Thread: VIN

VIN

I saw someone checking out the VIN on my car. Like what can a person do with that? Here in florida its manditory to have a title to register a car, which is locked so I dont think title fraud is an issue. Everyones VINs and licenses are exposed to the public so is there a possibility of some wrong doing?

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

With a Vin # and a fake title you can go to a dealer and get keys cut for a car with the correct chip in the drivers key. On newer cars you can "hack" those fob keys like on Vettes that all you need to be is inside 5 feet to start the car.

So protecting your VIN # these days is a must. My dash pad cover extends over my VIN #, if I had to show it I'll just pull it up.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

That would be my first suspicion also - someone wanting to make a key for the car.

Key

I dont think its that easy, if so it would be the #1 way thiefs steel cars and more would be stolen. But good luck to them with my steering wheel lock that goes to the pedal. THere may be a mail order way to do it but I am pretty sure at a dealer you would need some serious proof of ownership.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Nope, all I flashed was my registration and DL and $25 had my ignition key in 10 mins cut from the local dealer.

I can't see them targeting your car as a high priority, but Vettes, Mercedes, BMW's, certain Caddie's then yeah I could see them higher priority for thieves to get.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Bottom line is, if a real thief wants your car...there is NOTHING you can do about it. He/she will get it. Keep it in a garage, alarm, steering wheel locks, etc are all just minor deterrents that typically only keep petty thieves from trying to steal it. A professional will get it if they want it bad enough.

Not to scare you

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Could be setting you up for stealing your car as Scott said But i read in the paper that thieves are copying VIN #`s and using them in Canada on stolen vehicles with the same year,make and model for title and registration and selling the stolen vehicles to unsuspecting buyers- alot of owners are temporarily hiding their Vin# with a piece of tape or like ive seen on one guys Camaro a dollar bill .

Thread Information