Thread: W t f

black
    02 trans am ws6

W t f

HAS ANY BODY HAVE THIS TROUBLE WHEN YOU HIT YOUR REMOTE YOUR LIDS GO UP AND DOWN AND THE MOTOR KEEPS RUNNING FOR ABOUT 10 SEC AND ALSO WHEN YOU TURN ON YOUR PARK LIGHTS THE POPS UP ITS NEVER DONE THIS UNTIL TO DAY ANY HELP . MAYBE ITS A CENSOR MAN THIS SUCKS

Flame Red / Orange Custom
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by txoutlaw69 View Post
    HAS ANY BODY HAVE THIS TROUBLE WHEN YOU HIT YOUR REMOTE YOUR LIDS GO UP AND DOWN AND THE MOTOR KEEPS RUNNING FOR ABOUT 10 SEC AND ALSO WHEN YOU TURN ON YOUR PARK LIGHTS THE POPS UP ITS NEVER DONE THIS UNTIL TO DAY ANY HELP . MAYBE ITS A CENSOR MAN THIS SUCKS
    Yeah its cause your nylon gears in your headlight motors. After a little while all Trans Am's/Firebird's do this but there is hope and its not too exspencive you can buy some brass gears for them open up you headlight motor's gear area and pullout the nylon gear and replace it with a brass gear put some epoxy around the edge of the gear cover and put it back on and you will never have to worry again, best of all it is only about 90 bucks here is a link to were you can but the kit
    >>>>http://www.rodneydickman.com/n113.html<<<<<< .
    All you have to do is take out your head light assembly then remove your headlight motor there is a cover that you have to pry off but dont break it pry in manny locations then with the cover removed you can get at the gear, pull off the shaft that sticks out pull out the old gear put some grease on the screw gear and then put the old bumper on the new brass gear then place it into the assembly put the shaft back on make sure it gose into the slots then take the cover and apply some epoxy around the edges not too much you dont want any getting in the motor its self put the cover back on and let dry for 15-30 min and reinstall. It should only take you a couple of hours to fix and for only about 90 bucks compaired to buying a new head light witch is around 300 bucks (and it will probably have the same problem after a while) well i hope this helps.
    98 Trans Am Custom Paint, Ghost Skuls On Racing Stripe + Custom Front Lip, :MODs Tubular K-member, Tubular Upper and lower A-arms, Tubular Control Arms, 4:10's, Cam L-.567/.575 D@.05-.212/.218,1.85 Roller Rockers, P&P Heads, ARH Headers & HF Cats & Y-Pipe, SLP loudmouth catback, +'s

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

http://www.rodneydickman.com/retail_new.html the best metal gear for your headlamp motor.

U-R-Sofa-King-Retarded SINISTER-TA's Avatar

NBM
    2002 Trans Am

Reading that post hurt my brain.

1998 Trans Am

lol

black
    02 trans am ws6

that's not to bad thanks for your help man that saves me a trip to the dealer where we all know what happens there

RED
    2002 FORMULA

On other threads guys will talk about turning the gear 90 deg, since you only use half to raise and lower lights. Also read another post the guy went to auto zone and purchased a plastic gear for 5.00 in the help section. I went ahead a got the brass gear and have had no more problem. Side note, never raise head lights while driving, always pull over.

Gold
    1998 Firebird ws6

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Customta98 View Post
    Yeah its cause your nylon gears in your headlight motors. After a little while all Trans Am's/Firebird's do this but there is hope and its not too exspencive you can buy some brass gears for them open up you headlight motor's gear area and pullout the nylon gear and replace it with a brass gear put some epoxy around the edge of the gear cover and put it back on and you will never have to worry again, best of all it is only about 90 bucks here is a link to were you can but the kit
    >>>>http://www.rodneydickman.com/n113.html<<<<<< .
    All you have to do is take out your head light assembly then remove your headlight motor there is a cover that you have to pry off but dont break it pry in manny locations then with the cover removed you can get at the gear, pull off the shaft that sticks out pull out the old gear put some grease on the screw gear and then put the old bumper on the new brass gear then place it into the assembly put the shaft back on make sure it gose into the slots then take the cover and apply some epoxy around the edges not too much you dont want any getting in the motor its self put the cover back on and let dry for 15-30 min and reinstall. It should only take you a couple of hours to fix and for only about 90 bucks compaired to buying a new head light witch is around 300 bucks (and it will probably have the same problem after a while) well i hope this helps.
    Had a little trouble putting the gears in until Ifigured out the metal post the gears fit on are a little different on the left and the right.

1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Hare View Post
    Had a little trouble putting the gears in until Ifigured out the metal post the gears fit on are a little different on the left and the right.
    thats not to bad for doing all of that tho and at least you figured it out

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

I try to limit how often I use my headlights. I'm fortunate enough to live in the city where theres tons of lights so I get away with using my fog lights most of the time.

pewter
    99 trans am ws6

Quote Originally Posted by rideon1200 View Post
    On other threads guys will talk about turning the gear 90 deg, since you only use half to raise and lower lights. Also read another post the guy went to auto zone and purchased a plastic gear for 5.00 in the help section. I went ahead a got the brass gear and have had no more problem. Side note, never raise head lights while driving, always pull over.
    is it bad to turn them on while driving

2000 Trans Am

that's not to bad thanks for your help man that saves me a trip to the dealer where we all know what happens there
    The search option at the top of the forum IS YOUR FRIEND!

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 99pewterta View Post
    is it bad to turn them on while driving
    yup... wears out the gears fast

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

also worth noting about the brass gears....brass is much heavier then the nylon/plastic gears...so keep in mind that is x times more stress on the motor to lift and close the headlights

changing/price of headlight motor > 5 dollar gear

Thread Information