Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Black
    1998 Black TA WS6

Question Volant Box vs SLP or other lid?

I am interested in doing modifications that are reversable to my car.

What is the concencus between the airlids such as SLP makes and the big box with filters that Volant makes?

It appears to me that most of the air that gets rammed through the factory set up is from the bottom nostirls.

The Volant looks like it catches air from both sets of nostrils but I have not seen if it seals to the hood or which is a better choice.

Anyone know the information on this one?

Thanks in Advance.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

I would get the volant
    I have 2 slp lids, one regular one and one blackwing. The blackwing is the only one i would recommend. But then again, some people hate the blackwing and some people hate the regular one.

Black
    1998 Black TA WS6

Question Volant Box VS SLP and other airlids

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    I would get the volant
    I have 2 slp lids, one regular one and one blackwing. The blackwing is the only one i would recommend. But then again, some people hate the blackwing and some people hate the regular one.
    Does the Volant require a lid not included in its kit? I have only seen pictures which make me think it seals to the hood like some old muscle car type systems. Also it seems to catch more air than the stock slit under the aircleaner.

I have heard good things about the Blackwing but first I would not need one with the volant right? but secondly I have not seen them for sale lately, where is the correct place to look? Are they still being sold new? SLP selected that for the Firehawk so I assumed it was what at least THEY felt was best.

But again not understanding the entire Volant system do I even need to worry about a lid or other ways to seal the box to the hood. The volant sure looks like the amount of air it can handle is larger, dont know about velocity but appears to be a sound design.

04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

Quote Originally Posted by thomasterrible View Post
    Does the Volant require a lid not included in its kit? I have only seen pictures which make me think it seals to the hood like some old muscle car type systems.
    Nope, no lid with the Volant. You are correct.

My SLP lid fits like crap. I've been searching for info on this for a while as well. Most air still flows up from underneath via the air ram down there, rather than thru the nostrils. I believe the Volant intake semi-seals to the hood to try to catch more air from the nostrils but I don't think it completely seals. I've read where some folks remove the hood baffles from the upper nostrils in conjunction with the Volant and are happy with that. You just have to be more wary of driving thru rain. But some folks also say their Volants had fitment issues as well, in particular that it's connectors to the radiator are weak or off-center.

Because of my lid fitment issues I've been thinking of trying the Volant. But at the end of the day, I've never seen anyone say conclusively that a lid or the Volant will work better or make more power than the other.

02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

PS. I've thought of combining the Volant intake with the bottom plate from the JAAM kit and removing the rain baffles from the nostrils. My thinking is that would provide a straight shot of air into the Volant. I don't know that it would necessarily increase intake or performance, but I think it would look like a sweet setup. But it depends on how tightly the Volant seal to the hood I guess...

Have you seen the JAAM kit? It's another option as well in conjunction with a lid that you could go with. Opinions vary with it, just like with all the other options...
    Last edited by Y2KPewterSS; 07-05-2010 at 04:46 PM. Reason: non sponsor links

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

Any aftermarket Air Lid will be better then stock. The Volant and K&N open element systems will also be better then stock aswell but are not as cost effective as a simple lid for the performance gain. JMO
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Schmalgar View Post
    PS. I've thought of combining the Volant intake with the bottom plate from the JAAM kit and removing the rain baffles from the nostrils. My thinking is that would provide a straight shot of air into the Volant. I don't know that it would necessarily increase intake or performance, but I think it would look like a sweet setup. But it depends on how tightly the Volant seal to the hood I guess....
    That seems like an idea there and i would be willing to try it but i just blew over $50 on an amsoil filter so i'm sticking with my lid. My SLP CAI and the volant with the ram air would mean a lot of air being pushed in at one time, but i'm just wondering if that would cause some sort of turbulence

Black
    1998 Black TA WS6

PS. I've thought of combining the Volant intake with the bottom plate from the JAAM kit and removing the rain baffles from the nostrils. My thinking is that would provide a straight shot of air into the Volant. I don't know that it would necessarily increase intake or performance, but I think it would look like a sweet setup. But it depends on how tightly the Volant seal to the hood I guess...

Have you seen the JAAM kit? It's another option as well in conjunction with a lid that you could go with. Opinions vary with it, just like with all the other options...

No was not aware of the JAMM, thanks will research. It actually appears to me that the WS6 ducts dont feed the stock small ram air slot, it is the lower ones. 60's muscle cars had systems that sealed to the hood and had a big openeing either in front NACA ducts similar to the WS6 hood or from the rear like on the 69 Z-28 which they acutally said they put the opening at the back due to the air turbulence against the windshield getting more air in to the system.

The stock system just seems like it is not engineered as well as it could be or taking advantage of the big hood which seems to me to be mostly for looks.

I just bought my black -98 bone stock, mint condition with 30,000 miles on it for 10 grand and want to make it a bit faster but not anything that will be hard to undo if I ever want to sell it if and when they truly become collectable and I actually want to sell it.

Thanks for the help,
    I will continue my minor reversable mods as money allows but really if I have to go fast I jump on my street bike that does the 1/4 in 10.0 seconds and is quite a thrill. One reason I got the car with low mileage was I cant afford new trans or such expensive items anytime soon, boosting engine load will not help me keep that goal.

Impounded

VW BEETLE W/ FLOWER
    88 CRX

i agree SLP fits like cheap chinese plastic. had too cut and scrape plastic too make it seal and fit right...but was cheap.

Black
    1998 Black TA WS6

JAAM reports no difference with snorkle covers off

I checked out the JAAM information and it does make sense that having both hood intake areas flowing will put more pressure in to the airbox for the ram air effect. I did notice their statement that there was NO difference in their testing with the hood snorkle screens on or off. It is difficult to tell if the volant will be positive or not, more area for air to fill is good but it may cause lower pressure which is defeating the ram air purpose, especially at low speeds. I need further research to decide upon this one. I agree that one must spend money carefully to get the most for the money, for example how much more is a programmer than the big airbox that is of questionable value? The JAAM seems like money well spent, but perhaps then exhaust components or a programmer would be money better spent.

Factory complex air intakes from the best muscle cars always had a seal to the hood openings bringing in air then an air filter. I think that still holds true.

As far as the question about turbulence that is a good thing as it means air is rushing in at high speed to the air box, the "straightening" of the air flow would become a factor of the air moving through the filters and in to the MAF which is a different issue.

Does anyone know wher to get the Black wing lid?

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Does anyone knew wher to get the Black wing lid?
    It was an OEM part that only came on SS Camaros and Firehawks
    You can find em on ebay and for sale sections. Just so you know there is no extra hp from the blackwing, but its a performance lid that fits like OEM.

02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Please don't post direct links to non sponsors
    I did not. Fast Toys Performance are indeed sponsors. That's why I had that little "sponsor link" quote above them even. How long did it take you to edit those out of those posts and quotes??

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

I did not. Fast Toys Performance are indeed sponsors. That's why I had that little "sponsor link" quote above them even. How long did it take you to edit those out of those posts and quotes??
    Post them back up, I fumbled.

02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Post them back up, I fumbled.
    heh thanks. The OP got to see them which is all that really mattered...

But for anyone else who's curious, here it is:
    http://fasttoys.net/shop/product_inf...oducts_id=1475

2003 Pitch Black ZX3

I am interested in doing modifications that are reversable to my car.

What is the concencus between the airlids such as SLP makes and the big box with filters that Volant makes?

It appears to me that most of the air that gets rammed through the factory set up is from the bottom nostirls.

The Volant looks like it catches air from both sets of nostrils but I have not seen if it seals to the hood or which is a better choice.

Anyone know the information on this one?

Thanks in Advance.
    I think encountered it before but I forgot it already. I will do some researcher so that I can tell you. I am looking also for that good Volant.

White
    1998 Trans Am

I went Volant and picked up a aftwermarket WS6 since I have a normal TA. Got rid of the hood restrictions little rivet drilling and cutting. Now when you look through the hood you see air filters, no water issues and it rains hard in Houston some times I drove it through 6" of water. I know the rubber seals againts the hood since it left light marks on the paintfrom the rubber seal rubbing. I love it. I never liked my lid even when I bouth the car that was the second thing that went after the muffler.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

Blackened fire chicken
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

heresthe the JAAM kit installed and the bottom picture has the aluminum "diverter plate"

Black
    1998 Black TA WS6

Thanks for the pics, how

How does it work in action? Notice any difference at all?

I am guessing that JAAM's claim of no difference with or without the nostril covers in or out is because the air box is filled as much as it can be either way....just my guess but their statement about the nostril inserts.

So you like the look of the volant but how about power increases.

That is my bag. For the two (JAAM/Volant) that is 500.00 plus right there, for that much I know I could get Hp from the exhaust section not to mention other areas.

I know it is hard to discern small amounts without a dyno, but can you tell a difference?

Blackened fire chicken
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

How does it work in action? Notice any difference at all?

I am guessing that JAAM's claim of no difference with or without the nostril covers in or out is because the air box is filled as much as it can be either way....just my guess but their statement about the nostril inserts.

So you like the look of the volant but how about power increases.

That is my bag. For the two (JAAM/Volant) that is 500.00 plus right there, for that much I know I could get Hp from the exhaust section not to mention other areas.

I know it is hard to discern small amounts without a dyno, but can you tell a difference?
    if you get the volant, i would NOT get the JAAM ram air kit, just do the free hood "debaffle" mod and it should be good, the volant wouldnt seal right with the JAAM so it would be a waste imho...if you get the JAAM kit, do the hood debaffle mod and get an airlid...either way, i think youll get about the same hp and torque from either set up, just a matter of preference/looks i guess

NBM
    2000 WS6

QUOTE=thomasterrible;2378288]How does it work in action? Notice any difference at all?

I have the Jamms Ram Air kit on my car....Nice set up..That said I gained 4th sec. in the 1/4 mile with the Jamms and a SLP lid over stock...... Sounds small but its not ....
    2000 NBM WS6

/oo_________oo\
    |==_/_ws6_\_==|

><(((º>´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information