Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

White
    2001 RS Camaro

What do you think?

So my Camaro threw a rod and broke the timing chain and now I'm looking for another car. =[ I found this one and was wondering what everyone thought. I'm going to look at it tomorrow but from the pics it looks pretty good minus the ugly stock rims. http://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/cto/2299465871.html

NBM
    2000 Trans Am Ws6 #2946

That TA looks nice, but for $7k could you have a really nice rev'd up LS3 put in your camaro?

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by transamgirl89 View Post
    So my Camaro threw a rod and broke the timing chain and now I'm looking for another car. =[ I found this one and was wondering what everyone thought. I'm going to look at it tomorrow but from the pics it looks pretty good minus the ugly stock rims. http://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/cto/2299465871.html
    Why not just put another engine in it? I would suggest a ls3 or ls6. I am not trying to talk you out of the TA if that's what you want but I am just making sure you thought about it.

White
    2001 RS Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    Why not just put another engine in it? I would suggest a ls3 or ls6. I am not trying to talk you out of the TA if that's what you want but I am just making sure you thought about it.
    I am considering an LS1 swap if it comes down to that but you never know what condition the engine is in from a junk yard. If I can get a decent offer for trade value I'll just pay the difference vs. thousands on an engine rebuild.

White
    2001 RS Camaro

My main concern is it has 108k on it. What are some problems I'll run into with that kind of mileage? I've never owned a high mileage car like that.

Black/ Silver

My main concern is it has 108k on it. What are some problems I'll run into with that kind of mileage? I've never owned a high mileage car like that.
    It all comes down to how it was cared for. I have 131k miles on mine and it has had almost no problems. If you can have a mechanic check it out for problems, I would.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

All the work you've done to your car and your going to ditch it!?

I'm with everyone else, swap the motor, even if you have to pay someone else to do it!

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by KMdef9 View Post

I'm with everyone else, swap the motor, even if you have to pay someone else to do it!
    Sounds like she wants a TA though. Transamgirl, you currently have a v6 camaro right? If you do I actually would get the TA since the LS1 swap will probably be more expensive than just getting the TA. If you do all of the work you will save on labor but there are tons of parts that need to be replaced to handle the v8.
    Last edited by 98TransAmWs-6; 04-17-2011 at 04:11 PM.

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

buy a new motor, buy one new not from a stupid ass junkyard

NBM
    1999 Formula ws6

I think the trans am looks great, if I were you I would find a used 3.8 put it in your car and then sell it, and use that cash tords the ta. You can get so much more money for that car if it has a good engine, you could even keep that as a daily driver and keep some miles off the ta, pluse the v6 would be a bit better on gas.

Impounded

VW BEETLE W/ FLOWER
    88 CRX

v8 -v6 and vice versa are pita's not a simple rip out and drop in

either take a loan out with car as callateral for a new motor

or take the hit sell it and use money down on new one.

White
    2001 RS Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by KMdef9 View Post

I've done an LS1 swap on my last car and it was a bitch and a half!!! I had some buddies help me but it took so long and I was in high school with an alternate way to school. Now I'm in college and need something now! I loved having the LS1 but I don't want to go through all that crap again. It's not worth it.

White
    2001 RS Camaro

What are the big differences b/t a base TA and a WS6 besides the upgraded suspension?

Black/ Silver

What are the big differences b/t a base TA and a WS6 besides the upgraded suspension?
    The rims,hood,airbox, thicker sway bars, better suspension including shocks and struts are the only differences. But ws9s had the hood too. If you're looking to mod the car I would just get a base TA or maybe a ws9 so you have the ram air hood if you want it.
    Last edited by 98TransAmWs-6; 04-17-2011 at 08:49 PM.

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    The rims,hood,airbox, thicker sway bars, better suspension including shocks and struts are the only differences. But ws9s had the hood too. If you're looking to mod the car I would just get a base TA or maybe a ws9 so you have the ram air hood if you want it.
    No base TA's came from the factory with the ram air hood. WS9 is simply the V8 code. Didnt come with a Ram Air hood. Only car with the hoods were the WS6 ta's and the WS6 Formulas.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

In 00' the differences became less. Meaning the suspension upgrades where begingin to show on the base models too. If you had any future planes to mod the hell out of it I would not discard a base model TA because in the long run minus the hood you will end up replacing the "upgrades" anyways.

I have a base model and it is no longer stock. Its funny because sometimes the Mustang crowd thinks I'm a V6 Firebird and they end up getting their asses handed to them

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Here is a link to the differences in the TA/F-Body Yrs 98-02.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27512

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

You killed your 3800 with 70K on it??
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Surprising, those last to 250k regularly. Great motor

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    In 00' the differences became less. Meaning the suspension upgrades where begingin to show on the base models too. If you had any future planes to mod the hell out of it I would not discard a base model TA because in the long run minus the hood you will end up replacing the "upgrades" anyways.

I have a base model and it is no longer stock. Its funny because sometimes the Mustang crowd thinks I'm a V6 Firebird and they end up getting their asses handed to them
    I agree w smws6ta. I also bought a base ta because i was gonna change the sus, exhaust, etc, then just buy a functional ws6 hood from suncoast. You can save a bunch of $ that way.

Thread Information