Black

Wana hit 400rwhp

Sorry if this is wrong section but as everyone knows its tax season which means buy more car parts season SO I have 2002 WS6 A4 I'm plannnin on getting the brian tooley racing stage 2 cam with titanium springs and LS2 timing chain. It will have that, magna flow cat back, 1 7/8 speed engineering headers and ORY, no cats, SLP lid, K&N, custom tune and it has LS6 intake stock. SO the question is anyone running this cam/similar set up and what kinda numbers would I be looking at?? thanks for any info

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Sounds like a good plan. I am still kicking around a cam swap for our car.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Wana hit 400rwhp

What are the cam numbers? Heads?

Also budget for tuning. Most will do heads at same time because with both cam/heads you'll need to tune. Saves money, tuning usually are around $500 for a dyno session.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403ci , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, SPEC Stg3+ Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, Full UMI Performance Suspension, Belstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/Wavetrac Diff 3.73 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

00 FB Vert - Stock

78 FB - Just getting started......

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

Black
    Can specs are 227/234 .614"/.576" 113+2 as for the heads there stock 241's I will be changing the springs and pushrods of coarse but the heads should be ok. As for tuning I'm fortunate enough to have someone on the inside and getting it at a great deal

You're going to need to do a converter with that. Otherwise you won't like the performance regardless of the RWHP numbers it puts down.

Black
    2001 B4C Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    You're going to need to do a converter with that. Otherwise you won't like the performance regardless of the RWHP numbers it puts down.
    I agree you will wish you had a converter

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Absolutely - get a stall to match that cam.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Black
    Yes I do agree with that as well I was told from Brian tooley racing it will work without a stall but I've been told otherwise and I was planning on doing that along with 3:73 gears...I was thinking 3000 stall but would love to do 3500...again it will be a daily pretty much in summer what are your guys thoughts on stall?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I run a 3,200 in our car. Should have went 3,600, but as it is both street and track driven I thought 3,200 was a good compromise.

Here are my thoughts....

First, I feel even a stock LS1 is pretty soft on power down low, and they like rpm. They don't make peak torque until the 4,000 rpm range. Even a stock LS1 will benefit greatly from a stall converter to the tune of at least 1/2 second quicker in the quarter mile. My opinion is that they are the best bang for your buck on any LS1 with an automatic.

Second, looking at his stage II cam I see 227/234 @ .050 with a 113 LSA advanced 2 degrees. Without the advertised numbers I can't tell you what the off seat timing will be but initial thoughts so far tell me it has some aggressive lobes on it. This cam is going to have some "bump" to it. I can't believe (but I'm sure he did) Brian suggested you don't need a converter with this. The engine is going to be way too soggy down low, it will produce a little less vacuum than stock, and probably struggle a bit to idle with a stock "tight" converter. Won't be all that pleasurable to drive around in my opinion and track performance will suffer. Might run a decent MPH but it won't 60 foot and ET will suffer badly. Tight converters with these cams in my opinion just really kill the driving experience and will make you wish you didn't install the cam.

A well built converter can "flash" high but still drive around "snug" and have very nice street manors. I'd look at brands like Yank, Precision Industries, Coan, Continental, to give you some price options. Any of these companies will build a custom converter to match the combo and still drive nicely around town without too much slippage and heat. You'll probably wind up with something in the ~3500 range.

Black
    Thanks guys all really good info much appreciated. As for when I called about the cam I spoke with one of his sales associates it wasn't Brian directly which is why I'm sure I was told a stock convertor will work. But thanks I will lookin into those companies and considering I wanted a 3500 to begin with ill probably go that route.

Thread Information