Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: W68 Package

Black
    C5 M6 Vette

W68 Package

I've been so torn lately. I finnaly have enough $$ to sell my latest FBody car (98 V6 Firebird) and buy an LS1 but I've had the hardest time trying to decided what to get...Formula or Trans AM. I've looked at every apsect of the two, from body styles, performance numbers, options, and anything else my mind could think up. This however has only caused me headaches because both cars are so excelent, I couldn't fault anyone for choosing one over the other. So after careful consideration I've decided to base my final decision on ONE thing, and one thing alone. The W68 Package. I'll buy the Formula if I have enough money left over to get the W68 Package installed.

Now, I no doubt will be corrected on this, but as far as I am aware the Formula didn't come from the factory with a W68 (at least all my searching has never found one, so either there aren't any or it's super freakin rare). So this leaves only one option.....buy one. Here is my problem, I don't wanna pay the $1300 plus paint and install for it. That's toooooo freakin' much. Is there anyone here that can find me a cheaper way to buy this thing? The absolute only place I could find that sells this package is GM, the part number is 12495402.

Like I said, this is the factor that will sway me one way or the other on this so I really need ya'lls help. Any and all advice would be helpful guys, THANKX!

99FRC,00TA,98Formula
    91Firebird,88FieroGT

You are correct the formulas never got the w68 packasge from the factory. Other than GM, I have only seen a few sets on Ebay and once in a long while in the parts for sale sections.

Red
    1998 Trans Am Vert

It would be a no brainer for me.. go with the trans am. Not only the looks (which you will pay out the ass for, trust me Ive looked) but performance as well. The formula was a detuned version of the TA
    1998 Trans Am Vert, M6, Soon to be full of goodies......

Black
    C5 M6 Vette

Quote Originally Posted by schrysler View Post
    It would be a no brainer for me.. go with the trans am. Not only the looks (which you will pay out the ass for, trust me Ive looked) but performance as well. The formula was a detuned version of the TA
    I'd have to disagree there. It's just a matter of taste and budget. And not to mention the lighter Formula will leave ya with more $$ left over to make it faster anyways. There is a thread about the difs between the two in the Firebird/WS6 section right now. Anywho this is what I'm goin for if I get a Formula...

It just needs the front license plate bird and another tough choice....FireHawk Style Hood or WS6 Hood. Heh. And new paint =P

The Trans Am I'm looking at is just your reg Trans Am with T-Tops and Black. Nothing special. But in my view the T/A dont need much, it looks good the way it does. I just want something a bit more unique, hence the Formula choice.

Silver
    2002 Z28

Get the Forumla and put a firehawk hood on it. I know it's silly, but do you really want a car that looks exactly like thousands of others, just because they made it look pretty good from the factory? That alone would be my reasoning on not putting a WS6 Hood on a formula... Lots of money for a generally unobserved change. You follow where I'm coming from?
    She's baaaaaccccck...

'02 Z/28 M6 Hardtop

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

I don't know there you got your information from on that one. Both cars are the same with exception to the obvious cosmetic differences. And to add, the Formula with the same power and less weight would mean the faster car.

2000 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 A4 - Light Pewter Metallic
    Direct Flo lid, SLP Loudmouth, Bassani Offroad Y-Pipe, BMR strut tower brace, BMR subframe connectors, shift points tune and !EGR

2011 Kia Forte EX A6 Sportmatic - Titanium Silver Metallic

Madeche Vision...soon The Scientist's Avatar

NBM
    '98 Ram Air Formula

Wrong, wrong, wrong! There is nothing "de-tuned" about a Formula except maybe the interior which could come in cloth instead of leather. Check the literature or any of the 10,000 threads about the difference b/w the two. Go with the Formy, put the hood of your choice on, and stay away from the ground effects especially the w68 package. If you must have ground fx then there are some better aftermarket options out there but then you might as well go TA cause all you will be missing is the wing.
    Sincerely,
    Formula Driver

Black
    C5 M6 Vette

Quote Originally Posted by The Scientist View Post
    Wrong, wrong, wrong! There is nothing "de-tuned" about a Formula except maybe the interior which could come in cloth instead of leather. Check the literature or any of the 10,000 threads about the difference b/w the two. Go with the Formy, put the hood of your choice on, and stay away from the ground effects especially the w68 package. If you must have ground fx then there are some better aftermarket options out there but then you might as well go TA cause all you will be missing is the wing.
    Sincerely,
    Formula Driver
    Um would you mind telling me what other choices for ground fx there are, and why I should stay away from the W68?

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

wings west makes a nice GFX kit for the Formy. I wish they made it for the T/A

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Here is a photo of my friends old '99 Trans Am WS6 with the Wings West GFX package.

2000pontiac6
    its nearly impossible to find the w68 package... i've considered it for a long time and its the only ground effects i would put on my car but the only way to really get them is pass an obsurd amount from the factory. That or maybe find them in a junk yard of a bird that has them. There was talk about someone possibly making an aftermarket set available but i dont tihnk that ever happend

Black
    C5 M6 Vette

Quote Originally Posted by 2000pontiac6 View Post
    its nearly impossible to find the w68 package... i've considered it for a long time and its the only ground effects i would put on my car but the only way to really get them is pass an obsurd amount from the factory. That or maybe find them in a junk yard of a bird that has them. There was talk about someone possibly making an aftermarket set available but i dont tihnk that ever happend
    After weeks of searching I did find the complete W68 package for $1050. It's still a bit pricey, but I like it more than the WW GFX. And I know some ppl dont like it, but I do, and well it's my $$. Heh.

BTW isn't that GFX on the T/A the Camaro GFX? Just wondering...

And on a side note, I'm sure this seems stupid to you guys but I want this car to be the EXACT car I want, I'm planning on keeping it a good damn while and it needs to be something I will be happy with for a long time, even to the point where if the motor blows I'd be willing to toss in an LS6 or LS2 just to keep the body. Tossing on the rear hatch from a T/A, a FireHawk replica hood and the W68 Package on a Formula would just about make me the happiest man alive and would be better than a stock WS6. However that's alot of work and $$ to sink into a car so I'm wieghing (spelling?) all my choices very very carefully.

I'll have the $$ to buy the car of my choice by next month so I still have time to think.

1966 Corvette Coupe

JP Auto makes a descent looking kit also...

-me

98T/Aformula
    The misconception between the WS6 and the Formula comes up all the time and im always wondering what ppl are talking about, I have a 98 formula leather, the lifted wing (etc), looks just like a WS6 and I have all the same options just with out the Ram Air hood...thats it...also I have raced three WS6s, me with light mods, and them with light mods, we raced at the track and I was running 14.1s when every WS6 was running 14.5s at best but on avarage a 14.7 (this is at 5500ft ASL) so you guys tell me maybe it was just luck...Or formulas are faster ?

2000pontiac6
    Quote Originally Posted by 98T/Aformula View Post
    The misconception between the WS6 and the Formula comes up all the time and im always wondering what ppl are talking about, I have a 98 formula leather, the lifted wing (etc), looks just like a WS6 and I have all the same options just with out the Ram Air hood...thats it...also I have raced three WS6s, me with light mods, and them with light mods, we raced at the track and I was running 14.1s when every WS6 was running 14.5s at best but on avarage a 14.7 (this is at 5500ft ASL) so you guys tell me maybe it was just luck...Or formulas are faster ?
    If you have a high rise spoiler either you have a base TA or the owner before you put it on.... and if u think it looks just like a WS6 just without the hood chances are you have a trans am... Were their cars 6spd and urs an auto? theres a lot of factors that come in to play. When it all comes down to it they're basically equal

Black
    C5 M6 Vette

Argh. I feel we're getting a bit off topic. I dont care about performance and what car is "better". This is about looks. Plain and simple. You guys can argue all day long what car is faster or better tuned or lighter or more areodynamic or is most cost effective to buy. I dont care. I just want my car to look like this one with a FireHawk Style hood.

The above picture is what a Formula with a T/A hatch looks like. And I'll I need to do is buy a W68 package. So if anyone can help me locate one for the least amount of $$ I will be eternally grateful. TY.

11 Second Club 11.34 bigboykilroy's Avatar

Red
    1998 Firebird Trans AM

I have 98 W68 V6, I liked the ground fx the the W698 had on them. So i put on a OEM Ram air Hood, and the TA deck lid/wing, Finally this year upgraded it to a LS1 engine...love it.

Madeche Vision...soon The Scientist's Avatar

NBM
    '98 Ram Air Formula

Hey brother get what you want, but your original post was asking for opinions and options. If that is the car you want then the most direct way to get there is to buy a Firehawk Formula (not the TA) with the up-level spoiler and add your ground fx of choice. Even though the base car is a bit harder to find and more expensive in the long run all you would have to add is $1000 for the fx. Either way you do it don't be satified until you get what you want.

Bone it like you own it FORD RECOVERY EXPERT's Avatar

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

yea. another classic example of my sig... do your freakin homework people!!!

as many know the formy and the ta are identical, powertrainwise.

silver
    2000 formula ws6

NOT A TRUE STATEMENT!!!! People here should try reseaching the answers to these questions posted here.

Thread Information