White
    2000 Formula

Valve cover gasket replacement

I need to replace my leaking valve cover gaskets. I was wondering how hard the job is to accomplish, it looks like it could be a pain, and what gaskets should I use. My car is a 2000 Formula.

COTM July '09

BLK/BLK w/CGM Stripes
    2010 Camaro 2SS/M6

Use gm gaskets

Pretty easy job. There's a bunch (6?) of 10mm bolts holding down the coil pack bracket. Under them would be 4* 8mm bolts holding the valve cover on. The gaskets are rubber and pop off and on very easy. The only pain in the ass would be the most rear bolts on the coil brackets. They have little studs on them that other little brackets (wiring harness/etc.) bolt onto and therefore have an additional nut that needs to be taken out first and the bracket moved out of the way. The brackets may also be bolted to the back of the head, bend it out of the way instead of trying to mess with the other bolts.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Mean Green Z28; 01-13-2014 at 08:33 PM.
    I like work. It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

My Cardomain Site My Fquick site Custom Installs

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

It takes about 1h 15m to do, just make sure the rubber gasket is firmly in place and you may want to use a little Hylomar to hold it there. Good luck even though it's an easy job.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

White
    2000 Formula

Good info, it's exactly what I was looking for. My gaskets are on order, hopefully I'll get them before the weekend. Thanks!

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

It's not too bad to do. As posted, the rearmost bolt on the passenger side coil pack is the hardest to get to. Before starting, take a flat blade screwdriver and from under the cowl pop up the pins that hold the rubber seal in place. Those buggers are sharp and will shred your hands. Remove all the spark plug wires from the coils, unplug the harness connector to the coils, then unbolt the bracket that holds the coils from the rocker cover. Once those are out of the way, it's easy to pull the covers and swap out the gasket. I would have to look up the torque spec, but it isn't very much. When you reinstall the plug wires, make sure you hear/feel two "clicks" at the coil packs.

Take a good look at the seals for the valve cover bolts too. I had a couple that seeped on mine I had to replace. Another issue with those is that if they have been on the car since day one, they aren't as plyable as they once were and they sometimes tear when loosening the bolts, and will seep if you try to reuse. My opinion is that any good gasket set for these valve covers should include the seals for the bolts, but they cut corners any way they can.

Just a heads up so you're prepared.

White
    2000 Formula

I replaced the gaskets today, it took about three hours with an oil change. It is idling rough in gear, I must not have engaged a spark plug wire good enough. The two back ones on the passenger side are the ones I suspect. After it cools of I'm going to stick my arm up from underneath next to the right cat, and shoud be able to get that second click on the rearmost wire, not sure about the other, I guess we'll see later on. Is there a tool made for installing the spark plug wire that is special for the LS1 in the F -body?

Thanks everyone!

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

No tool that I am aware of. Take your time and double check all of them once the engine cools.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

inspect your pcv hose if it ends up not being the plug wires. Moving things around may have cracked that hose allowing it to suck some air in. pay particualar attention to where it bends to go into the intake. They like to crack there.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Quote Originally Posted by Axhammer View Post
    I replaced the gaskets today, it took about three hours with an oil change. It is idling rough in gear, I must not have engaged a spark plug wire good enough. The two back ones on the passenger side are the ones I suspect. After it cools of I'm going to stick my arm up from underneath next to the right cat, and shoud be able to get that second click on the rearmost wire, not sure about the other, I guess we'll see later on. Is there a tool made for installing the spark plug wire that is special for the LS1 in the F -body?

Thanks everyone!

not a tool per say but better....Long tube headers with CAT delete.....

most will take #6 & 8 coil packs off and push plug wire on plu then reattach the coil pack.

White
    2000 Formula

I removed and reinstalled the passenger side coil pack and it is running on all eight again. The good news is, my oil leak is gone, at least it doesn't leave a small puddle of oil every time I park it anymore. Between the snow and the cold weather, I haven't put it on jack stands to do a good inspection yet, but from the topside, its leak free!

Thanks Everyone!

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Good work!

Thread Information