, give or take a few ponies. A tune will maximize the gain and I always recommend a mail order tune from Frost if you do not wish to go to the expense of a dyno tune (or, like me, there is no shop with a dyno within a hundred plus miles).

Also, add to your list a set of subframe connectors. They work wonders to tighten up your car. I originally had UMI 2 point bolt ins that worked perfectly, however, after adding a dedicated set of track wheels and tires, I installed a 3 point bolt ins.

We'll be out your way in November. Every year or so the in-laws rent a home up in Saddlebrooke - love coming out there and would really like to catch a local cruise event.

Orange Metalic
    2006 GTO

Thread Information