Silver
    2002 Firebird T/A - WS6

Uneven Headlight covers

I noticed over the weekend when looking straight on at the front of my WS6, the driverside headlight cover is about 1/4 to 3/8" higher than the passenger side. I can push down on the cover and it will go down to the level of the other one.
    Has anyone else noticed this, and if so- is it hard to fix? I'm sure it must have something to do with where the gear system is set up.

Now that I have seen this, it is easy to notice and looks bad- it makes the front look off-balance.

Thanks for your replies.

Artic White
    96 Formula Firebird

Are you refering to the pop-up end..... when closed it sets a little open???

If so, the problem could be that there are plastic tabs on the plastic bar that runs along the frount end that stop the up and down movement of the headlight. If the tab is broken off the headlight will raise up again even after closed.

If it is cracked, it will rasie partly after closeing.

Depenging how much it is damaged.... you might be able to drill a hole where the tab is at and then place a flathead screw and a couple of nuts in the hole to replace the broken(cracked) tab. The screw and nuts replace the tabs. Make sure the nuts are about the diameter as the tabs.

(IF that is the problem.... I know this will work... I did it on my car!!!!!!) No problem siince then.

RED, BLACK
    2001 WS6, 1998 TA

On my ws6 it is the passenger side. The rear edge of the headlight cover is higher then the hood. Whenever I walk past my car in the garage it is the first thing I see, even with the custom paint. I haven't had the time to really look at what it will take to fix, since I've only owned the car for a year now. I was thinking I can just adjust it on the headlight asm. mounting bolts. I will probably have to drill out the holes a little and readjust the aim on the headlights. I've done this same trick on some of my other restoration projects I've done and it worked.

Silver
    2002 Firebird T/A - WS6

Thanks guys- it's the front edge up too high from the bottom when closed/down. I'll check it out and try your suggestion wabmorgan.

Madeche Vision...soon The Scientist's Avatar

NBM
    '98 Ram Air Formula

Another thing to look at is the four screws that hold the metal headlamp cover in place. Each screw hole allows for adjustment, two in the back and two in the front. That may help a little also. The covers come off quite easily and perhaps one of the screws has fallen out.

coleman
    I noticed mine is a little off last year. In my case it is the plastic tab thing being worn on the corner, but I think the root causes was I had to replace the motor gear. When we put the motor back in, it wasn't quite right/completely tight, which allowed one of the lever arms to wiggle a bit and end up slipping past the stop once in a while, eventually wearing through it. The end result is mine now closes a little too far so the trailing edge of the cover closer to the passenger side is slightly higher then it should be.

Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen WS6
    On my ws6 it is the passenger side. The rear edge of the headlight cover is higher then the hood. Whenever I walk past my car in the garage it is the first thing I see, even with the custom paint. I haven't had the time to really look at what it will take to fix, since I've only owned the car for a year now. I was thinking I can just adjust it on the headlight asm. mounting bolts. I will probably have to drill out the holes a little and readjust the aim on the headlights. I've done this same trick on some of my other restoration projects I've done and it worked.

Damn... mine is the same way. I'll have to check this out!

Silver
    2002 Firebird T/A - WS6

The Scientist is apparently correct! When I got home yesterday, I left the headlights up and sure enough, the cover is up and it looks like the screw is not holding the cover to the black plastic frame- the tab on the cover is visible, and not being held by anything...now- how the *$(@$&*@ do I get in there to find/tighten the screw/s?!

NBM
    '98 Ram Air Formula

You will have to take a few pieces off to fully expose it. Primarily the black piece surrounding the lights. If i remember correctly one tab is just inside of the low beam and the other tab for the front is actually on the side to the outside of the high beam. Also check the two in the back that can be seen when the hood is open and lights are down. There is actually a lot of room for adjustment but be careful that it wont hit the hood when the lights open and close.

NBM
    '98 Ram Air Formula

Did you get it fixed????????????

RED, BLACK
    2001 WS6, 1998 TA

Thanks, I just got the cover readjusted and it now lines up the way it should. That was alot easier then how I was thinking of doing the adjusting.

silver
    2002 TA WS6 A4-Vert

now I got to go and check mine!!!!!! I can't see it being out of line because according to my husband I'm anal about that stuff and notice everything

NBM
    '98 Ram Air Formula

If you need help let us know.

Thread Information