pewter
    2000 trans am ws-6

weight reduction

i was wondering what type of stuff people have done to lighten their ws-6s up. i was also told that i may not want to lighten my car up because i may lose some traction if i get too much torque for the weight of the car. i don't know about that statement but i was wondering if anyone knows from experience or what. thanks.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

You can always take out the spare tire and jack, but like you said you dont want too loose too much so relocating the battery to the back also helps I heard, I just haven't seen anyone do that

Silver
    1997 T/A

some guy did a whole writeup on lightening an acura integra awhile back and he took every unneccessary component out including the carpet and he added like a second onto his 1/4. its the little stuff that adds up. like plastic interior pieces, t-tops, the rear seats, spare tire and jack, etc. that right there is alot of weight when added up.

green
    98 formula

if its a race car take all the weight out and traction is easy just use slicks or drag radials

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Lets see here, Spare tire and Jack, seats, panels on the interior, Sound matting underneath the carpet, Front and rear bumper supports, A/C, Stock stamped suspension, lighter wheels....did I forget anything else?

pewter
    2000 trans am ws-6

i've already removed my back seats and my spare tire and jack. i don't know if removing the t-tops would be wise since, although my car will be lighter, it would give my car more wind resistance. also, is it safe to remove the front and rear bumper supports, i mean what is the purpose of the bumper supports? i only ask because if it is, in fact, to support the bumpers than wouldn't that be kinda important. i mean, i plan on keeping this a street. what do you mean stock stamped suspension? thanks for the advise though.

green
    98 formula

Quote Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
    i've already removed my back seats and my spare tire and jack. i don't know if removing the t-tops would be wise since, although my car will be lighter, it would give my car more wind resistance. also, is it safe to remove the front and rear bumper supports, i mean what is the purpose of the bumper supports? i only ask because if it is, in fact, to support the bumpers than wouldn't that be kinda important. i mean, i plan on keeping this a street. what do you mean stock stamped suspension? thanks for the advise though.
    my front bumper support is gone (room for intercooler) its purpose is for support in a wreck

Justin

Black
    2002 WS6

Yeah remove that tire and jack, they weigh 50lbs easy, but you'll look like a fool if you get a flat. All in all, I removed them, but have added the same weight-( 3 point sub-frame connectors-about 45 lbs., West wings-front fascia-6 lbs.) and if you wanna get picky-engine dress up, heavier headliner, interior/exterior stuff, etc...

pewter
    2000 trans am ws-6

does anyone know about how much of a weight reduction i would get if i changed to a carbon fiber drive shaft.

Black
    2002 camaro z-28

how do u take off the front bumper support???? i want to do this..

Montego Blue
    '07 BMW 328Xi Coupe

Anyone know if someone has done a t-top to hard top swap? I think the hard top is supposed to save you 20-30 pounds or something like that.

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

I know fo some people that made fiberglass T tops that were light as hell. The bumper support is easy. Remoce all the front bumper bolts and you should be able to get it out. Just don't sit on your front

Black
    2002 Formula Firehawk

Quote Originally Posted by Redphoenix1998 View Post
    I know fo some people that made fiberglass T tops that were light as hell. The bumper support is easy. Remoce all the front bumper bolts and you should be able to get it out. Just don't sit on your front
    how many lbs does that bumper support weigh?

Silver
    1997 T/A

Your bumper support is there to help cushion in event of an impact. It doesnt weight more than 10 or 15 pounds but I dont see how that is a viable tradeoff when you get hit and break in your radiator or something.

pewter
    2000 trans am ws-6

i agree with the whole not taking off my bumper supports. the only way i could justify doing that is if i was planning on making my car a stricktly strip vehicle.

green
    98 formula

Quote Originally Posted by Aphix View Post
    Your bumper support is there to help cushion in event of an impact. It doesnt weight more than 10 or 15 pounds but I dont see how that is a viable tradeoff when you get hit and break in your radiator or something.
    mine was removed for the intercooler I wouldnt have removed it just for weight savings

Thread Information