Thread: Used Headers

red
    2000 WS6 MANUAL

Used Headers

Looking to purchase some used Kooks Headers what should i look at to make sure everything is fine? Also are ceramic coated KOOKS ok? Thanks

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Just lay them down on a bench and make sure the flange isn't bent. Anything but stainless steel will wear out eventually. Check out the coating and keep that in mind. If they are a really good deal, go ahead. When you install the long tubes, you should be able to put new O2's on right away. WIth new headers, it is advisable to replace your O2's after 500-1000 miles because the new surface inside the headers will burn off into your O2's. But with used, you shouldn't have that problem.

red
    2000 WS6 MANUAL

Quote Originally Posted by az gt eater View Post
    Just lay them down on a bench and make sure the flange isn't bent. Anything but stainless steel will wear out eventually. Check out the coating and keep that in mind. If they are a really good deal, go ahead. When you install the long tubes, you should be able to put new O2's on right away. WIth new headers, it is advisable to replace your O2's after 500-1000 miles because the new surface inside the headers will burn off into your O2's. But with used, you shouldn't have that problem.
    So what do I do when the coating where's off? They are 500 bucks seems like a good deal...thanks

red
    2000 WS6 MANUAL

Quote Originally Posted by az gt eater View Post
    They have a little rust on the inside is that a issue? Thanks

Red, Black
    98 T/A M6, 79 T/A 6.6L

I ended up going tsp 17/8 I got for just over 7 with an ORY. If you're gonna go spend 500 I'd just pony up a couple extra $100 for the tsp. They are excellent quality.

But If you're just looking to save $$ I've got some used SLP headers I bought but never installed if u want em. They are scraped a bit but seem fine.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

I have had SLP headers on my car since new (dealer installed) and 11 years later they still look and preform well. I have some finish issues with the ceramic coating but SS will not peel. Save the $$$ and go with the SLP's. Who looks at headers anyway ?
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Quote Originally Posted by WS SIX View Post
    They have a little rust on the inside is that a issue? Thanks
    No, it shouldn't be. You will get the same with any headers except stainless steel. As far as the outside goes, if the coating is starting to go, you could wrap them with header tape. That replicates the ceramic coating by keeping the heat in the headers instead af allowing it to heat up the engine compartment.

red
    2000 WS6 MANUAL

The ceramic coating is still good. Is there a good way to clean them before the install? The inside (little rust) and out (ceramic coated) thanks!!!

red
    2000 WS6 MANUAL

Also would it be best to just get the kooks y pipe to match or go to my local muffler shop and have them custom make a y pipe which probably would be cheaper thanks!

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

I don't know about cleaning them. As far as the Y goes, get the right one. The fitment and especially the merge needs to be perfect. While a muffler guy could make one, I would bet good money he couldn't do as well as Kooks.

2002 Trans Am WS6 - Red
    2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ

Quote Originally Posted by goof4080 View Post
    I ended up going tsp 17/8 I got for just over 7 with an ORY. If you're gonna go spend 500 I'd just pony up a couple extra $100 for the tsp. They are excellent quality.

But If you're just looking to save $$ I've got some used SLP headers I bought but never installed if u want em. They are scraped a bit but seem fine.
    goof4080,

How much do you want for the SLP headers? Long or short?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Kooks headers are stainless. No idea what brand you got sold to you as Kooks.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Stainless headers don't need ceramic coating. For $500, I'd go with a new set of Texas Speeds polished stainless headers.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Kooks headers are stainless. No idea what brand you got sold to you as Kooks.

I was thinking the same thing when I read this thread tonight.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I know some people coat their stainless steel headers, but he stated they rusted through. That wouldn't happen to stainless steel headers.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Thread Information